Typically just like September golf. Although we'll have a higher likelihood of rain towards the end of the month.

Western NY so basically everything you described

The heat is finally breaking. We were 97 yesterday and expected to be at 98 today before getting into more seasonable mid-70s to low 80s next week.

The only thing I really don't like about playing this time of year is losing balls in the leaves.

7pm shot by me. Pitch dark 15min later. Just made this last hole. Even lightened this pic up. Was quite a bit darker. Couldn’t see if we hit the green from tee off. 2 went on. 1 had to chip. Hole right to left.

151018465e8d9a1a3f27880a25c7367b.jpg

I was diggin' the October golf, .. until I looked at the forecast for my round in the morning. 31 Degrees at tee time? Think I'm gonna pass on that.

October marks the start of preparation work on our course for next season. Greens have already been de thatched and sanded, not that it’s hugely noticeable but the grass lengths are longer across the course from tee box to green. If the course is in as good condition next year as it has this it will all be worth it.

Weather wise it is noticeable cooler so multiple layers required; if you’re lucky it may warm up enough to get down to a tee shirt but equally we will see frost towards the end of the month. It will rain more ? & an increase in wind strength & frequency.

Not great but at least the course will be open and I will still be able to play which is luckier than some of you guys are.

We start losing some light, but it’s still playable after work, if you‘re quick. Leaves are a problem on some courses. Weekend mornings start to mean needing pants, maybe a lightweight 1/4 zip (not this year apparently) This is also when I start to take more pictures and text them to people to brag about still playing golf while they’re huddled up burning parts of their houses to stay warm.

Trying to get out today in the VT mountains... high of 45*, 60% chance of rain showers this afternoon and dark by 6:30. Golf weather is vanishing quick at this point but the surprise golden moments are some of the very best of the year.

Our usual 7:30 tee time moves to 8:30. No shorts, and usually at least one layer over a short sleeve shirt. AND, the holes usually get at least one club longer with the onset of cooler weather.

I was really looking forward to it. But it's over for me. Oblique muscle strain. This season sucked.

Anyone switch golf balls in the Fall, cooler temps?

Years ago October would be part of the golf season here in the NE, it wouldn't really get too cold until November, some years even later! but those days seem to be over.

So far we're OK, but it's only the 4th and you can tell the time is ticking, I bet we're looking at highs in the low/mid 50's soon and then it's over, the wind chill is just too cold.

October golf was in full swing today...windy, drizzle and chilly 50 degree temperatures.

My Sunday tee time temp is forecast to be around 30 and a high of 50 for the day with clouds moving in. I've changed from my yellow Q-Star Tours to white ones due to the leaves changing. Add another layer and let's tee it up! :cool:

Well today it’s a high of 95 when it should be a high of 74. So I don’t know what this October means. Usually aeration happens this week but it’s too hot.

But today... beautiful.

60 with sun and wind tomorrow for our tee time.

Perfect except for the wind.

I normally love fall golfing! Crisp mornings, warm afternoons but that has not come to fruition this year here in Nebraska. Cool/cold and wet with a sprinkling of nice days thrown in has been the fall weather so far. Had to go 36 holes this past Thursday as it was the only nice day all week.

I'm curious to hear how different golf is in October for everyone on THP.

For me in Ohio, that means a few things.
- Two weeks from greens aeration
- Sunsets that get WAY too early, making evening golf tough
- 70s average temps (even though we have crazy heat so far into the fall)

What's it like for you guys? For those in warmer climates, how frustrating is the early loss of daylight on perfect days?

For Georgia, I absolutely love fall golf. Problem is “fall” doesn’t start till mid-October. Yesterday was 96 degrees and today will be 91.

With Bermuda grasses, you can’t cut it down in the heat or it’ll burn out so once the temps drop in October and November, you can get some of the fastest greens all year.

63° at tee off time this morning. Had to wear pants and was wishing for a lightweight 1/4 zip.

Finished just fine though and wasn’t Sweating my butt off. That’s a win.

Day ain’t over yet. You still have time sir.
2 soccer games and then I’m taking my son to the blues game - his first.

Not a normal October this year. Playing in the 90's is unexpected. Normal North Carolina weather is 70's. Usually great play, but the leaves cause a lot of lost balls, even if they just drift near the trees. Usually dry weather, so lots of roll, my best rounds are in the fall.

Anyone switch golf balls in the Fall, cooler temps?
I was going to get some E12's at Wal Mart this morning, but they had used non-refurb Pro V1's for $14. I just got a dozen of those :LOL:.

Here in San Francisco October seems to be the warmest, best golf weather of the year.

Back