The 60 and over Thread

For my stats I count shots stopping on the fringe as GIR when it's an obvious putting situation. That's more meaningful to me than recording them as up/down attempts.
So you're still 4 for 11 ;) .
15 was a 2 putt birdie. That hole should be a par 4 anyway. You have to put the tee shot in the right position though to have a shot at getting there in 2. There are a couple a stretches on that course where you can get hot and have a lot of chances.

15 was a 2 putt birdie. That hole should be a par 4 anyway. You have to put the tee shot in the right position though to have a shot at getting there in 2. There are a couple a stretches on that course where you can get hot and have a lot of chances.
Ah, another example of putting stats potentially being misleading. In my case I count eagle and birdie putts together in the long term average of 18% that I mentioned.

The discussion on tee yardages was interesting. I often blend tees at courses where the yardages don’t fit my game. A course I play often has the middle tees at 6,339 yards - par 71 70.5/118 and the forward at 5,606 67.1/111. At this stage in life my game is not up to the longer set of tees but the forward set are too short. I play the middle tees save for the 5 longest par 4 holes. On those I move up to forward. I adjust the rating and slope when posting scores.

I just noticed @Birdman03 that you are in San Antonio. I visit family there a couple times a year. I played a few places in San Antonio - La Cantera, Cedar Creek, Hill Country. Are you familiar with the north side courses? What have I missed?

i hate the traffic in your town so I tend to not venture too far. Please toss out some names for me to consider for my next visit.

I just noticed @Birdman03 that you are in San Antonio. I visit family there a couple times a year. I played a few places in San Antonio - La Cantera, Cedar Creek, Hill Country. Are you familiar with the north side courses? What have I missed?

i hate the traffic in your town so I tend to not venture too far. Please toss out some names for me to consider for my next visit.
If you want to avoid driving through the city and stay on the north side, look into these courses:

The Quarry
Canyon Springs
Northern Hills
Olympia Hills
Tapatio Springs
Buckhorn
Vaaler Creek

I hear you on the traffic, but a lot of it depends on the time of day.

Some of you guys shoot net par as often as I hit the snacks cabinet. Golf isn’t supposed to be that easy…
What am I doing wrong??? 🤷‍♂️

Ah, another example of putting stats potentially being misleading. In my case I count eagle and birdie putts together in the long term average of 18% that I mentioned.
Well, that’s the way the PGA Tour does it. 😎 I wonder if you make a putt from the fringe if it counts towards total length of putts made? I would say no since you’re not on the green.

My last two rounds, I have tried something really different with my putting. I don't know where I saw it or what made me think of it. I putt left-hand low, which I have done before, but now with the left hand at the very bottom of the grip, and my right hand at the very top, so my hands are "split apart". It feels strange, but seems to give me better control of the putter and a smoother stroke. I am not known for making a lot of putts, but being very good at distance control, so rarely three-putting. With this change in how I grip the putter, I feel that I have made some putts that I ordinarily would not have made. I seem to be able to get the ball going more on-line and where I am aiming.

One of the guys I play with tried it and found he was able to putt the ball more on-line, but felt he would need to work on it to get his distance control better.

Finally get a chance to go try new 58* wedges today, Not an "official" wedge fitting but I have a monitor on an outdoor Trackman range lined up do I can get feedback on all aspects of ball flight using Callaway range balls . Smart Sole, CBX4, Mizuno T23 are my main points of interest We already have a fresh RTX tour rack in the stable, but I am trying to get my kid to play it to match his 54* RTX, and keep that Mizuno S22 4* X grind on the rack in these sloppy conditions. He is a very good ball striker, but 4* bounce in spring slop is asking for some blown shots. Particularly since I taught him the "use the bounce" method for chipping and short pitches.......

It is odd how this new Smart Sole 64* has changed my short game perspective. I no longer have to open up a 58* much at all for anything. I am quite capable of hitting a 2 hop and stop flighted wedge, but with the tight gapping of my wedge setup and the reliably predictable spin of modern balls off of modern grooves, I hardly ever need it. If I want to moderate flight height and spin, just move up a club or two and swing easier. These aren't the 80's where I went from 45* to 58* in three clubs and you had to be a lot more creative. If I want to hit a flop, use the 64. going with more forgiving wedges just makes sense to me at this point. I have to drop something at the top to make room. Thats OK. I dont need the pinpoint gapping at the top because the odds are I'm not hitting the green from way out there anyhow.
I'm embracing the 5 wedge game, even if my "PW" is really just a 9 iron in drag.

Last edited:
Some of you guys shoot net par as often as I hit the snacks cabinet. Golf isn’t supposed to be that easy…
What am I doing wrong??? 🤷‍♂️
If it was easy, anyone could do it.

It’s not just about hitting the ball well; although, that helps. Putting, short game and being able to play from 100 yards in are more important IMNSHO. I played with a guy yesterday who gave up at least 8 shots with his putting and short game.

Wow.

I also have a Rogue ST Max and swing around 85-90 mph. If I could get 13 more yards, I would be ecstatic! 😃

Is the Speeder one of the shaft choices that comes with the Qi10, or is it a costly upgrade?

No reply, but I did some research:

*At Golf Galaxy, the Speeder shaft as one of the choices for the TM Qi10.

*At the PGA Tour Superstore, the Speeder is not offered as a choice.

Strange . . . . . :unsure:

Yeah, that is strange. I thought it was the OEM's that determined what stock shafts were offered.

Yeah, that is strange. I thought it was the OEM's that determined what stock shafts were offered.
The retailer determines which shafts they will order and inventory.

