Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

Looks are one thing, but these have to deliver on performance.

I was playing the cf16's until I tried the Ping i500. I'm finding it to be of a similar profile to the cf16's and perhaps a bit longer. Definitely planning to check out the cf19's when my fitter gets the heads in.

Callaway has a decent record lately of improving on previous lines. Just like the CF-16’s bested the 2014 Apex, I fully expect the 19’s to raise that bar many of us Apex lovers have come to expect.

Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

But isn't the combo all the same?
Going to be nice to actually see these clubs at some point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

agreed, but waiting is for suckers. i need info now!

maybe i was mistaken on the combo set. i assumed it would satin in the forged, chrome in the pros. all they would do is adjust lofts to get gapping right. but if the combo set is a consistent finish among all clubs, that would be awesome! would make the decision much harder.

EDIT: i just re-read the info on callaway’s site and you’re correct. the combo set had a consistent finish. that is super smart on callaway’s part! i think it’s the satin, too. score! i still don’t know whether i’ll go smoke or satin. that’s probably going to be the hardest decision i have to make lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Looks are one thing, but these have to deliver on performance.

I was playing the cf16's until I tried the Ping i500. I'm finding it to be of a similar profile to the cf16's and perhaps a bit longer. Definitely planning to check out the cf19's when my fitter gets the heads in.

I’ve hit the i500s. Not a big fan of the feel or sound being a hollow body. Distances could be inconsistent at times. I think Callaway has met the challenge of these “players distance irons” introduced by others but using different technology that offers better feel and, perhaps, more consistent results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya but hearing that these are better and my wallet doesnt think these comments are helpful lol.

I’m already trying to figure out what a set of Rogue Pro iron can be sold for... lol

I played the 16's for a little bit and I think the feel is quite a bit better with this model than the last. Looks wise they are both fantastic but this new version definitely stepped it up a notch.
I flushed a PW today and I swear I never felt the ball. I love these irons.

maybe i was mistaken on the combo set. i assumed it would satin in the forged, chrome in the pros. all they would do is adjust lofts to get gapping right. but if the combo set is a consistent finish among all clubs, that would be awesome! would make the decision much harder.

EDIT: i just re-read the info on callaway’s site and you’re correct. the combo set had a consistent finish. that is super smart on callaway’s part! i think it’s the satin, too. score! i still don’t know whether i’ll go smoke or satin. that’s probably going to be the hardest decision i have to make lol

Dude I thought you knew this...

5adbe7fa4b6e19d7631e774454af0de5.jpg

ee0fc06a3cb0c363e86b27e2cdf9fcad.jpg

Droooool......those the FFL winnings lol

Man all the pics are just sooooo clean. Time to buy stock in ELY. First qtr earnings gonna be above projected earnings im sure

We all are sick. I am trying to thin my herd of clubs that grew into 6 sets of irons and honestly, my handicap would be the same with any of them. Only a couple of days ago, you were recounting how the FTBs were the best irons you have ever gamed. I love this sickness, though.

We all are sick. I am trying to thin my herd of clubs that grew into 6 sets of irons and honestly, my handicap would be the same with any of them. Only a couple of days ago, you were recounting how the FTBs were the best irons you have ever gamed. I love this sickness, though.

i’ve broken 80 every time i’ve teed it up since putting together this current setup late last month. but...

if i were to pull the trigger on this full 14-club bag, i would only trade in driver and fairway wood. i would keep everything else. driver and fairway could be reacquired easily and for close to what callaway is giving as trade in value. at least that’s what i’m telling myself lmao

i’ve broken 80 every time i’ve teed it up since putting together this current setup late last month. but...

if i were to pull the trigger on this full 14-club bag, i would only trade in driver and fairway wood. i would keep everything else. driver and fairway could be reacquired easily and for close to what callaway is giving as trade in value. at least that’s what i’m telling myself lmao

We can rationalize any purchase lol

Again you are playing with my heart with all these better than CF16 posts lol......i loved the 16’s!!
i have only demo’d the CF16s. But they felt more Cup-facey to me (I just made a new word). The 19s have a dense powerful muted feel for me.

Product Review – Irons – Apex ‘19

I started playing the Apex series of irons from Callaway Golf four years ago. First, I played the standard Apex for two years, followed by the Apex CF16’s for the last two years leading up to the #TheGrandaddy. I’ve been a big fan of the series with 3 Holes-In-One using them and multiple rounds where I have shot my age. I figured going into the fitting that if I could just maintain that same level of performance I would be more than pleased. That level was met and then some.

I am big on a simple, plain and clean look in a set of irons, no colorful, gaudy badging (is that a word?) on the back. I also prefer a “players” cavity back over SGI-type irons. “Pro” versions of irons don’t give me the forgiveness that I sometimes need when my game is “off”. The Apex series has always met that criteria and this set of ‘19s is no exception. The finish is a nice satin finish. The top line appears to be slightly smaller than the CF16s and the offset slightly less, but I don’t have the specs as I write this to confirm either of those things. Sole width appears to also be thinner and slightly less rounded at the back. Heel to toe length, again, very similar as well as height of the clubface. Overall I would say the Apex 19’s are a tad more compact.

