The 60 and over Thread

We both agreed our games would be a lot better if we could walk around the course with a little carpet square
At my home course there is a 9 hole short course. The holes range from 48 to 100 yards with the average around 73 yards. The tee boxes are made up of range mats because the teeing area would just get too chewed up if it was grass. In any case, I can put some real backspin on the ball hitting off those mats. Usually I hit my shots a bit long and watch it zip back towards the hole. I rarely do that hitting off grass.

Oh no, not for handicap purposes. I was referring to posting the sim results here.

330 am and I just got back down to Myrtle Beach. I’m still wired from the drive, so I’m going to poor a Glelivet on the rocks and relax while the everyone else is sound asleep.
Ahhhm yes! There's nothing more that I enjoy than complete quiet and a stiff drink! Here's to you! :drinks:

I'm going to Golf Galaxy for my second of three Trackman sessions this afternoon for a range session. For my third, I am going to play my first round of Sim golf in over 30-years. Yes, you read that correctly; in the early 1990s a sim golf place opened up in Cranston, RI. It was really crude by today's standards, but several of us would meet there after work and play, usually Pebble Beach. Like I said, it was pretty crude and didn't last very long.

As I indicated I was going to do, I put my Callaway Apex CF19s back in the bag for today’s round. Ball striking was excellent, as there was only one iron shot I was not pleased with (a PW where I slid the club under the ball and came up short). The ball felt great at impact and distances were actually better than I expected. I am sensing the swing weight, compared to the PXG 0211DC irons is what is making the difference.

@skigolfmike and anyone else who has experience with Maltby gear...

I'm very close to ordering a Maltby TS3 6i head for testing. The shafts I've been using for almost all my clubs the last few years are the Maltby MPFs. I don't have a good reason to change as I hit them well enough and have been told they're high quality shafts, especially for the money. But are there any other shafts at that price point I should consider? I typically like/get a high launch with my irons.

If I hit the TS3 6i well, I will probably go with 9i-6i for the short to mid-irons before transitioning to hybrids. I've been entertaining the thought of having all Cleveland CBX wedges at the bottom of the bag, all with steel shafts. But who knows... may end up with the TS3 GW and PW.

Great day!
IMG_1669.jpeg

@skigolfmike and anyone else who has experience with Maltby gear...

I'm very close to ordering a Maltby TS3 6i head for testing. The shafts I've been using for almost all my clubs the last few years are the Maltby MPFs. I don't have a good reason to change as I hit them well enough and have been told they're high quality shafts, especially for the money. But are there any other shafts at that price point I should consider? I typically like/get a high launch with my irons.

If I hit the TS3 6i well, I will probably go with 9i-6i for the short to mid-irons before transitioning to hybrids. I've been entertaining the thought of having all Cleveland CBX wedges at the bottom of the bag, all with steel shafts. But who knows... may end up with the TS3 GW and PW.
I tested the TS3s with the TS1 IMs before I went with the TS1 IMs. I built 6 irons with the 60g Vista Pro shafts. The TS1 6 iron had a Pro Launch 85g R shaft. I hit them outside on the course and inside on the sim comparing them with my TS1s. There wasn’t much difference in distance, but there were differences. The TS3s had the lowest launch and spin. The differences were small. The TS3 was he most forgiving. We’re talking minuscule differences here. Like 300 rpm spin and 1.5* of launch angle.

I’ve used the Maltby shafts in clubs I’ve built for my wife and they seem to be good quality. What shaft flex? R or A flex?

I’m working on getting to a 40* descent angle with my 7 iron. With my A flex 50g Vista Pro shafts I can get it on good strikes.

I tested the TS3s with the TS1 IMs before I went with the TS1 IMs. I built 6 irons with the 60g Vista Pro shafts. The TS1 6 iron had a Pro Launch 85g R shaft. I hit them outside on the course and inside on the sim comparing them with my TS1s. There wasn’t much difference in distance, but there were differences. The TS3s had the lowest launch and spin. The differences were small. The TS3 was he most forgiving. We’re talking minuscule differences here. Like 300 rpm spin and 1.5* of launch angle.

