The Feel vs The Real

Jason89er

Working hard to escape golf mediocrity purgatory…
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Another thread got me talking about this. What I mean by this is what does it feel like like you’re doing but in reality something else is happening in your golf swing? Whether it’s in a full swing, short game or putting.

My biggest Feel vs Real is my backswing. I used to have a very flat backswing. The feel I use to correct this is once I get past my takeaway I have to feel like I am taking the club straight up in the air. Like 90 degrees straight up. In reality (verified on video) I end up taking it right on a good plane. Certainly not straight up. Quite eye opening and has worked quite well for me.

Who else uses this type of method and what Feel vs Real do you have? Could be very useful to hear.

I feel like I'm hitting my putts in the middle of the face but numerous people have told me that I tend to hit it in the heel. All depends on how far away I am from the ball. That's why I'm working on posture & alignment.

The biggest feel vs real for me came in my setup. I felt like I was square. In reality I was pointed way left of target. So now when I set up I pull my rear shoulder back, it feels like I'm pointed off to the right now, but I'm actually square.

A lot of folks are critical of using feel to build an improved swing and I don't really get it. I get that what we feel often doesn't video, but if that "wrong" feel consistently produces better results, what difference does it make?

Biggest for me is the over exaggeration of my backswing. When I get lazy it comes inside real quick that can lead to OTT.

So I “salad barred” my lessons. Used some fundamentals, some structured moves, some drills and worked them into my swing. Not all feel. Not all angles and swing points ect. Bit of both.

Crazy. I had this old thread pop up from 1 year and 3 days ago. This was part of that old post above. Having a year pass and seeing this my guess is most of the structure and position based learning became a normal part of my swing. And even a year later a particular feel is what keeps my swing where it needs to be. My “natural” aka bad habit to swing overly flat is over powered by this feel I have developed. Hopefully what is a feel now becomes more “natural” than unnatural aka a GOOD habit and swinging flat is what would feel unnatural.

Golf is like that. 😳

I struggle with the hooks. Yes I can power fade. I’m a 20 capper. A good miss for me is a straight block push right.

I have to feel I’m triggering with my hips. Swinging out to 2 o’clock.

yet real still can result in a 45 degree draw.

A lot of folks are critical of using feel to build an improved swing and I don't really get it. I get that what we feel often doesn't video, but if that "wrong" feel consistently produces better results, what difference does it make?

I agree 1000% sir.

To quote Mr Hogan:
“Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing.

Oh man, video showed me feel vs real is not even close. Very eye opening

The only feel vs real sensation I have is a club-ball contact that feels like a hot knife going through warm butter.

After that, all my feels are actually visuals. Ball flight visuals.

I'm not much of a "feel is real" kind of guy. Been this way for a few decades.

Standing up the club on my downswing. It's a Malaska technique. I FEEL like I'm standing the club straight up and down when I start my downswing. In actuality, when I'm on with my timing it's falling right "in the slot" rather than laid off where I have to save the swing with my hands. I'm still working on it.........

The biggest feel vs real for me came in my setup. I felt like I was square. In reality I was pointed way left of target. So now when I set up I pull my rear shoulder back, it feels like I'm pointed off to the right now, but I'm actually square.
I have to tuck my left shoulder in and it feel sooo closed but is actually neutral...

Sure I'll have others on the take back and delivering the club

Biggest surprise feel/real when I look at my self on video My swing it’s how much past parallel top of my swing was My putting stroke is how stiff wristy I am I feel like I’m moving my thumb joints when I putt. In the address position in my swing I have a side tilt towards my left ear and that make me feel every move is parallel to the ground

Yeah I’ve come to realize that I really have to work to feel like I’m exaggerating the movements I want to make for a few weeks. The problem comes in once the change is grooved and I start over exaggerating. It seems to be a constant battle of maintaining the level I want.

Standing up the club on my downswing. It's a Malaska technique. I FEEL like I'm standing the club straight up and down when I start my downswing. In actuality, when I'm on with my timing it's falling right "in the slot" rather than laid off where I have to save the swing with my hands. I'm still working on it.........

Yeah I would love the shallow out my clubs more also at some point but for 2022 I’m just trying to lock in what’s working. And slowly creep in some earlier hip turn. I think my club may naturally shallow out a bit by itself if I can get my hips moving sooner. That late hip turn has ALWAYS been a struggle for me. Back to the feel vs real I actually feel like my hips/lower body start the downswing. But I’m not even close yet. Arms and body are pretty much firing at the same time now. Not gonna get ahead of myself though. It’s costing me some lag and power but my ball striking has never been as consistent as it has been the last 3 months. And I do have some lag. More than I’ve ever had. No need to get greedy.

YET. 😎

After that, all my feels are actually visuals. Ball flight visuals.
It doesn't really matter what my swing looks like on video. It doesn't matter how different the swing looks compared to a tour pro's. If I can make the ball do what I want it do and then associate a feel with that, I'm better off. If I'm not getting the ball flight I want, I have to make a change. It's easier for me to change with feel than to try and analyze video.

Back