Count backs in a tie

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
We just played our asses off and carded a 55 in a scramble. We won skins on the number 1 and number 2 handicap holes with eagles. Yet we lost on count backs. The tournament Started at hole 10 and we lost because we had a par on 11 and the other team had a birdie on 11. Who the heck does count backs that way???

Ironically we lost last year on count backs because we birdied the No 1 handicap and the other team eagled.

we are kind of pissed because we now think the other team won because they were a sponsor and we were not and the count backs are changed to however it benefits them.

Bottom line is that it should be impossible to lose on count backs if you also win a skin on the #1 handicap and then the #2 handicap.
thoughts?

Sounds kinda whacked to me!!!! Seems like if you won skins on #1 and #2 HC holes you should have won any tie.

Who the hell does count backs like that?? Its always the #1 & #2 handicap holes and so on

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't play in a lot of scrambles. What is a count back?
When there is a tie, typically they start at the number 1 handicap hole and see which tied team had the lower score. It goes until you find a lower score on a handicap hole.
So if two of us are tied after 18, the scorer looks at the number 1 handicap hole and see who had the lower score. We had a 3, they had a 4 so we should have won. But the scorer just started with hole 10. We both had 3s but the other team had a 3 and we had a 4 on 11 so the other team was declared the winner.

Our arguement is that we should have won since we were the only team to eagle the number 1 handicap hole and just for giggles the only team to eagle the number 2 handicap hole.

When there is a tie, typically they start at the number 1 handicap hole and see which tied team had the lower score. It goes until you find a lower score on a handicap hole.
So if two of us are tied after 18, the scorer looks at the number 1 handicap hole and see who had the lower score. We had a 3, they had a 4 so we should have won. But the scorer just started with hole 10. We both had 3s but the other team had a 3 and we had a 4 on 11 so the other team was declared the winner.

Our arguement is that we should have won since we were the only team to eagle the number 1 handicap hole and just for giggles the only team to eagle the number 2 handicap hole.
Thanks for the explanation. That's pretty ridiculous.

I’ve never seen a scorecard playoff done any other way but the lowest -> highest handicap holes, but I guess it’s up to the organizers to do it however they want to.

I’ve never seen a scorecard playoff done any other way but the lowest -> highest handicap holes, but I guess it’s up to the organizers to do it however they want to.
Coincidentally we lost the same event last year due to count back. And it was to the same team. However last year they went by handicap holes. This is part of the reason we think there is some shenanigans going on. The rules seem to change to benefit one team.

Most of the scrambles in my area count back from the 18th hole. The exception would be several cash scrambles where ties are settled in a playoff or chip off. Regardless all the scrambles announce how they are going settle ties and is printed on the rules sheet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

:D

Stop getting into ties. Stack the team and go shoot 21 or 22 under and win it outright. :cool:

Totally agree; you were screwed. Doing it on order played in lieu of difficulty is total horse hockey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coincidentally we lost the same event last year due to count back. And it was to the same team. However last year they went by handicap holes. This is part of the reason we think there is some shenanigans going on. The rules seem to change to benefit one team.
Yep you got screwed due to politics and it also questions if the winning team really posting a legit score.

Two thoughts.

1 - Normally they do front 9 or back 9 total for a victor around these parts.
2 - It's a scramble. Does it really matter who wins?
Its not a win or lose thing as much as it is a fairness thing. Plus the winning team won $600.

Its not a win or lose thing as much as it is a fairness thing. Plus the winning team won $600.
That type of thing should be established before the tournament begins.

We lost a scramble earlier in the year on a technicality as well. Didn't much matter as we donated the winnings back to the charity, as did I think most teams in the money, but I didn't really care. With all the extra nonsense in scrambles, I don't expect to win.

You got ******. No two ways about it.

Most of the scrambles in my area count back from the 18th hole.

We have one here that does that.

Regardless all the scrambles announce how they are going settle ties and is printed on the rules sheet.

^^^ Exactly. They shouldn't just make the sh*t up as they go. And a sponsor team is the last team that needs a win like that. You got shafted on this one wubears.

We always do a front or back 9 card off. To be honest I never know the reasoning behind which they choose but it seems to predominantly be the 18, 17, 16 etc so the back 9 backwards.

In your case though changing it from year to year, if it wasn't outlined in the rules, definitely sounds fishy to me.

Here our countback is always back 9, last 6, then hole by hole starting at 18.

There's no "fair" countback system, especially if it's a shotgun start.

Rules should be known up front regardless

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Back