I’ve used the Maltby shafts in clubs I’ve built for my wife and they seem to be good quality. What shaft flex? R or A flex?

I’m working on getting to a 40* descent angle with my 7 iron. With my A flex 50g Vista Pro shafts I can get it on good strikes.
Did you remember if your wife's irons were built with the MPF Pro Series or the M890 Launch Tech?

As for flex, I've always gone with a R flex. I'm not sure if the A flex would be beneficial or not. If what you're saying about the launch angle of the head being low, the MPF A flex is rated for a high trajectory while the R flex is rated for mid/high trajectory. OTOH, the M890 Launch Tech R flex is rated for a high trajectory. I guess I could try out an M890 build. I'm not concerned about distance with my irons. Not that I have a very fast swing speed, just that I have bigger fish to fry right now.

Thanks.

Did you remember if your wife's irons were built with the MPF Pro Series or the M890 Launch Tech?

As for flex, I've always gone with a R flex. I'm not sure if the A flex would be beneficial or not. If what you're saying about the launch angle of the head being low, the MPF A flex is rated for a high trajectory while the R flex is rated for mid/high trajectory. OTOH, the M890 Launch Tech R flex is rated for a high trajectory. I guess I could try out an M890 build. I'm not concerned about distance with my irons. Not that I have a very fast swing speed, just that I have bigger fish to fry right now.

Thanks.
Her irons are pretty old, L Tech 7, 9, SW with L Tech shafts. I recently built her a driver, 5 hybrid, and a U21 with Maltby shafts. The driver and 5 hybrid are M890 LL shafts and the U21 is a MPF L shaft.

I put the Vista Pro 50g R2 (A) flex shafts in my TS1s and I did see a 1* increase in launch, 200-300 more spin, 3-4 yards more carry and a 1.8* increase in descent angle. My 7 iron swing speed is 75-76 mph at peak and I can get 100 ball speed on a great strike. I thought I might lose accuracy going softer and lighter, but that does not seem to be the case.

You nuked that one and flubbed the chips?
Kind of, it hit the back of the green and rolled down the hill at least that's how I saw it. :ROFLMAO: the flubbed chips were legit.

This leads me to my next question, In some courses, my jacked lofts 27* 7 iron won't hold the green, and in others they do. So I have 3 options the first option getting different irons is out of the question because I've been through so many iron sets in the last year it's borderline addiction. 2nd option is to weaken the lofts 2 degrees and the 3rd more economical option is to add some lead tape to the bottom back to generate more height and spin.

I'm leaning toward option 2 weakening the lofts because I like the looks, feel, forgiveness, and accuracy of my irons. This option would also add some bounce which I can probably benefit from as I've been known to come in steep sometimes.

Thoughts?

Kind of, it hit the back of the green and rolled down the hill at least that's how I saw it. :ROFLMAO: the flubbed chips were legit.

This leads me to my next question, In some courses, my jacked lofts 27* 7 iron won't hold the green, and in others they do. So I have 3 options the first option getting different irons is out of the question because I've been through so many iron sets in the last year it's borderline addiction. 2nd option is to weaken the lofts 2 degrees and the 3rd more economical option is to add some lead tape to the bottom back to generate more height and spin.

I'm leaning toward option 2 weakening the lofts because I like the looks, feel, forgiveness, and accuracy of my irons. This option would also add some bounce which I can probably benefit from as I've been known to come in steep sometimes.

Thoughts?
Yeah, I wouldn’t go with option 2. You change the static loft and you’ve changed the distance the club will carry. So, now you have to pick a different club to carry the distance and you’ll find yourself right back where you started. Rolling the ball through the green.

What you need is more backspin to hold those greens, and more often than not, that is about your swing and the ball you use.

