Cleveland CBX 2 Wedges

50* flew a little shorter today than i was expecting, straight though. Not a good iron striking day so will see tomorrow.

50* flew a little shorter today than i was expecting, straight though. Not a good iron striking day so will see tomorrow.
What were you expecting and what did it go? Mine's right where I thought/hoped it would be.

My 50* md4 was a 115 club.

Was about 8-10 yards short both times i hit it.

Did you go stock shaft? My 50* has the same shaft as my irons and is 115 on the dot with a normal swing.

Placed the order for my 56* and 50* last night. I have been so impressed with the 60* that I wanted them all to be the same. So easy to get in the air. I did thin one across the green but I will take all the credit for that one.

Placed the order for my 56* and 50* last night. I have been so impressed with the 60* that I wanted them all to be the same. So easy to get in the air. I did thin one across the green but I will take all the credit for that one.
I don’t think there’s anything out there that does what they say they do in wedges as well as these.

I’ve been nothing but impressed by the 48/54/60 I grabbed to test the versatility on. I think I’ll end up going back to a bladed 54/60 but only because I’ve found these ease of these leading me to more full swings with them which I try to avoid.

The grind on the 60 is sneaky good.

Looks like I will have my new wedges on Friday. I am hoping to get some rounds in to see how they perform for me. My fallback plan is to go back to the RTX 4’s. Solid choices for my wedge game.

Man, these have a way of digging their claws in.

Part me loving the scoffs I’ve gotten when I pull one from the bag in some money games at the course, part the fact that they just do what they say they do and do it really really well.

They’re fun. A lot of fun.

Man, these have a way of digging their claws in.

Part me loving the scoffs I’ve gotten when I pull one from the bag in some money games at the course, part the fact that they just do what they say they do and do it really really well.

They’re fun. A lot of fun.

They just work. Mind you, I’d not take a lob version, the MD5 is much better for that.

They just work. Mind you, I’d not take a lob version, the MD5 is much better for that.
Eh, I hit a shockingly filthy flop with the 60 in these yesterday. All about the individuals wants needs and confidence to pull it off!

Agree though, they just work.

And in the GW spot they’re FILTHY

distance still a little short of what I would like to gap on full swings. can't tell if it's launching higher or what. does feel lighter than my prior 50*, might also contribute. might get some lead tape or just bend it a bit.

what's been great is the consistency in partial shots, ended up with a bunch of pitches with room to roll out last round. The ability to repeatedly flight to my landing point from all different lies was great, and didn't require a perfect strike.

Eh, I hit a shockingly filthy flop with the 60 in these yesterday. All about the individuals wants needs and confidence to pull it off!

Agree though, they just work.

And in the GW spot they’re FILTHY

Agree with both of those things, and glad it works as a 60. I’d have a hard job believing it’d better a Jaws 60/08 W grind though. That thing really is money. I’ve only had it for 4 rounds so far, but it’s seriously good for my swing. Have hit several to within a couple of feet already, the worst being a shot from about 40y today that I hit a few yards right of the pin, I could’ve been closer, left a longer putt than I wanted, but for the most part it’s been stunning.

I hit some great shots with my 60 yesterday. Shockingly good. Popped the ball up and dropped and stopped. My 50 and 56 show up today. I am really looking forward to them.

distance still a little short of what I would like to gap on full swings. can't tell if it's launching higher or what. does feel lighter than my prior 50*, might also contribute. might get some lead tape or just bend it a bit.

what's been great is the consistency in partial shots, ended up with a bunch of pitches with room to roll out last round. The ability to repeatedly flight to my landing point from all different lies was great, and didn't require a perfect strike.
I put the Rev 2.0 shafts in these which are a little heavier (10 grams) than the stock. I remember I had the MD 4’s with the stock S200’s and they were just a little bit short and didn’t feel quite right. I used the S400’s in the RTX 4’s and that was perfect weight as well.

Played with these for over a month at this point and can safely say the CBX2's are the best wedges I've ever owned. I'm not saying bad shots have been eliminated... but they've been GREATLY reduced. My scores have been impacted positively as a result.

Played with these for over a month at this point and can safely say the CBX2's are the best wedges I've ever owned. I'm not saying bad shots have been eliminated... but they've been GREATLY reduced. My scores have been impacted positively as a result.

I read your review online. Sounded exactly like what I discovered with the RTX 4’s. I didn’t even realize I was struggling a bit with them until I got these on the course.

They’re very different wedges and for me they are for completely different roles, so I’ll find it hard to make a comparison.

For your info, I’d not ever consider a CBX 2 in a higher lofted wedge, but for what I use it for, and going on the three shots I hit with it today, it’ll work rather nicely.

I say three shots, but I had a couple of practice shots too as I wasn’t scoring. My yardage is about 95 from a full shot, which is exactly what I wanted as my UW is typically 105. The role of this wedge will be anything from 95y out which will be mostly pitches from about 40y to the 95y with the odd bump and run - I typically use my 8/9/PW/UW for bump and run depending on the ground in front of my ball and distance the the green. I got a graphite shaft in the CBX 2 as that what I use in my irons. To say it feels better than the RTX 4 in this role, for me, would be a massive understatement. I’m very pleased with how it played today, very solid, yet light and forgiving. I don’t think distance control will be an issue, I’ll get it dialled in very quickly. From the shots I hit, albeit on wet greens it’s a flag targeting club, little roll even on pitches, which is great. I actually found the RTX 4 really difficult to get comfortable with, felt really clumpy and hard, this feels smooth and pleasant.

