The 60 and over Thread

Kind of, it hit the back of the green and rolled down the hill at least that's how I saw it. :ROFLMAO: the flubbed chips were legit.

This leads me to my next question, In some courses, my jacked lofts 27* 7 iron won't hold the green, and in others they do. So I have 3 options the first option getting different irons is out of the question because I've been through so many iron sets in the last year it's borderline addiction. 2nd option is to weaken the lofts 2 degrees and the 3rd more economical option is to add some lead tape to the bottom back to generate more height and spin.

I'm leaning toward option 2 weakening the lofts because I like the looks, feel, forgiveness, and accuracy of my irons. This option would also add some bounce which I can probably benefit from as I've been known to come in steep sometimes.

Thoughts?
Your 7 iron is stronger than my 6 iron. If you get on a sim look at the spin and descent angle. With a 7 iron you want at least 5000 spin and a 40* descent angle.

Your 7 iron is stronger than my 6 iron. If you get on a sim look at the spin and descent angle. With a 7 iron you want at least 5000 spin and a 40* descent angle.
So many people go on a launch monitor in a golf store and buy the 7i that gives them the longest total distance, instead of the one with the best overall numbers. Then when they put the set in their bag they say “it’s not playing like it did in the store…”.
Well, yeah it is, but you’re in the real world now and you’re not getting enough spin to launch it high enough to get consistent results.

This is the kind of special person I am, playing with snow on the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_1452.jpeg
    IMG_1452.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1453.jpeg
    IMG_1453.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 11
After playing the Halo irons for a month, i don’t know why anyone with a driver SS under 85 mph who isn’t a really good ball striker would play anything other than a hybrid style set of irons.
How ironic I just got home from the driving range and they had the new Halos on the rack and they let me take a 7 demo to the range. Boy, oh boy, I forgot how effortless those clubs were. Makes me think about why I gave them up in the first place.

It will be a miracle if I get through the weekend without picking up those Halos. Like @doc53 said it's more my swing.
Ironically again my cat is named Halo :ROFLMAO:

How ironic I just got home from the driving range and they had the new Halos on the rack and they let me take a 7 demo to the range. Boy, oh boy, I forgot how effortless those clubs were. Makes me think about why I gave them up in the first place.

It will be a miracle if I get through the weekend without picking up those Halos. Like @doc53 said it's more my swing.
Ironically again my cat is named Halo :ROFLMAO:
I was talking with @SC Putter last night after my round in cold, windy weather yesterday. It was the first time I touched a club in two weeks and my back was stiff as a board after driving 700 miles from Long Island the day before.
I struggled with my swing all day, topping more FWs and hybrids in one round than I will in two years. The only things that kept me in the 80’s were good putting and the Halos. I got away with murder on some of my iron swings.
Here’s the best way I can describe them… the Halos are good when you’re swinging well. They’re phenomenal when you’re not.

Last edited:
Have to chip in here. I play Tour Edge Hot launch 3s. To me they are even better than the halos. (Just a different feel). You can always get them for a song used. I haven't tried the Wilson Launch Pads, but some of them come with Recoil shafts, which should be amazing.

I was talking with @SC Putter last night after my round in cold, windy weather yesterday. It was the first time I touched a club in two weeks and my back was stiff as a board after driving 700 miles from Long Island the day before.
I struggled with my swing all day, topping more FWs and hybrids in one round than I will in two years. The only things that kept me in the 80’s were good putting and the Halos. I got away with murder on some of my iron swings.
Here’s the best way I can describe them… the Halos are good when you’re swinging well. They’re phenomenal when you’re not.
That is why I am hesitant to give up on mine. We all have bad swing days. The Halos can make a bad swing day bearable and you live to fight another day. As for hybrid irons, I agree everyone should try them.

Have to chip in here. I play Tour Edge Hot launch 3s. To me they are even better than the halos. (Just a different feel). You can always get them for a song used. I haven't tried the Wilson Launch Pads, but some of them come with Recoil shafts, which should be amazing.
Like @SC Putter alluded to, it’s not about a particular brand, per se.
This isn’t about which one of the Cleveland, Cobra, Wilson, Tour Edge versions are better. They’re all good. it comes down to which one suits you best, and if they help you play better golf.

