My driver "distance" question?

jhd12

Reaction score
Handicap
My driver is 6 or 7 years old. A nice drive for me is 210 - 215 yards. A real good drive is 220 - 225 yards.

I hit my 7 iron 150 yards, my 8 iron 140 yards.

Am I losing driver distance possibly due to the age/technology of my driver? Or is 210 - 225 yards just about all I should be expecting from any driver?

Thank you very much.

Probably. If not from the older tech in the driver head, definitely from the old tech shaft. Go get fit for a new one, and be prepared to find lost distance. I'd bet you're missing at least 30 yards from what you could be getting with a properly fit driver. I just went through that process, and I was amazed at my gains with the driver.

For me, I hit a 7 iron about 150 carry (maybe slightly less).

In all honesty, my driver distance is about the same as yours. Finally started to increase it a bit more by tweaking angle of attack and getting a better launch angle.
I don't believe it is a tech issue, for my case it is a swing issue (and moreso a lack of speed issue).

Hmmm, 220 seems a bit short if your 7 is 150 (depending on loft). Could be a combination of driver head tech, shaft, and ball choice. As well as ‘technique’ with driver swing. Hitting too high or too low with too little or too much spin.
At least try a new driver with track man type stuff at a retailer. I know when I swapped out my M1 for M6 I got about 8-10mph more ball speed with similar SS for each. At approx 2-3 yds per mph, that’s 20+ more yards out of the gate. Switching balls also got me a few yards as well. From Chrome SuperSoft to TP5 made a difference.
If demoing a new standard off the rack driver gets more yards, then a Shaft fitting with proper loft and lie adjustments could squeeze out a few more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get around 220-225 carry with mine (1" short) and my 7i is my 150 club.

That does seem a bit low. You might get another 10 yards or so from new tech but a fitting ca really unlock some more yardage. What is your swing speed?

7i 155 carry, driver 250 carry both dependent on proper strikes. Driver is Callaway GBB from 2015.

I hit my 7i 150 consistantly and the driver is 235 average no matter if I use the X2 Hot, Rogue or Cobra. Personally, I use average distance not the occasional bomb when all the stars align.

I hit my 7i 150 consistantly and the driver is 235 average no matter if I use the X2 Hot, Rogue or Cobra. Personally, I use average distance not the occasional bomb when all the stars align.

Yeah, sounds about like me for total yardage. The OP seems to be short for his 7i distance.

I hit my 7 iron 150 yards, my 8 iron 140 yards.

What are the loft angles on those clubs? That’s more important to answering your question.

With the iron distances you listed, you are probably swinging your driver somewhere between 90-95 mph. That means you could squeeze out more through optimizing your numbers. Some of that is swing and some is getting a driver that works best for your speed.

My son uses the same clubs for the distances you mentioned, but he carries his driver over 230 and averages 250 total. He had one drive recorded in the 260-270 markers with a range ball at his Drive, Chip, and Putt qualifier. He was fit for his driver and none of the low spin heads provided enough spin to get his carry up. He ended up with the higher spinning Titleist TS2. So if you test new drivers, be sure to test several brands/models and not just those advertising maximum distance (through low spin).

Just for reference:

cache_2467937360.jpg

With the iron distances you listed, you are probably swinging your driver somewhere between 90-95 mph. That means you could squeeze out more through optimizing your numbers. Some of that is swing and some is getting a driver that works best for your speed.

My son uses the same clubs for the distances you mentioned, but he carries his driver over 230 and averages 250 total. He had one drive recorded in the 260-270 markers with a range ball at his Drive, Chip, and Putt qualifier. He was fit for his driver and none of the low spin heads provided enough spin to get his carry up. He ended up with the higher spinning Titleist TS2. So if you test new drivers, be sure to test several brands/models and not just those advertising maximum distance (through low spin).

Just for reference:

cache_2467937360.jpg
This chart suggests after landing roll-out of 30-60 yds.! Maybe on PGA tournament courses, but not on any course I've ever played. Even on dormant winter Bermuda here in AZ, 15-20 yds is generous. Maybe the desert conditions here are the reason I never seem to be playing with these guys who 'average' 250-280 off the tee.

Yeah I’d say you’re losing some. My driver is about 75% more than my 7i distance. Great drives can be 100% more. Your great drives are only going 50% further then your 7i.

I think the new tech will help you. It may not even be the driver head?, you could be swinging a shaft profile that doesn’t work for you? If nothing else the newer tech on the heads is so much more forgiving than 7 year old tech.

I’d say go get fit at a reliable fitter. The results should open your eyes.

If your driver is 6-7 years old, you have lost 2 generations of distance improvements. And improvements in dispersion as well. The technology has improved immensely with the latest generation of clubs.

That’s a great benchmark....never thought of my driver distance based on my 7i x %. Unfortunately for me, driver is the worst club in my bag, used to be my best but since losing confidence i can only get 160 x 1.55 = 248 ish. Now, not to complain cause I will take 248 if I found center fairway all day but that doesn’t happen consistently enough.
The biggest contributing factor for me is I don’t swing the same with driver anymore. Even with my 3wood I swing much more aggressively. Put driver in my hands and I start trying to direct versus swing through.
Then again, if I had everything working I would be a low handicapper. Still searching for the answer when it comes to driver!

7i 169 avg , Driver 245 avg according to Shot Scope. I use 2017 P790's so that is possibly a little misleading. My 8i avg is 156 yd.
I would be very surprised if the original poster would gain much with "newer tech"without a fitting. My previous driver was a Ping G15 which I hit back to back with my current drive Taylormade M5. While the M5 was slightly longer, I have better accuracy with the M5.
I plan on going to TXG for a driver fitting this fall . It would have be a dramatic increase for me to upgrade the stock shaft. One thing for sure, using shot scope tells me how far I do NOT hit my driver.....lol

That does seem a bit low. You might get another 10 yards or so from new tech but a fitting ca really unlock some more yardage. What is your swing speed?
hi jdtox last couple of times I was measured my swing speed w/driver is around 92 - thanks for your reply

Here is a different theory for you based on what I do and am working on that might apply. My numbers historically similar to yours. I'd say 155 7i and 225 best carry with the driver. I have been fit and I know I hit down on the driver vs slightly up.

At the top of my backswing, my right hand/arm wants to take over. The result with an iron is very inconsistent club turf interaction. Hit thin, hit fat, hit just right. I am working on keeping my left arm/hand in control and delaying my release. The club that has benefited the most thus far is the driver. I am suddenly hitting the ball on slight upswing with less spin. My carry on Friday would have averaged something like 240. Two weeks ago I had 275 up hill.

I've not changed my driver (2017 era model). I have my driver cut down to 44 inches and used a lightweight grip to maintain my headweight.

Back