Mulligans are getting out of control.

For those who don't care about excessive mulligans, does that apply to mulligans on the green also?
Where does it end?
Golf has a preferred flow to it and your excessive mulligans without even asking is selfish and inconsiderate. I don't care if no one is in front of us I would like to keep the flow going and finish my round in a timely fashion if possible. I'm not out here to watch your practice round.

I guess I just don’t care enough about how others choose to enjoy the game.

100% this! Enjoy golf how you want just keep pace! Live your life your way and enjoy

For those who don't care about excessive mulligans, does that apply to mulligans on the green also?
Where does it end?
Golf has a preferred flow to it and your excessive mulligans without even asking is selfish and inconsiderate. I don't care if no one is in front of us I would like to keep the flow going and finish my round in a timely fashion if possible. I'm not out here to watch your practice round.

Maybe you should just play as a single then all of the time. Then no one will bother you??

A breakfast ball is fairly common but I don’t really see that many mulligans being taken.

Occasionally someone will take a second tee shot and a lot of times that will end up being faster than them trying to play from the first shot.

In competition: No such thing.

In league rounds or serious money matches: I may reputt a missed putt to see why it rolled different than I thought. Its quick and painless and I don't spend any time over it in reality.

In pure fun rounds with friends who are bad: I tend not to use them except a breakfast ball on the first tee or if they want me to try some shot I'd not normally play ( drive over a pond, bomb a fairway around a corner, etc. )

Where does it end?
What if you're waiting on the group in front of you anyway/no matter what? If someone takes a mulligan on one hole so then your wait on the next tee box is 1 minute shorter, is that a bad thing?

I think The Grint has made handicaps more competitive between friends, if that makes sense. People are making judgements on how good friends are from their rounds and handicaps on the app, and your handicap is on a leaderboard sizing you up to people you know if real life.

You can certainly argue that no one should care, but I find that almost everyone cares and griefs our friend who shoots really low scores when not playing with us and hearing from his playing partners that he is just taking a dozen mulligans. His handicap is suddenly lower than another friend who has been playing much longer and is objectively better, which is frustrating for him. Right or wrong, just giving 1 reason as to "Why would anyone care what my score is?"

Let me pipe in with a bit of a Matthew McConaughey take.

when is a mulligan an mulligan? Is it a mulligan if you are out on the course for kicks and playing solo and you are using the time for what is essentially practice? Not really keeping or posting a score? Or is it a mulligan if it is a competition of sorts and you then decide to take another shot at no cost?

When did the mulligan even begin? What does mulligan even mean? I mean the word alone suggests it is old and potentially has been around since the dinosaur days of golf with wooden sticks and leather pouches stuffed with feathers for balls.

And if the word is as old as the game and Old Tom Morris was the person that coined the phrase. Who are we at this point, nearly millennia later to trample on such a historic and storied tradition? As a traditionalist and someone that truly wants to honor the game from its roots to its leaves. I am offended.

Maybe you should just play as a single then all of the time. Then no one will bother you??
Maybe people who want to take dozens of mulligans should go out as a single.

I feel like dozens of mulligans is maybe a slight exaggeration. At least by maybe one or two.

When I play casual rounds there is no money involved so what do I care what other people do. If they are slow I just drive off and they get the hint.

Shoot, on our guys trip, one of the guys was really struggling, and even though we were playing for money and skins, we would give him a mulligan after a topped 5 yard drive. We would never let him win a skin after that, but in our best ball game, it was small change over the course of 5 rounds.

Maybe that person is new and does not understand some things that happen on course. How about you help them and encourage them!

I don't care how folks enjoy their round, so long as they're keeping pace and not being disrespectful. I've definitely played rounds where I'm working on something specific and took a few off the tee. But in those rounds, I'm not posting my score. If I am posting a score, it's called a provisional and marked as such.

My usual group will allow mulligans from the tee, with the same caveats above. We're each playing our own game, and not paying for money and just out to enjoy some socialization, and time on the course. And we're always conscious of our pace, or if someone is right on our heels. We'll adjust accordingly.

if it's a fun round, which 90% of mine are, then if i hit a fat shot i usually have a ball in my pocket drop it and reload.
That’s what I’ll do too. Not necessarily full on Tin Cup, but if I hit a chunky wedge I’ll try to knock my practice shot close. Then I’ll play out my original and grab my practice ball when we hit the green.

I feel like dozens of mulligans is maybe a slight exaggeration. At least by maybe one or two.
I’ve only seen something like that once. And we (they) hit a dozen total on the second or third hole. Most of the time mulligans are used it’s one or two per person, per round. It’s pretty rare to run into anyone taking a mulligan out here.

When playing with friends (usually b4 3pm- and not on weekends), we will have the "occasional Breakfast Ball- aka 2 off the 1st tee). Also, since we're just playing for fun, we allow a "Mully" with the stipulation that; Cannot be used on 9-18 or any Par 3. Only 1 per side. I haven't seen us holding anyone up anytime.

during our group outing we play a game called reverse mulligan... take as many mulligans as you want, but as newtons law states... every action has an equal and opposite reaction....

Take a mulligan - i get to call a reverse mulligan on you during a good shot and shout "DO IT AGAIN!"

Other than that - one mulligan a side is a lot.

We have never held up a group playing that game or taking mulligans - it is a quick reload.

during our group outing we play a game called reverse mulligan... take as many mulligans as you want, but as newtons law states... every action has an equal and opposite reaction....

Take a mulligan - i get to call a reverse mulligan on you during a good shot and shot "DO IT AGAIN!"

Other than that - one mulligan a side is a lot.

We have never held up a group playing that game or taking mulligans - it is a quick reload.
Ha that is actually a fun idea.

100% this! Enjoy golf how you want just keep pace! Live your life your way and enjoy
That’s right. Life is too short to be uptight, as long as the pace is brisk! 🤣

mul·li·gan
/ˈməliɡən/
Learn to pronounce

noun
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN

1. 1.
    a stew made from odds and ends of food.

I reckon I’m old enough to remember “you can tell a lot about a person by the way the play golf”

All you gotta do now is follow them on Instagram. People living the dream!! 🤣

But by all means, if you wanna play crybaby whack phuck, go for it! Pick whichever rules you want! Have fun!

Just don’t call it golf.
but it IS golf. :)

Back