Sense R1 Putter Grip Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an interesting concept that could be developed into something really awesome. Imagine if they got in with an OEM and the shaft was designed to allow more flexibility for a Sense grip and it’s weights.

Great review Gary. As one that likes to use a lighter feeling putter but doesn't really care for the feel of a bunch of extra weight in the extreme butt end of the shaft, this product really intrigues me.

• Admin
This is incredibly intriguing to me.

Little bump here. It’s worth a read.

Very solid review Molten Its a very intriguing idea for sure especially for those that like to tinker with grips and such. Seems like the install could be a little more complicated for the average grip changer though which may cause some to shy away, not to mention the hefty price tag for the whole kit.

Interesting concept for sure.

I've been experimenting with a range of putter grip weights, from 55 grams up to 125 grams. Some of the heavier ones are extra long (such as belly putter style) where much of the grip weight is down the shaft towards the head).
For me it seems the heavier grips (regardless of how or where the extra weight is added) provide the benefit of more stroke stability for short putting. I can definitely see how a player with the yips or a twitchy stroke could likely benefit from more grip weight.
The down side to heavier grips Is that when the overall dead weight of the putter becomes heavy I think this may diminish a player's sense of feel and touch.

Definitely intriguing. Nice review!

jdtox;n8894118 said:
Very solid review Molten Its a very intriguing idea for sure especially for those that like to tinker with grips and such. Seems like the install could be a little more complicated for the average grip changer though which may cause some to shy away, not to mention the hefty price tag for the whole kit.

Just a hair more complicated. Have to check the face and grip with a level to make sure it’s aligned

DG_1234;n8894175 said:
I've been experimenting with a range of putter grip weights, from 55 grams up to 125 grams. Some of the heavier ones are extra long (such as belly putter style) where much of the grip weight is down the shaft towards the head).
For me it seems the heavier grips (regardless of how or where the extra weight is added) provide the benefit of more stroke stability for short putting. I can definitely see how a player with the yips or a twitchy stroke could likely benefit from more grip weight.
The down side to heavier grips Is that when the overall dead weight of the putter becomes heavy I think this may diminish a player's sense of feel and touch.

You can definitely get inside that weight range and more with the R1 but with a normal size grip.

I think this is a great concept and could really help a person play around to find the perfect feel and balance for them. For someone like me though I may tinker around too much and second guess myself.

Great review!

Seriously considering this for my next grip after your forum post and review. Thank you for the detail!

My first thought was how was this innovative? You can buy a complete weight set from SuperStroke for the Countercore grips.

Thats what a skim job gets me. Duh, you can adjust where the weight is at, which I don’t think is possible with SS.

Smiter;n8897273 said:
......Duh, you can adjust where the weight is at, which I don’t think is possible with SS.

Yes, you are right, its not possible to move the SS weight. All the SS weight is in the butt end. For my S1, I have 40g (30+10) below my right hand. It completely changes the balance of the putter and feels really good.

BD96EDEA-CD5E-418C-B89A-77FB97DCD2C9.jpegA65A0C4B-35A9-4F06-BBFD-6016F4714CB8.jpeg3C3557A5-6862-4D24-885B-3EAA3E384E7B.jpeg8CDEE18A-35C7-4981-A016-77942F14FD61.jpeg
Just bought one to try out for S+Gs!

Gonna try it out on my Scotty Phantom me thinks...

Looking forward to your thoughts. Have had one sitting on my desk for a while and haven’t done a trial yet.

Looking forward to your thoughts. Have had one sitting on my desk for a while and haven’t done a trial yet.

I'm struggling a bit with how I want to align the grip....long side parallel with the face or perpendicular. Leaning towards long side aligned with the face of the putter.

I've read that the weight system, can also be used with SS counter core grips....which is nice, should I like the system, but hate the grip.

Interesting concept, interested how in repetitive play it performs in comparison to your normal grip.

This has got my attention. Very cool concept and nice packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice! I’ve meant to pick one up for a long time but it always ends up slipping my mind.
Will chime in when I get it installed.

R1 is on my Scotty now. Some quick thoughts:

Install: love the included level to make sure things are installed correctly. It surprised me as to how off kilter portions of a grip can be. I had to adjust the grip a fair amount to get it set. The level can be tricky to get set properly. I think I did a reasonable job. I’m also glad I watched the install videos and built up the shaft with tape according to the requirements. I had to add three wraps to get it to specs.

1st impression (not on course, just at home on carpet): Not a fan of the grip right off the bat. Buuuut.....this is just my initial reaction to the very sharp edges of the grip. It is unique, so it will take me time to settle in. The more I pick it up to fiddle with it, the more I’m getting used to it.
Saw system: I like the tech here. First strokes with just the grip alone had me thinking the saw system would help. Without any extensive testing, I just added in the 20g weight and put it approx where my right hand sits on the grip. Feels good so far and I def liked the weight in there compared to no weight.
May be playing tomorrow, so will see how it goes on course.

Last edited:
Got a chance to try this out on the putting green today.
The shape of the grip def takes getting used to, but I think I like it. It takes me a bit to get my hands settled on the grip, which is ok because I think the extreme edges of the grip may support a more consistent grip each time...dunno, I’m surmising.
One interesting point: this grip and setup have changed the acoustics of my strike. I’m getting a more audible strike on the ball, which I actually like. The sound helps with my feel, so I’m interested to see how that plays out. I didn’t play today, only hit some putts on the practice green.
When I’m putting well, I tend to feel like the back of my left hand is traveling down the line and with the R1, the larger flat side helps me in this regard perhaps.
Hoping to play golf tomorrow.

Ok, so not playing today..but did practice for a bit.
Some thoughts:
The grip is uncomfortable in your hands, but I think the end result/intention is all good. I’m finding that I’m a bit more aware of the face of the putter now, which will likely only help. Getting my hands set in the right position seems to take a bit of fiddling, but then I feel a bit more locked in. Which, again, I think I will like and have positive results.
In general, I think I like it and will be leaving it be.

Back