During warm up for the fitting I also hit the Pro version but preferred the feel and performance of the standard Apex ‘19. So that is what we concentrated on during the fitting. I mentioned in my fitting recap that I was not getting the numbers that I would have expected during the fitting compared to what I experience at home with the CF16s. The overall distance with a 7i was at least ½ club longer but when hitting irons I look to carry distance when deciding which club to hit and that was a little shorter than I was expecting or hoping to see. I was told the distance will be there but the “loss” was due to being in the 1st group to be fit as it was very chilly and we were pretty much at sea level. Based on spin, ball speed and launch angles I was fit into the UST Mamiya Recoil 760 F2 shafts (F2 is basically a “senior flex”). Based on little stronger lofts in these, 48° AW, gapping at the bottom end was a serious discussion so I went with the 6-AW with three wedges which will be reviewed separately, as will the driver and fairway woods and the hybrid.

The clubs looked spectacular sitting in the bag when I got to my cart on day 1 of the competition. I made my club selections during the two days of golf based on my normal yardages and I was not disappointed. The feel all day was incredibly solid and extremely consistent throughout the set. I truthfully do not know if that is a characteristic of the set or because they were built by the pro department at ECPC. Turf interaction at The Hideaway was never an issue and distance control was spot on. Even strikes slightly off center saw minute losses of distance if any. I did not experience any fliers or unexpected results hitting them at any time. The lofts on these are a couple of degrees stronger than on the corresponding Apex CF16 club. However, due to the weighting this is necessary to keep the ball flight down. Otherwise one would lose distance if the lofts were kept more “traditional”.

Since returning home and using them I continue to be struck by just how solid they feel and sound, consistent from one club to the next. It truly is a “powerful” feeling in that the ball just seems to explode off the face, and they also feel “softer” than the Apex CF16s. In 50° type weather I am seeing full summer like yardages to maybe ½ club longer and the ball just wants to go straight (I’ve been using the regular Chrome Soft). Is that distance increase a function of the technology built into the clubhead or perhaps a more suited shaft? It is probably a combination if I had to guess. Distance control is spectacular and I feel like I am shooting darts when I put one of these irons in my hand.

The technology behind these is the same / similar to what had been explained in the Big Bertha irons with a “floating” tungsten weight, positioning of which is unique to each club.

I actually think the regular model looks better to me than the Pro, so I'm with you - love the look of these clubs. It's hard to believe that Callaway can keep advancing the tech like this. Better than the CF16’s is quite a feat!

I’m already trying to figure out what a set of Rogue Pro iron can be sold for... lol

Same here. I’m just trying to decide if I want to be greedy and pull the catalyst shafts first or go head’s only.

Same here. I’m just trying to decide if I want to be greedy and pull the catalyst shafts first or go head’s only.

Decisions ... Decisions...

The times I demo’d the Rogue Pros I thought they were fine but they didn’t move the needle for me. I saw nothing to even tempt me to move away from my PTx’s. To me the CF19s are at a completely different level than the Rogue Pros.

I loved the 2014 Apex Forged, but didn't connect with the CF16s. Maybe I could love these CF19s? And those pro's are siiiick.

I didn't read the entire thread, did a google search, but was wondering if anyone knew what graphite shaft is offered with these irons?

I think they are about $200 per iron in graphite too.

Thanks!

I didn't read the entire thread, did a google search, but was wondering if anyone knew what graphite shaft is offered with these irons?

I think they are about $200 per iron in graphite too.

Thanks!

The Project X Catalyst 50/60/80 is the standard. I was fit into the Recoil 760s. I'm pretty sure you could special order the Recoils, too. I don't know if there would be an upcharge for them. My fitter told me the Recoils were their most popular graphite shaft.

The Project X Catalyst 50/60/80 is the standard. I was fit into the Recoil 760s. I'm pretty sure you could special order the Recoils, too. I don't know if there would be an upcharge for them. My fitter told me the Recoils were their most popular graphite shaft.

As they should be #ustmafiya #loupies

Would love to the recoil 95/110 as the stock graphite option, tho.

Interesting. What about the catalysts made you go with recoil?

The regulars are probably better for me, and I love the backs. But, damn, the chrome on those Pro’s is gorgeous!

With ArmyGolf and KEV in the Pro version, one might think that the Pro would be the choice for me given my handicap, but I could not be more pleased with the Regular Apex '19. I have not played the pro versions in the past and I'm now pleased that I did NOT have my "A" swing during the fitting. I would have hated to be fit into the pros based on having my "A" swing which is not something I bring to the course on an everyday basis. Good to be fit for my less than perfect swing and have the proper level of forgiveness.

I don’t need new irons. I can’t afford new irons. I so WANT the Regular Apex CF19s though. This thread sucks :D

Back