Thinking about replacing my hybrids with a fairway wood.

cnl390

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a 70 yr old with an average driver distance of 220-240, hit my 5i 170ish and play the courses around 6000 yds. I have a 2h & 4h that I only use for the second shot on par 5's and off the tee when the dogleg is less than 220 or there is a creek or something around that distance. My ball striking with them is about 50/50. I'm thinking of replacing both with one fairway wood. Either a 5w or 7w. Has anyone gone from hybrid to fairway wood and improved their ball striking?

Currently have a 4 wood/7wood/ 5 hybrid/5 iron set up at the top of my bag and it works very well for me.

For me, I don’t find much of a difference between hybrids and fairways and how easy they are to hit. If you are having issues with your hybrid, it’s not likely that you’ll see a big improvement just by switching to a fairway. Maybe, it will. You’ll just have to try one to find out if it’s right for you

It depends where your miss is. Most hybrids have a bit more offset so if your miss is left then a wood might work better. I changed from a 3h to a 5w for this reason and have had big improvements. Considering a 7w as well but I find the 4h to be a go to club out of rough and the woods.
If your miss is struggling to find the middle of the club face a wood might not be the best idea due to the longer shaft.

I took my 3&4H’s out of my bag and replaced them with 7&11W’s. Distance decreased but more consistent impact, straighter ball flight and increased height and descent angle have helped me to hit and hold more greens.

Fairway woods will have a longer shaft. While I think that you could fairway wood(s) to replace hybrids as far as getting similar distance, ball striking can be affected by the longer shafts. I have always played a 7w or Heavenwood in my bag but I’m partial to FWs. So, I think it’s a matter of preference.

Also, Cleveland makes a very good Hy Wood in 18 and 21 degrees. It’s somewhat of a combination of a hybrid and fairway wood.

Fairway woods need a better lie than hybrids. As a short swinger, I tend to think first about the lie of the ball, then the course management options to where the next shot should go.

But, I think folks tend to think more in terms of distance to the green. With that mindset if may be better to stick to a more forgiving hybrids.

It also depends on course conditions My home course has a lot of water which means that it is easy to lose the ball in the rough.
There are areas where there isn't enough water to grow that much grass.

I also think some players are more comfortable with a hybrid swing and some with a fairway swing and it's what works best for you.

I've personally always struggled with fairway woods. But I've also struggled to find a low lofted hybrid I hit nearly as well as a 4h. The Cleveland Hy-wood was that club for a couple of years - but I lost the consistency off the deck that I had that first year or so.

I'm going in the other direction and putting a 5w back in the bag for awhile.

It's a maddening part of the bag.

Back