2020 World Handicap System - Explained

What confuses me is the lack of impact a competition average score has. In the current UK system, a medal competition has a competition standard scratch. So if you shoot your handicap for a net 72, the fact that half the field beat their handicap makes a difference to the day you are the only player to shoot your handicap.

I like the idea of everyone having a similar system, I just don't like the system.

Is the weather/course setup adjustment supposed to capture some of that aspect in this system? Seems like the mechanic is at least a bit different but trying to do the same thing.

And I don’t really see how the standardization of handicap calculation can really be anything but a positive. Or exactly how the videos are “PC”. But whatever.
I admit Im probably over exaggerating when I say that. But Ive simply just grown so darn tired and annoyed with P correctness constantly being forced down my throat at most every turn we make and everything we do and hear nowadays. And this does imo ring that tune at least a little bit. Why does everyone from everywhere have to fit into the same things the same way as though its a problem if we don't?

I don't so much mind the idea of having a universal system per say (though not a fan of this specific one) but I dont like being fed the false BS in which we are told this is somehow making the game easier to access, more relevant and modern, or somehow more enjoyable. Where any of us currently lacking in those things within the game and within our games till now and is the reason due to the current system? I mean why feed us lies? Most of us dont even care what others across the country are doing or fwiw even across our own states, why would we give two cents what someone half way round the world is doing in a different system? And jus how does that make our game more modern, more easy to play and more enjoyable? I dont see why we "need" to change what we currently are use to doing just for the sake of 1% of golf playing world travelers.

I admit Im probably over exaggerating when I say that. But Ive simply just grown so darn tired and annoyed with P correctness constantly being forced down my throat at most every turn we make and everything we do and hear nowadays. And this does imo ring that tune at least a little bit. Why does everyone from everywhere have to fit into the same things the same way as though its a problem if we don't?

I don't so much mind the idea of having a universal system per say (though not a fan of this specific one) but I dont like being fed the false BS in which we are told this is somehow making the game easier to access, more relevant and modern, or somehow more enjoyable. Where any of us currently lacking in those things within the game and within our games till now and is the reason due to the current system? I mean why feed us lies? Most of us dont even care what others across the country are doing or fwiw even across our own states, why would we give two cents what someone half way round the world is doing in a different system? And jus how does that make our game more modern, more easy to play and more enjoyable? I dont see why we "need" to change what we currently are use to doing just for the sake of 1% of golf playing world travelers.

More accessible: as someone who’s introduced multiple people to the game in recent years, removing the 36 handicap cap will get more people maintaining a handicap. Two of the people I got started playing gave up keeping a handicap or posting scores because no matter what happened things stayed the same at 36.

More modern: you’re taking changes that have been implemented in a number of different handicapping systems and applying them across the world. Sounds modern to me.

And finally, you do realize there are a LOT more countries than just the US, right? And some of them are fairly close to each other, and have different handicapping systems. Just because you don’t travel doesn’t mean there aren’t people who do, and this will make it easier to coordinate international competitions. And I’d imagine the number of golfers in the rest of the world is larger than the number of golfers in the US.

So spare me the PC grievance factory BS. You can argue against the changes on their merits, but this line of complaining is absurd.

Really won't make any difference with the people I play with. Don't like that they are taking the big number out of the picture, seems that it will hurt the consistent player and benefit the erratic player.

More accessible: as someone who’s introduced multiple people to the game in recent years, removing the 36 handicap cap will get more people maintaining a handicap. Two of the people I got started playing gave up keeping a handicap or posting scores because no matter what happened things stayed the same at 36.

More modern: you’re taking changes that have been implemented in a number of different handicapping systems and applying them across the world. Sounds modern to me.

And finally, you do realize there are a LOT more countries than just the US, right? And some of them are fairly close to each other, and have different handicapping systems. Just because you don’t travel doesn’t mean there aren’t people who do, and this will make it easier to coordinate international competitions. And I’d imagine the number of golfers in the rest of the world is larger than the number of golfers in the US.

So spare me the PC grievance factory BS. You can argue against the changes on their merits, but this line of complaining is absurd.
we can agree to disagree no problem :)
IMO ….The overall benefit to this is far more going to affect those people of other close proximity nations just as you mention than it ever will any us here or our neighbors to our north and south. We were all just fine the way we were. We honestly didnt "need" to worry about it nor change what we do here because frankly we were just fine except for a very tiniest percentage. I mean what.....like 1% of all us who participate?

According to what I could find there are about 60 million golfers world wide of which nearly 40% or more here in the US alone. And also about 4o% or more of all golf courses (nearly 16,000) located here. If it is so crucial to golf that we all have a common system (which im not 100% against) why not have the rest consisting of (relatively speaking) only small percentages of golfers and courses join what we already have in place which has been serving nearly half the worlds golfers and golf courses just fine for years. Certainly its not a perfect system and could use some tweaking but it always would and so would any new system so that's besides the point.

As individual nations we dominate by far (a landslides worth) in participation among the general population masses vs all other nations. Only collectively do they then begin to "all" add up together to then compare. We even have (although small amount) more people participating in our hc system than other countries have golfers as a whole. And just by sheer numbers , clearly the largest by far supporters of the industry.

