Help disseminating shot scope data (strokes gained)

Ajcoop20

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Diving a little deeper into my shot scope x5 im currently a 17.5 (yea :puke:) If im reading my shot scope data right im loosing 13+ strokes (-13.32) when compared to a 15HC. Im avg 36.3 putts a round which i know isnt good, but i dont see a 15 hc avg 22 putts per round, which is why im asking for help in reading the data. The acquired stats are only through 3 rounds but my strokes gained are

driving +2.30
approach +8.23
short game +6.88
putting -13.32

Am I using the data wrong ? any clarification would be helpful. I could post screen shots as well if there are other data points that are needed to clear this up.
thanks!

Calling @Phil75070
I think you data capture of you putts is not correct
Those approach numbers are pretty good for a 17.5 HDCP.

Diving a little deeper into my shot scope x5 im currently a 17.5 (yea :puke:) If im reading my shot scope data right im loosing 13+ strokes (-13.32) when compared to a 15HC. Im avg 36.3 putts a round which i know isnt good, but i dont see a 15 hc avg 22 putts per round, which is why im asking for help in reading the data. The acquired stats are only through 3 rounds but my strokes gained are

driving +2.30
approach +8.23
short game +6.88
putting -13.32

Am I using the data wrong ? any clarification would be helpful. I could post screen shots as well if there are other data points that are needed to clear this up.
thanks!
I'm gonna go ahead and say the numbers (for some reason) are just wrong. I just checked my Arccos (I'm ~18 against a 15) and for the last 10 rounds I've averaged 34.7 vs as 15 hdcp being 34.9. So my putting strokes gained is +0.1.

This would indicate an error in the data on your numbers

Calling @Phil75070
im very diligent on making sure i capture the putts as soon as the ball goes in the hole (generally i 2 putt, but there is the occasional 3)

IMG_2486.png

driving +2.30
approach +8.23
short game +6.88
putting -13.32

thanks!

Calling @Phil75070

I'm gonna go ahead and say the numbers (for some reason) are just wrong. I just checked my Arccos (I'm ~18 against a 15) and for the last 10 rounds I've averaged 34.7 vs as 15 hdcp being 34.9. So my putting strokes gained is +0.1.

This would indicate an error in the data on your numbers
Quite frankly, I don't know how any of those strokes gained numbers can be correct for a 17.5 handicap compared to a 15 handicap. What kind of scores did you shot for those three rounds? Maybe you need more than 3 rounds. I have a 6.8 index and this is how I compare to a 15 handicap:

1711136046769.png

Quite frankly, I don't know how any of those strokes gained numbers can be correct for a 17.5 handicap compared to a 15 handicap. What kind of scores did you shot for those three rounds? Maybe you need more than 3 rounds. I have a 6.8 index and this is how I compare to a 15 handicap:
I have a feeling more than 3 rounds is definitely needed. I remember Arccos would not display any data until 5 rounds had been completed.

IMG_4559.png

This is my 2024 vs 15 and I’m currently around an 18.5ish.

Either you are the worst putter ever or something is off. :)

Distances for putts are correct? All flagged as on green? Any off green putts that need to be flagged as fairway so they tag as a short game shot?

View attachment 9250709
90, 93, and a 44 9 hole round.

View attachment 9250722

This is my 2024 vs 15 and I’m currently around an 18.5ish.

Either you are the worst putter ever or something is off. :)

Distances for putts are correct? All flagged as on green? Any off green putts that need to be flagged as fairway so they tag as a short game shot?
i only count putts that are on the putting surface, not when i putt off the fringe, to my putt count total.

I’m betting not enough data.

When you are editing the round are your first putts at the right distance or does it look like you are two putting from two feet?

I’m betting not enough data.
No, it does SG on individual rounds for each shot. Number of rounds is irrelevant in SG calcs. Gotta be something else. 🤔

i only count putts that are on the putting surface, not when i putt off the fringe, to my putt count total.
Total putt count doesn’t matter for SG. Distance from hole and remaining distance. 👍🏻

i adjusted my date range and now have 6 rounds total with that. it changed my numbers quite a bit. 6 rounds

tee +3.23
approach +3.41
short game +5.64
putting -9.71

vs a 15 handicap. the numbers are still really confusing to me. I basically avg a 2putt per hole, which i think isnt a crazy high number for someone between a 15-20hc.