Can you describe the difference in feel?

So many people go on a launch monitor in a golf store and buy the 7i that gives them the longest total distance, instead of the one with the best overall numbers. Then when they put the set in their bag they say “it’s not playing like it did in the store…”.
Well, yeah it is, but you’re in the real world now and you’re not getting enough spin to launch it high enough to get consistent results.
I agree. So many players are caught up on which club is the longest and looking at dispersion. Many times another iron may be longer but only by 2 or 3 yds. And for me personally, there is no substitute for hitting off real grass for true evaluation for feel, launch and turf interaction. JMHO

This is the kind of special person I am, playing with snow on the ground.

No one here thinks that's odd. What does that say about the rest of us? Haha.

Probably 6 or 7 years ago, I was given permission to play a course even though it was closed for the winter. It was during an unusual but nice February thaw and I thought why not... so I headed out. Even though there wasn't much snow, half of the greens still had some ice on them, and getting a tee in the frozen turf was a challenge. On a positive note, I got a little extra roll off the tee.

The best part... I wasn't the only one on the course. There were a few other groups playing.

I've reached my second milestone on my weight loss program. I've lost 30 lbs since October 2023. I've got 10 more to go. Now it gets hard.

I got a deal for 4 new TP5x from Goof Galaxy. Will be interested to see how it stacks up to ProV1x and my current stock of TP5xs from last year.

We got a good weather day today. Played like crap, but it was good to get out. Hit the flag on the 12th and missed the putt. It was that kind of day.

I agree. So many players are caught up on which club is the longest and looking at dispersion. Many times another iron may be longer but only by 2 or 3 yds. And for me personally, there is no substitute for hitting off real grass for true evaluation for feel, launch and turf interaction. JMHO

I've reached my second milestone on my weight loss program. I've lost 30 lbs since October 2023. I've got 10 more to go. Now it gets hard.
Congrats. keep up the good work. I lost 40 lbs three years ago and have been holding steady since. Would like to lose another 10 to 15 but you are right--it is difficult. But enjoy your accomplishment. Well done

Played 9 today, the driver wasn't good. Couldn't hit my Fw's , topping them. 9 wood, 7,8 hybrids were good. Chipping was short, but straight. Putting was okay, at least I got out to play and enjoy the company.

I’d say the hard part is over. You already made up your mind to do it, and now the finish line is in sight.
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Hardest part might not be over. I find maintaining the weight loss harder than getting there, lost 45 then covid came along and gained 35 back due to inactivity. Trying to get things going the right direction again but the older we get the harder it gets. Feet and legs won’t let me do the things I want to. Still walk every day and try to play a couple of times a week but not at the level I would like.

I quit looking at the meaningless numbers on the sole. Look up the loft on the club. Multiply that x 200. Thats my target RPM. Change balls till you get there. As you increase spin the ball should also be coming in steeper. If you cant get there, its a club designed for people who want to say they hit their ( insert number) iron some ungodly distance, never mind that they cant hit and hold a green because the ball is coming in flat with hardly any spin. It's a target game, not a wanker measuring contest. All that matters is how close you are, not the number on the club you used to get there.

No one here thinks that's odd. What does that say about the rest of us? Haha.

Probably 6 or 7 years ago, I was given permission to play a course even though it was closed for the winter. It was during an unusual but nice February thaw and I thought why not... so I headed out. Even though there wasn't much snow, half of the greens still had some ice on them, and getting a tee in the frozen turf was a challenge. On a positive note, I got a little extra roll off the tee.

The best part... I wasn't the only one on the course. There were a few other groups playing.
Back in the 1970s, in the Chicago area, there were courses that remained open all year! One January day, the forecast was for the temps to get into the 40s, an unusually warm day for that time of the year. There had not been much snow, the only amount remaining was on the backside of slopes that didn't get the sun.