The Jaws is a replacement for two wedges, my 58X and 64S MD4s, mainly to give me space in my bag for a longer club, a 5W. In addition I wanted to be able to go for the flag in the air with it from close it, and have the ability to open it up when necessary as I’ll miss that aspect from my 64. (I may still carry the 64 when the greens are rock hard in summer, but I’ll decide that next year as and when necessary). The other reason why I got this particular grind, a W Low 60/08 was because I like a wide sole as it digs less, but too much bounce is a pain in some of the bunkers at my course, in which there is a dearth of sand (which I may add I’ve complained about several times). What I saw today was that this’ll work better then my 58X for that, it allows me to take a very small amount of sand under the ball, but...it also allows me to do quite a hard swing from close-in and bunkers so I don’t have to worry as much about deceleration and duffs. I was actually hitting it a little short on the handful of shots I had today, which I’m taking as a good thing. I haven’t had a chance to try it open yet either but looking at the grind it sits close to the ground when open which is perfect - I love a lob shot and am quite good at it, probably the shot I enjoy doing well the most in golf. There’s nothing like banging it 50 feet in the air over a bunker from 20y and seeing it drop pin high and stop. I’m pretty sure a CBX 2 would not be able to do what I want it to in these instances.

So, to summarise, I’ve got a high bounce CBX2 and a low bounce MD5, to my mind that gives me a lot more flexibility. The other bonus for me is that I really get on with Callaway wedges, I’ve had the MD3, MD4 and now this, all of which I’ve preferred to various other clueing Glide 2.0, SM6, G410 SW, CBX, RTX4, they’re lighter feeling that all of those, which gives me confidence to go for it rather than duff. I’m a big fan.

This is pretty much the same approach I took. I went with the Jaws MD5 60 8W and the CBX 2 in the 56 bent to 55. That gives me 5 degree gaps from 9i to lw. Two different styles of wedges for different uses. I'll take full swings with the CBX 2 and use it in soft conditions / sand or deeper rough. The MD5 is for tighter lies and partial swings. I'll get them out on the range tomorrow and on the course Sunday. We just got 6+ inches of rain over the last few days with more in the forecast Saturday so it should be a good test for saturated conditions.

I need to buy my wife a CBX or CBX 2 wedge and then try it out for a few shots :sneaky:

I need to buy my wife a CBX or CBX 2 wedge and then try it out for a few shots :sneaky:
Your wife and the other people that try it out will like it;)

Your wife and the other people that try it out will like it;)
She only plays once or twice a year (although I'm trying to change that), but she doesn't know what a real chip shot is. She takes a 30 year old PW and then forward shaft leans like a crazy monkey and I just about convulse trying to tell her that she cannot hit it high or soft enough to get on the green like that. :ROFLMAO: I put a 54* in her bag the last time she played and begged her to try it and not forward shaft lean and I don't think she ever touched the club. She's a tad bit stubborn.

I used the CBX 2 56* a few times this morning and was very pleased with it. They were 20 to 30 yard pitches out of some thicker wet rough; one to about 6 feet and the other to about 12 feet which is very good for me. Too bad I missed both putts. I think the forgiveness it gave over my previous MD4 54* was definitely noticeable.

Definitely think these are the best option for the majority of golfers.

So for now, my CBX2 is coming out of the bag.
I’m struggling with the heavier weight and the grass is so wet that the wedge is getting stuck. I feel like I need something lighter and a sharper learning edge to cut through the rough.

I’m just not getting the success I’d hoped for. I need to work with it more during the winter in the dome I think.

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s anything out there that does what they say they do in wedges as well as these.

I’ve been nothing but impressed by the 48/54/60 I grabbed to test the versatility on. I think I’ll end up going back to a bladed 54/60 but only because I’ve found these ease of these leading me to more full swings with them which I try to avoid.

The grind on the 60 is sneaky good.

I posted a few comments on the first few pages, and I was really, really apprehensive about saying anything critical about these wedges for a couple reasons: 1) I think they're very good and 2) I'm not the type of person to crap on something that a lot of people love. I'm glad people love these, I think they are a very-very needed product.

But your comment about going back to the 54-60 is exactly what got me- partial vs full shots. Last year I played the 52-56-60 CBX's and got rid of them late in the fall. I've been working on my 30-100 yard game and I'm trying to hit more partial shots. I've got my own version of the Pelz clock system where my (current) 54 goes 105, then about 80 yards on my 3/4 swing, then I have a waist high swing that I practice that's about 40 yards. I do the same 3 swings with my 60* (70, 50, 30). Now I'm starting to incorporate a 50* (new Glide 3.0). It takes practice obviously, you can't just hone in 60 yards with a 50 or 54* wedge without practice. But when you have confidence in these partial shots, IMO, it's just a higher percentage play than taking a bigger swing (more can go wrong) with the 60* and throwing it way up in the air (more can go wrong). And it wasn't that I just couldn't do it at all with the CBX's. I could. But there's a difference between "capable of doing it" vs "love doing it".

So for now, my CBX2 is coming out of the bag.
I’m struggling with the heavier weight and the grass is so wet that the wedge is getting stuck. I feel like I need something lighter and a sharper learning edge to cut through the rough.

I’m just not getting the success I’d hoped for. I need to work with it more during the winter in the dome I think.

Hmmm... to me that's a strange problem. As a 17 handicap I wonder if you should be thinking "let the sole glide through the rough" rather than "I need a sharper leading edge to cut through the rough". The more leading edge you try presenting to the rough/ground the smaller your margin of error (and the more really bad shots you're going to hit).

Back