Thoughts?
My 5 iron has 27*. I get plenty of loft and good stopping. It's my 185-190 club. I assume my 5 has longer shaft than your similarly lofted 7 and I may play more to middle front of stance. Maybe with your swing speed, a hybrid would give you the flight you want for that 160ish yd shot better than a very strong 7 iron?

After playing the Halo irons for a month, I don’t know why anyone with a driver SS under 85 mph who isn’t a really good ball striker would play anything other than a hybrid style set of irons.

Last edited:
After playing the Halo irons for a month, i don’t know why anyone with a driver SS under 85 mph who isn’t a really good ball striker would play anything other than a hybrid style set of irons.
Hybrids never worked for me. I hook them way too often.

Hybrids never worked for me. I hook them way too often.
The Halos look like a hybrid, but play like an iron. In fact, they have less offset than most irons. so I doubt you’ll hook them.
They launch higher than traditional irons though, which is what under 85 mph players need. If you’re a really good ball striker I’d say play what you like, but I can’t tell you how many older 15 and higher caps I see hitting slices, pushes or low screamers with their traditional sets. I rarely see any of them hooking their irons though.
IMO the only downside to the Halos is the larger head, which I never even notice, and even if I did I’d gladly live with that to get the benefits they give me.

Last edited:
After playing the Halo irons for a month, i don’t know why anyone with a driver SS under 85 mph who isn’t a really good ball striker would play anything other than a hybrid style set of irons.
I tried the Cobra TRails a couple years ago. They didn't work for me. They launched too high for me.

I tried the Cobra TRails a couple years ago. They didn't work for me. They launched too high for me.
3 questions…
Are you a good ball striker with your irons?
Is your SS under 85?
Did you try them with a lower launching shaft? The stock shafts are designed to launch high.
BTW
I see you and I are in the same handicap range, and we both use strong lofted GI irons 7-AW along with 4&5 hybrids… in our case, I’d say it comes down to preference. I’m trying to decide which setup is better for me now. I know I’ll eventually go to an all hybrid set eventually though.

Last edited:
3 questions…
Are you a good ball striker with your irons?
Is your SS under 85?
Did you try them with a lower launching shaft? The stock shafts are designed to launch high.
BTW
I see you and I are in the same handicap range, and both use strong lofted GI irons 7-AW along with hybrids… in our case, I’d say it comes down to preference. I’m trying to decide which setup is better for me now. I know I’ll eventually go to an all hybrid set eventually though.

I'm okay as a ball striker provided it's a 7 iron or less. That explains the 5 and 6 hybrid choices.
My SS is right around 85.
I didn't go with the stock shafts at least not the Cobra shafts. I have them with Recoil 460 ESX in R.

I'm okay as a ball striker provided it's a 7 iron or less. That explains the 5 and 6 hybrid choices.
My SS is right around 85.
I didn't go with the stock shafts at least not the Cobra shafts. I have them with Recoil 460 ESX in R.
It sounds like we’re about the same type player.
In my original comment, i wasn‘t referring to a 13 cap like you, but a mid or higher with under 85 or someone who doesn’t hit his irons well… let’s say your typical 65-70 yo 18 cap? I’d put that guy in a hybrid style set and have him thank me later. 😜

Last edited:
I have a set of Halos but still tinkering with the T Rails as I have 4 of those in my second bag. They launch higher and straight for me. Never experienced hooks with them or the Halos for that matter. Distance is comparable with the Halos. The T Rails are slightly longer and have good stopping power. Maybe they fit my eye better but I haven't given on the Halos just yet. This is my second time around with the Halos so trying to give them a decent shot at primary spot.

It sounds like we’re about the same type player.
In my original comment, i wasn‘t referring to a 13 cap like you, but a mid or higher with under 85 or someone who doesn’t hit his irons well… let’s say your typical 65-70 yo 18 cap? I’d put that guy in a hybrid style set and have him thank me later. 😜
I agree that more people should be trying them.

Back