It barely got above freezing, despite the forecast, and that was later that day, though it was sunny with little wind. You can only wear so many pairs of socks and still get your shores on, and with the metal spikes of the day the cold just came up through your feet. After several holes, my feet were numb! Whatever melt had occurred resulted in the cups filled with water that then froze into a solid block. No pulling the pin that day. Distances one got were absurd. A 200 yard par3, hit maybe a 8i and watch it bounce down toward the green like it was on concrete.

It was actually a fun day given the opportunity to get out in the middle of winter in Chicago! I remember that day like it was yesterday, but don't ask me what I had for dinner last night! :LOL:

Back in the 1970s, in the Chicago area, there were courses that remained open all year! One January day, the forecast was for the temps to get into the 40s, an unusually warm day for that time of the year. There had not been much snow, the only amount remaining was on the backside of slopes that didn't get the sun.

It barely got above freezing, despite the forecast, and that was later that day, though it was sunny with little wind. You can only wear so many pairs of socks and still get your shores on, and with the metal spikes of the day the cold just came up through your feet. After several holes, my feet were numb! Whatever melt had occurred resulted in the cups filled with water that then froze into a solid block. No pulling the pin that day. Distances one got were absurd. A 200 yard par3, hit maybe a 8i and watch it bounce down toward the green like it was on concrete.

It was actually a fun day given the opportunity to get out in the middle of winter in Chicago! I remember that day like it was yesterday, but don't ask me what I had for dinner last night! :LOL:
Even into the millennium there were a lot of courses around here that remained open year round.
That should be part of being 60 or older, not having to worry about what others think anymore.

Oh hell, I quit worrying about that in 6th grade. Turning 60 meant nothing. It's just a number. Accompanied by aches and pains.

I had some shop credit I needed to use by year end, so I got fitted for a driver. Of all the drivers I hit the TM was the longest, and the Ping was the straightest so I went with the Ping. My home course is littered with hazards, so there is a premium on finding the fairway.

Indeed. My distance and spin control are significantly better off a mat. Or even bare dirt. No grass or moisture to drop spin and give you that dreaded 15 yard longer rocket we used to call a " flier". Now they engineer many irons to mitigate spin. I hate that. I can mitigate spin by taking less loft and swinging easier thank you. I don't need a short iron that flies far and comes in with low spin as many GI and players distance clubs are designed to do.
You bring up a very interesting point. To me, the newer GI and players distance clubs are definitely longer. But NOT better. Last year, I went to a demo day and tried the Paradym irons. Insanely, no stupidly long. And a way to broad front to back dispersion, not to mention lack of spin.
Going from MP60s to 0211s, yes there was an immediate increase in distance. But, 1) the feel is completely gone, 2) everything wants to fly high. Much more difficult to flight the ball. 3) Forget too much shot shaping. They just want to go straight.
At that same Callaway demo day, I asked to hit the Apex MB. the rep said you don’t want to hit them. Anyway, I preceded to enjoy a few shots flushing it. Draws, cuts, high, low. A huge smile of “I can still hit them.” Could I day in and out. Heck no. I’m 68 with and 10 year olds swing faster than me. But there’s something to be said about the small headed, truly forged (not this face forged crap) irons. Nothing like the real feel of butter soft on a center strike. Yeah, i know. And that, I’d be better off swinging it into a tree trunk (off center hits) on 35* days.

Even into the millennium there were a lot of courses around here that remained open year round.
There seem to always be courses that are open year round in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area. Glenhurst in Redford is very active year round. In my area there always seems to be a few hardy (or fool hardy) courses open in the winter, weather permitting. I am going out to play again today. Work on my putting. ;)

Snow_Golf.JPG

Hardest part might not be over. I find maintaining the weight loss harder than getting there, lost 45 then covid came along and gained 35 back due to inactivity. Trying to get things going the right direction again but the older we get the harder it gets. Feet and legs won’t let me do the things I want to. Still walk every day and try to play a couple of times a week but not at the level I would like.
Buy a large house on a half acre of land to maintain. Adding that to the mix took care of me!

Back