My quest to build a bag of "the easiest and most forgiving clubs to hit."

BigE

Tryin' to get better....
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm getting older (now 66) and my swing speed is starting to slow a bit (although right now I can still swing my driver in the low 90's). In anticipation of that I've been on a quest to put together a bag of "the easiest and most forgiving clubs to hit" even though I'm currently still playing to a 9 handicap. It's a bag with no ego involved and whose sole purpose is to make it as easy as possible for me to hit good golf shots and score - especially as I age. It's not necessarily a transition I plan to make this year but is one I want to have ready to go when I think the time is right. And that's good because it's allowed me to take my time and test out a lot of clubs before deciding what will go in this bag. It's been fun too (and probably expensive as clubs have been bought and sold numerous times...lol).

After a lot of testing at my Sim, here's the makeup of the bag I've finally come up with. Still trying to decide if I'm going to take it to the course this year, or let it be my "backup" and bring it out next year when I'm another year older and even a bit slower with my swing. I'm playing rounds at my Sim right now where I play my current bag versus this "newer and easier to hit" bag. Which has also been a lot of fun.

Here's the makeup of my hopefully "Easier and More Forgiving" clubs:
Driver - 12* Taylor Made Stealth 2 with a regular light 55g Drago shaft (fit for me at Club Champions)
3/4 wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max 16.5* with stock Mitsubishi Tensei Blue regular shaft (60g)
7, 9, 11 woods - Callaway AI Smoke Max fairway woods also with the stock Callaway Mitsubishi Tensei regular shafts (60g)
Btw - these 7,9,11 woods are my absolute favorite clubs to hit. I'm money with them. Easy to launch! Point and shoot!
7i - GW - Cleveland Launcher Halo XL Irons, regular graphite 70g shafts also fit for me at Club Champions (Fujikura Vista Pro 2021)
52*, 56*, 60* New Callaway CB Wedges (the most forgiving wedges I've ever played)
Putter - Bobby Grace F22 (I'm a sidesaddle putter)

Have you tried the ping 710 or 730’s irons?

Lots of the guys in your shoes are using them around here

Have you tried the ping 710 or 730’s irons?

Lots of the guys in your shoes are using them around here
I went Halo's because I like hitting fairway woods or hybrids better than irons (I carry an 11, 9, 7 and 4 wood...lol)
And Halo's seem like the best of both worlds.

It may be worth experimenting with softer shafts. The old guy at the course says a lot of men play shafts that are too stiff!
I've heard elsewhere that this can be an ego issue.

My dad played the Cleveland hybrid looking irons as he aged and absolutely loved them. Shot the lowest scores of his life with them

Back