Well, that’s the way the PGA Tour does it. 😎 I wonder if you make a putt from the fringe if it counts towards total length of putts made? I would say no

Finally get a chance to go try new 58* wedges today, Not an "official" wedge fitting but I have a monitor on an outdoor Trackman range lined up do I can get feedback on all aspects of ball flight using Callaway range balls . Smart Sole, CBX4, Mizuno T23 are my main points of interest We already have a fresh RTX tour rack in the stable, but I am trying to get my kid to play it to match his 54* RTX, and keep that Mizuno S22 4* X grind on the rack in these sloppy conditions. He is a very good ball striker, but 4* bounce in spring slop is asking for some blown shots. Particularly since I taught him the "use the bounce" method for chipping and short pitches.......

It is odd how this new Smart Sole 64* has changed my short game perspective. I no longer have to open up a 58* much at all for anything. I am quite capable of hitting a 2 hop and stop flighted wedge, but with the tight gapping of my wedge setup and the reliably predictable spin of modern balls off of modern grooves, I hardly ever need it. If I want to moderate flight height and spin, just move up a club or two and swing easier. These aren't the 80's where I went from 45* to 58* in three clubs and you had to be a lot more creative. If I want to hit a flop, use the 64. going with more forgiving wedges just makes sense to me at this point. I have to drop something at the top to make room. Thats OK. I dont need the pinpoint gapping at the top because the odds are I'm not hitting the green from way out there anyhow.
I'm embracing the 5 wedge game, even if my "PW" is really just a 9 iron in drag.
That's good info, I'm thinking of trying a Smart Sole wedge also. Most of the greenside areas where I play are wet this time of year. It's mostly from the sprinklers.

I like 50/10 and 54/10 deg RTX wedges for most partial shots, but they invariably dig in too much in muddy ground. That Mizuno 4 deg bounce your son is playing would only work for me if the lie is dry and mostly perfect.

I can putt with an Halo XL 5iron or a 4h also if ground is wet but fairly flat and smooth.

I noticed it years ago. In fact when I ordered my G425 FWs I noticed the shaft I wanted wasn’t listed anywhere except 2nd Swing.
If you order in store, PGASS will call TM and get any of the available shaft options they offer. The problem is they’re not all available in store to demo.

Last edited:
If it was easy, anyone could do it.

It’s not just about hitting the ball well; although, that helps. Putting, short game and being able to play from 100 yards in are more important IMNSHO. I played with a guy yesterday who gave up at least 8 shots with his putting and short game.
I play with many random golfers, and for the ones that have a decent/better than average game I think a lot of them fit that description.

Good power off the tee with maybe a mostly controllable slice, and decent contact on approach shots. With partial shots and especially from bunkers they lose quite a few strokes. They rarely have tap in pars, which for me are the hallmark of the "breaking 80" golfer.

I noticed it years ago. In fact when I ordered my G425 FWs I noticed the shaft I wanted wasn’t listed anywhere except 2nd Swing.
If you order in store, PGASS will call TM and get any of the available shaft options they offer.

The problem is they’re not all available in store to demo.

This, 100%.

I play with many random golfers, and for the ones that have a decent/better than average game I think a lot of them fit that description.

Good power off the tee with maybe a mostly controllable slice, and decent contact on approach shots. With partial shots and especially from bunkers they lose quite a few strokes. They rarely have tap in pars, which for me are the hallmark of the "breaking 80" golfer.
I agree. Golfers should work on having a lot of tap in pars when trying to break 80. 😉

Freeway construction and horrid traffic conspired to keep me from getting to Carls. I stopped at GG to hit those wedges in their trackman. Guy says "we have a demo in these but not this ( the Smart Sole) but I can tape it up for you to try."
And this was after I explained what I wanted to hit and why I bought my gamer ball to hit. Yea, I'll get a lot of useful spin and carry info off a taped face. Moron.
So I didn't try the G430 10K Max with a shaft I hadn't hit yet either. Might have cost them the sale of two clubs.
I'll try Carls on the weekend when the traffic won't be as bad. They have demos and associates with brains.

I got my new iron shafts yesterday, pulled the old shafts from the 6, 8, 9, W, G irons. (Already did the 7 iron). I glued them up this morning and got them gripped this afternoon. Took them over to GolfTec this evening, through 3” of snow, dodging bad drivers. I did get good data for carry distances. Hoping to play them Monday if the snow melts by then.

I got my new iron shafts yesterday, pulled the old shafts from the 6, 8, 9, W, G irons. (Already did the 7 iron). I glued them up this morning and got them gripped this afternoon. Took them over to GolfTec this evening, through 3” of snow, dodging bad drivers. I did get good data for carry distances. Hoping to play them Monday if the snow melts by then.
Are the Vista Pros in your sig the new shafts or the old?

I picked up a “bad weather” wedge today on eBay for $70 total.
It’s a “brand new” Callaway Jaws Raw 56-12 with a Project X Catalyst 80 shaft. I may be over thinking here, but I’m not feeling great about this… the seller only has 11 feedbacks, and the price seems ridiculously low. I’m thinking he might have picked it up in like new condition on CPO, isnt happy and wants to flip it?
If it turns out to be legit, I’ll match it up with a new CBX Zipcore 52* I have just sitting in a spare bag, and use them in place of my 54&58 in cold or wet conditions.
Man, I can’t wait to get back down South next week. It’s gonna snow again tonight, I’m bored out of my mind, and trying hard not to buy new hybrids simply out of boredom.

Last edited:
Back