Dude picked up my ball....

Had a guy do that while I was still on the tee box. I watched my ball land near the left rough, as soon as it stopped a guy from the other fairway walked over and picked it up.
I had that happen once, only it was the right rough. Saw a guy out of a group near there. Didn't realize he'd snatched my ball until I got up there and it was nowhere to be found. Annoying.

What a savage. All you can do is make a rough estimate and drop where you think it was, people are so considerate at times.

I had an actor play my ball. We were both playing TopFlight XL2000 but mine has a green dot. I swore to him it was mine but he got mad. I then played his ball that was 10 feet away.

He was an officer and not a gentleman.
lou gossett jr oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Where some people have draw their alignment line I write in capitol letters “Bad Motherf*cker”. My old course was a 9 holer with 7 parallel fairways and hills so someone was always coming into my fairway and hitting my ball… until I wrote that on the balls

I use to personalize my balls with “Don’t mess with Gus’ balls”

Our courses are packed with snowbirds right now - if you lose sight of your ball you need to get to it in a hurry, they'll pick it up while it's still rolling! 🤬 It's not even a matter of mistakenly thinking it's theirs - if there's a ball and nobody around it, they'll grab it.

Happened to me and my son once last summer. I hit a beautiful second shot and could have sworn it was going to be on the green. My son's shot was wide left. We couldn't see the hole since there was a hill blocking the green as we walked down. When we got to the green and didn't see my ball, I assumed it just rolled off the back of the green (my typical shape shot. lol). My son also couldn't find his. A guy was on the next tee which is very close and I asked if he happened to see a yellow ball and which direction it went. He then says was that your ball, I found it on the green. He also had my son's ball in his pocket. Was a little weird. Like who leaves their ball on the green; what was he thinking.

Happened to @BigDill at the Dream Foursome at PGA National a few years ago. Person insisted that it was her ball. Funny because he was playing a ball that had not yet been released publicly.
And to @Parrot at the Morgan Cup pre-round!

Yep, some people.

I’ve had something similar happen as well. Amazing when they don’t want to admit to a mistake and instead become so invested in the lie.

This is one of the most absurd things that happens in golf. I called a guy out once and he insisted he didn’t hit my ball. 3 holes later he leaves it on the green. Me and my buddy were like wonder what was going through his head for those 3 holes. Must have been eating him up inside 😂

I don’t understand people playing just any old random ball anyway; once I switched to a consistent brand/ ball it has helped my game. If I see a ball in the tree line I walk right by it now, don’t care what it is.

then said it was his when I waved him down and said "Hey, that's mine". He insisted it was his after I told him that's exactly where I just hit my ball, I watched it land. I couldn't believe this guy was being so dishonest, so I just decided to laugh it off & let him have it. :mad: Still kinda pissed off about it though.
You handled it the right way.

I've had the same thing happen to me over the years. It didn't even matter that my ball was in my fairway.

Just to be devil's advocate here, from 250yds away or whatever, sometimes it's hard to be super specific on location. I've had cases where i was sure someone picked up my ball.....but , after raining blows on them, emptying their wallets and threatening their loved ones.....i noticed it wasn't actually my ball and i had been mistaken.

then said it was his when I waved him down and said "Hey, that's mine". He insisted it was his after I told him that's exactly where I just hit my ball, I watched it land. I couldn't believe this guy was being so dishonest, so I just decided to laugh it off & let him have it. :mad: Still kinda pissed off about it though.
Same thing happened to me...the guy insisting it was his...then I pointed out the unique way I mark my golf ball. He looked at the ball, got a bit red in the face, dropped the ball, mumbled something, and left.

Sharpies prevent violence.
Unless your toddler gets ahold of them.

I think we've all had that happen, especially when the holes parallel each other if you see a ball in the rough do not pick it up, it's likely someone coming from the other direction - especially if it looks fresh in there.

I be grabbin' every ball I see. I'm so bad it's not even safe to wear shorts around me.:) Seriously though these people are a**h*les.

Just another reason to mark your ball............proof is in the Sharpie Marker

I was back on an elevated tee and watched a guy on a parallel hole walk over and hit a ball from almost the exact spot where my ball was. When I got down to the area, there was no ball. Since I was in a tournament, I really needed to find my ball. I walked 130 yards to the other hole’s green where a foursome was preparing to putt. I politely asked the group if possibly one of them had accidentally played my ball, which was a white Titleist ProV1 ”3” with a blue logo and a red mark on each T of the word Titleist. They looked at me like I had just landed my spacecraft from Mars on their green. No one said anything. So I walked around the green looking at each ball, stopped at mine, picked it up and walked away.

i was probably fortunate no one disputed the fact that it was my ball. Then again, they likely understood that there was little chance we were both playing a Titleist ProV1 “3” with a blue logo and two red marls on the T of Titleist.

How about the guy in your foursome who is playing a yellow ball and hits your white ball that's in the fairway. 🤬

All of this just reinforces my decision to switch to the Q Star Tour Divides this year. I haven't seen a single one on the courses in my area the last couple years. I'll never have to question if a ball is mine and no one should be "accidentally" thinking my ball is theirs.

Just another reason to mark your ball............proof is in the Sharpie Marker
Mine are always marked, but I had one guy once who didn't care whose ball it was, he was keeping it. I told him to go ahead and enjoy it, I can afford to buy more. I was steamed, but even as badly as he needed an azz whuppin', it's not worth getting into a fight over a stupid golf ball.

I have mine personalized with D's Ballz in red, it may not always stop someone from picking it up but it's easy to identify if they do.

Just to be devil's advocate here, from 250yds away or whatever, sometimes it's hard to be super specific on location.
Noted, but I was playing a par 3 and hit 4 hybrid about 175 yds, short & left of the green which is perched up on a knoll; saw exactly where it finished. I was walking/carrying my bag so it took me a couple minutes to get up there. He was in a cart playing an adjacent par 4 where he sliced/pushed his tee shot to the area around my green. When I first saw him leave the cart path and drive up to my ball I was still 100 yds away. All I could do was yell & wave at him "Hey, that's mine" "It's a B-stone 2". He just said "this is mine, I hit it here"; wouldn't say what kind of ball it was or anything.

Last edited:
Back