2020 Handicap System will update indexes daily

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I wasn't aware of this change until talking about it with a couple buddies during our round today. I like the fact that handicaps will update daily, what does everyone else think?

No change for me.
RCGA system up here updates immediately after every posted score.

I see daily updates as a positive also. The only potential snag I can think of is it could conceivably muck up a flighted multi-day club event here or there. Nothing a good club competition committee couldn't sort out.

That is pretty cool. I always look at my trend under the GHIN system so I guess that trend will immediately be actual. No more milking a higher index for a week and a half or so before it updates for a really good round.

I like it.

I think it will be more honest. I've known more than one person who has scheduled their rounds and score posting to manipulate the current revision dates to their benefit. Like Daddio said there will have to be entry day cutoffs for multi-day events and stuff, but that should be pretty easy.

"Daily handicap revisions, taking account of the course and weather conditions calculation" is the part that interests me and I'm curious how exactly it's going to be implemented. All I've seen is there will be an algorithim that notices unusual scores on that course that day and adjusts accordingly. ? I haven't seen a detailed explanation of this.

The net double bogey limit is interesting too.

I think it will be more honest. I've known more than one person who has scheduled their rounds and score posting to manipulate the current revision dates to their benefit. Like Daddio said there will have to be entry day cutoffs for multi-day events and stuff, but that should be pretty easy.

"Daily handicap revisions, taking account of the course and weather conditions calculation" is the part that interests me and I'm curious how exactly it's going to be implemented. All I've seen is there will be an algorithim that notices unusual scores on that course that day and adjusts accordingly. ? I haven't seen a detailed explanation of this.

The net double bogey limit is interesting too.
the implementation of the weather stuff should be interesting for sure.

the implementation of the weather stuff should be interesting for sure.

Especially when on a 45* windy cold day like yesterday at my club where only about 25 rounds were recorded. I had my second best round ever on my home course and I know one of my buddies shot under par as well. If a handful of other guys that day had exceptionally low rounds, does that mean that conditions were easy?? Seems to me they need a formula of some sort for wind/weather/speed of greens.

Especially when on a 45* windy cold day like yesterday at my club where only about 25 rounds were recorded. I had my second best round ever on my home course and I know one of my buddies shot under par as well. If a handful of other guys that day had exceptionally low rounds, does that mean that conditions were easy?? Seems to me they need a formula of some sort for wind/weather/speed of greens.
Technologically accounting for the weather is pretty easy. green speed maybe a different matter.

Technologically accounting for the weather is pretty easy. green speed maybe a different matter.

I was thinking when they double roll them for tournaments and combine that with tough pin positions. Our course easily plays 3 shots tougher when they do this.

This is why I'm anxious for more detail. What I've read about it is pretty vague. I mean, what if you and a buddy are the only one who post scores from that course that day because no one else wanted to fight the wind? Does two scratch golfers posting 82s trigger a correction? Is it more weather data related and the scoring algorithm is secondary? Vice versa? Because a weather condition handicap can pretty much be undone or doubled by pin placement alone, so I'm guessing it's more score(s) related. ? There's a thousand different ways this could go.

edit: see, like tahoebum just said, greens and pin placements that day can dramatically alter scoring. Could enhance or mitigate any perceived weather effect. I'm really curious how they're going to account for and apply their chosen factors for this 'weather conditions calculation'.

Thanks USGA for killing the trending handicap thread.

No issue with daily changes. I am curious how the weather thing will work in practice. I assume off seasons in areas stay the same.

I was thinking when they double roll them for tournaments and combine that with tough pin positions. Our course easily plays 3 shots tougher when they do this.
Yup. Either it will be completely ignored, or the course will have to manually put some kind of info in. That just sounds like a recipe for trouble.

The way I understand the score adjustment part in regards to weather/setup is an algorithm/program will look at the scores posted that day and if they are higher they will adjust. I assume there is a minimum on amount of scores posted for this to kick in. The main thing is people need to post on the day played and not waiting like some people I know do. Since that would throw things off for them and others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll just be happy when it shows my true current ability. I didn’t play enough postsble rounds this year to move it at all. Started as a 9.6, ended as a 9.6. But I was playing more like a 15 due to illness and subsequent medication. And to think last summer I was a solid 6. I made a fool of myself and helped my Pardner absolutely none at the THP Bridgestone Championship in July.

Of course I’ll be even happier if I kick the illness and start playing like a 6 again.

The way I understand the score adjustment part in regards to weather/setup is an algorithm/program will look at the scores posted that day and if they are higher they will adjust. I assume there is a minimum on amount of scores posted for this to kick in.

That's what I've assumed from how I read it too, and it feels like it will screw anyone in a small town or area where not many people post scores.

Back