Putter Advice Needed for Mid-Handicap

Double Drops

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m really undecided on what route I want to go with my putter and I’m looking for any and all input.
I currently game a Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 4. I’ve improved a little with it since I bought it early last year, but putting is by far the weakest part of my game. My main issue is distance control. I recently ditched the thicker Super Stroke grip and replaced it with a much thinner pistol style grip and that has seemed to help some. However, I’m still so inconsistent with all my putts. I have no confidence whatsoever when I line up to put.
I’m debating going with a completely new putter because I’m to the point that I don’t think I’ll ever have confidence in the one I have now. I’ve tried several different putters and I’m just not sure which route I need to go. The ones that have felt the best to me were the TaylorMade Spider X and the Scotty Cameron Newport 2. I realize those are pretty much on the opposite ends of the spectrum for putters, but I really don’t know which route to take. I much prefer the look of a blade, but I don’t know if I need to keep trying it since I’m so inconsistent with the one I have now.
Any advice would be highly appreciated!

I suggest going mid-mallet. Gives you the look of a blade but some added mass to help distance control. I would be remiss not to suggest the Cobra Vintage Widesport, which is what I am rolling now. Before that I was rolling the Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide very well. Both put excellent roll on the ball and were great with distance control.

I’d suggest a fitting, might cost a few dollars but will help find the right equipment for your stroke.

I agree with the suggestion that a fitting is probably best. (I’ve never done a putter fitting myself)

I was adamant about sticking with a blade style putter for the longest time. After several putters, including a Scotty Squareback that I liked but really didn’t do much to help, my putting was pretty dismal. Also issues with distance control.

Finally stumbled across a Huntington Beach 10.5c (small mallet, center shaft) for not a lot of $ it’s been pretty good since. I do practice a bit more too, so that’s helped as well.

If I had to do it all over again, I’d probably start with a fitting by much earlier in the process.

Last edited:
I don't know your putting technique so it's difficult for me to offer advice.

Obviously more practice will help, but if you don’t like the Cleveland you’re not going to be very motivated. I like being able to adjust head weight and grips to find a balance that I like. Still gotta spend time on the green though. I’ve probably configured the same NP2 in 40-50 different ways just to see what’s what.

Gotta find your happy place.

If you’re committed to improving. First off is pervasive practice, then a fitting. Then committing to the club that you were fit for.

I’ll throw in a lesson or two as well before fitting and with practice.

You can improve. I know, because i did. Used to be terrible a lot , a lot, of 3 putts, for me practice and finding a high moi putter that looked good (to me) at address made the difference.

Yet here i am, still tinkering have a mid/small mallet to fool around with.

So, what do i know.

I’m really undecided on what route I want to go with my putter and I’m looking for any and all input.
I currently game a Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 4. I’ve improved a little with it since I bought it early last year, but putting is by far the weakest part of my game. My main issue is distance control. I recently ditched the thicker Super Stroke grip and replaced it with a much thinner pistol style grip and that has seemed to help some. However, I’m still so inconsistent with all my putts. I have no confidence whatsoever when I line up to put.
I’m debating going with a completely new putter because I’m to the point that I don’t think I’ll ever have confidence in the one I have now. I’ve tried several different putters and I’m just not sure which route I need to go. The ones that have felt the best to me were the TaylorMade Spider X and the Scotty Cameron Newport 2. I realize those are pretty much on the opposite ends of the spectrum for putters, but I really don’t know which route to take. I much prefer the look of a blade, but I don’t know if I need to keep trying it since I’m so inconsistent with the one I have now.
Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Back here again because ... I've been fitted for a putter several times by Edel, Artisan, etc. I've been on the SAM many times.

You can do a fitting. But as a 36 HC, I'd suggest you work on grip, setup, and technique.

IN my last SAM fitting, I holed an unheard of 19/20 putts from 20 feet. But SAM said I was not accelerating on the downswing (of the putt), so even though my instructor was very impressed, I still had work to do.

You might go to https://flatstickacademy.com/ (David Orr is a geek but a putting instructor) for a few months and learn a basic great technique of putting and learn to use the shoulders the right way and how to aim.

I know the weight, lie, shape, face, length, etc of the putter and the ball you use make a difference as to consistency - I used a borrowed putter for a round or two and while 6-8 feet were good, long putts were suspect.

My advice after 30 yrs of consistently playing and getting fit is to work on your grip and stroke, and then get fit for a putter. It's easier for a fitter to fit you correctly when you are consistent in technique and have a good, basic technique

Too many golfers think the magic is in new equipment. I did at one time but I was wrong. No, no, no. The magic is knowing how to swing a club and how to use it. Discover how to use the club first, then get fit.

Last edited:
If distance control is your issue, I'd take a long look at this thread and the article about these putters...Odyssey Ai One Putter line

I had my first putter fitting last year and was fit for a mallet. I prefer the look of a blade so I went with a double wide. it was ok, but I switched to a mallet a month ago and have had much better results.

It comes down to why you miss; direction and speed. I had an issue with my hands twisting at times with a pull or push. Going with a heavier mallet (I swapped out the two 15 gram weights for two 40 gram weights) has helped reduce my hands twisting. Working on my aim line; lining up the putt with the alignment aid has helped with the line.

Speed is the biggest variable for me. A lot of it is feel, but I do better with hard numbers. Not that this is a perfect plan, but I keep a similar putting stroke speed for all putts, save for things that are 40+ feet.

I will warm up by bringing the putter to the inside of my trail foot and hit a 'normal' putt on a flat portion of the green. Doing this a number of times gives me the distance that putting stroke will go. I will do the same brining the putter head to the outside of my trail foot and get that distance. I now have a putting stroke with 2 distances. I will pace off my putts and if it is slightly longer than one of those distances, I know to take the putter a little further back; shorter and I will take a smaller putting stroke. You can adjust for up and downhill putts, too.

The last suggestion is to practice before your round with only 6 foot putts. It helps build some confidence before the round, and it covers those putts that you leave yourself during the round after a poor lag and blasting a putt by the hole. Anything over 10 feet I want to get it close, but at that 6 foot mark, I start to see a descent chance of making it. Working on these putts will save strokes.

For a season, I spent every Friday lunch hour at a local practice green. Pretty well just did lag putting. My goal was within three foot. Limited it to straight lines. It definitely helped.

Bought a cheap putting map and use it most winters. 6 foot only. Beyond that, the payback is way less.

I spend an hour one a month or whenever I go to the local shop and pick up every putter model in the shop and try a few balls. I discovered I work better with a full heavy mallet, plumbers bend and 34 inch. Bought a used Spyder (probably 7 or 8 years old) and use it exclusively. It is beat to crap, but for me, it works.

Back