Total putt count doesn’t matter for SG. Distance from hole and remaining distance. 👍🏻
maybe thats it. ive been missing an inordinate amount inside 3feet this winter/spring on northern illinois shag carpet greens

i adjusted my date range and now have 6 rounds total with that. it changed my numbers quite a bit. 6 rounds

tee +3.23
approach +3.41
short game +5.64
putting -9.71

vs a 15 handicap. the numbers are still really confusing to me. I basically avg a 2putt per hole, which i think isnt a crazy high number for someone between a 15-20hc.
The thing about high cappers is that, on average, we seem to putt well compared to the full swing and to a lesser degree, the short game. As we start to compare ourselves to lower caps, strokes lost to putting and the short game don't drop proportionately to the tee game and the short game.

I don't know that much about stats so take this with a grain of salt...
You may be the opposite of the average high capper where putting is often low-hanging fruit and the full swing is more difficult to learn. You've developed a decent full swing before developing a decent putting stroke.

IMO, the strokes gained methodology has some imperfections. Granted, I'm not well-versed beyond a basic understanding of it. But in 2023, I lowered my index, lowered my average score (on longer tees at the same courses), and still lost strokes in all 4 SG categories when compared to 2022.

The thing about high cappers is that, on average, we seem to putt well compared to the full swing and to a lesser degree, the short game. As we start to compare ourselves to lower caps, strokes lost to putting and the short game don't drop proportionately to the tee game and the short game.

I don't know that much about stats so take this with a grain of salt...
You may be the opposite of the average high capper where putting is often low-hanging fruit and the full swing is more difficult to learn. You've developed a decent full swing before developing a decent putting stroke.

IMO, the strokes gained methodology has some imperfections. Granted, I'm not well-versed beyond a basic understanding of it. But in 2023, I lowered my index, lowered my average score (on longer tees at the same courses), and still lost strokes in all 4 SG categories when compared to 2022.
at the end of the day, im just trying to use the information i have to truly see what areas i can improve fastest. a good round for me is 85-87, but im one of those golfers that can look back and find an easy 5-7 shots, or putts that were bone head mistakes

Can you share your proximity stats from you Approach and Short Game pages?

Can you share your proximity stats from you Approach and Short Game pages?
approach is 151ft, short game is 9ft avg, if im looking at what youre asking about

With those numbers on approach and short game and putting it’s not detecting your putts and pin location correctly. I would be willing to bet that every 2 putt hole you have it’s showing putts of 4ft and 2ft. Every 1 putt you have is from 2 ft. My data does that every time I either forget to manually input my putts or don’t put them in the right places when I sign off on the round.

WRONG! You include every time you use the putter, even if one (or more) of those times is from off the green! The system automatically sorts out what are actual "putts" (those taken from ON the green) from those little "chip shots" taken with the putter from OFF the green (they get included in your short game stats, not your putting stats). If you are excluding them, no wonder your approach stats are so high, as I assume you are using the putter a fair amount from off the green.

With any automatic GPS-based shot tracking device you absolutely must check and correct every single first putt distance, every round. If you don't your putting stats will be complete nonsense.

Anyone who tells you a ShotScope or Arccos is reliably tracking their first putt distances with no need for editing is delusional.

You next round, pace off and write down the distance of your first putt on every hole. After the round, go back and make ShotScope's putting distances correct. Let us know what your SG: Putting stats look like. Inside 10 feet you need to be accurate to within a foot or two. Outside of 30 feet being off by a few feet isn't as important but I still try to get it correct to the nearest 6 feet/2 yards.

Last edited:
Are you editing your rounds afterwards each time carefully? Making sure pin locations and putt lengths are accurate? Those SG numbers... all of them, not just the putting seem really screwy. +3-4 strokes is exceptional comparing your index to a 15... Even a 20. Somethings definitely not right

Back