So why is it such the dominating presence among golf globally have to be the ones to change what we do? With nearly half the worlds golfers and golf courses and supporting structure , why we have to bother with the change that many are not caring to do? Why the far majority cater to the needs of the few? Why not have the few who have a problem then be the ones to adapt to what we do? We honestly don't need the change , they do. But here is where the being PC imo comes into play.

We nearly half the worlds players didnt have a problem with this so why should we change? we were fine. If the other 5 systems at different places saw any big problem then have only them change to our system. Just sayin

I mean even my golf. My simple choice of recreation for simple fun and enjoyment has to now have some stress of change thrown in just to accommodate others elsewhere so they fit in better. I dont give a crap that they didnt fit in the same before. Neither did 99% of us nor should we have to. We were happy the way it was.

Last edited:
The 5 stroke thing is ridiculous. The solution to sandbagging is to punish people who legitimately are already suffering through a miserable season by arbitrarily giving them an artificially low index? That's absurd. Whatever happened to having the index reflect your actual capabilities?

Index was never meant to reflect actual capabilities though. Always been potential hence not an average of all rounds or actual scores without ESC adjustment.

At least now places with no official off season won't have as big of an advantage on guys playing to a handicap that was a reflection of how you were playing at the end of the year compared to the dumpster fire of a game most people have in April after winter.

I get that it will prevent some sandbagging, but I have a buddy that went from a steady 4-5-ish the last few years to a legit 15 this year. If the system doesn't let his handicap reflect that because it's "retaining a memory of his lowest handicap index from the last twelve months, and applying a mechanism to make sure it doesn't increase too quickly from that low index", he and anyone else in that position is screwed.

I agree that people will be surprised by their lower caps. A couple of us already talked about how the change to 8 best alone would dramatically lower ours.

I went from a 6 last summer (not the one that just ended) to a 9.6 now. The problem is that due to illness and subsequent medication issues, I’ve played more like a 15. Also due to that I haven’t been able to play enough postable rounds to have my current ability (15ish) be accurately reflected. It really screwed over my partner in the THP Bridgestone Championship that I played in this summer. Had my current actual abilities been reflected, we would have at least been competitive (though no one was taking down the Pete/Nerdy machine, lol). Instead we finished DFL and even as much fun as I had I couldn’t help but feel I let my partner down.

I’ll hit some decent shots then damn near miss the ball on others. Hopefully the illness will be gone come next season but until I level out one way or another I’m not going to enter any THP team type events because it’s not fair to my partner in it.

The new system is bringing most other systems more in line with USA system, so everyone else has more reason to complain. A guy at our club has a 4.2 handicap in UK and ,spending winters in Florida, a handicap of 0.4 in USA. He says it is far easier to manipulate your handicap in USA than UK. Either way.

Some people just want their own way to be everyone's way. We are guilty of it in UK, especially on things like gun laws.

The more I look at the system the more it becomes clear that handicaps are going to be lower and that shooting your handicap is going to be even more the exception than it is now.

Net even to par will now mean you played a very good round compared to the current you shot slightly better than usual. I think the statistics for the current USGA system is roughly 25% of your rounds will be net par or better. The new system with the number of protections from going up looks like net par will now be between 10% and 20% of rounds. B flight is going to be very interesting now since the 5-10 handicap is going to be rough. Whoever shoots their cap is basically going to win. C flight is not going to favor the consistent 16 anymore and D flight will always be a wildcard.

For actually playing and posting scores. Dot your scorecard if you want to post the round. It's not that difficult. If match play, likely the round wont be able to be posted.

I am a consistently mediocre mid-high handicapper and will occasionally throw up a high 70s round.... I don’t see this impacting me much at all

Looks like a lot more calculation adjustment than before. Do we know if the GHIN system will let you can enter a hole by hole score into the pc or phone app? It looks like a lot more scorecard work for the friendly game in our group. :confused:

Things i like;
-weather adjustments to course difficulty
- daily adjustment vs bi-weekly
-easier to move index down than up

The guy i have been playing with will likely stop getting 6 strokes a side from me as his index comes down from stratospheric weather balloon level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something that isn’t clear; will there no longer be a start and end to index tracking season? Seeing as the course rating/slope can be adjusted for weather, temperature and course condition should no longer matter, allowing you to post rounds all year long. Right?

I have seen a few people mention entering score hole by hole but I do not see that mentioned anywhere in the OP or in any of the videos. That would be a royal pain in my opinion if that has to be done.

It does seem the new system will yield lower caps overall. But, one thing that had not mentioned that I see as a huge issue at my course, is that people will still be able to manipulate their cap to sandbag by either not entering a good score or fudging the score they do enter to ensure their index does not drop. I don't think their is anyway to fix people's integrity, if that is an issue in the first place with them, with any system that counts on an individual to enter honest scores.

I guess with the new system coming in 2020 I should probably start playing by the stated rules and stop entering solo scores. That will greatly reduce the number of rounds I post but will likely not have much of an impact, good or bad, on my index. I am the same player alone or in a group.

I get that it will prevent some sandbagging, but I have a buddy that went from a steady 4-5-ish the last few years to a legit 15 this year. If the system doesn't let his handicap reflect that because it's "retaining a memory of his lowest handicap index from the last twelve months, and applying a mechanism to make sure it doesn't increase too quickly from that low index", he and anyone else in that position is screwed.

I agree that people will be surprised by their lower caps. A couple of us already talked about how the change to 8 best alone would dramatically lower ours.

Yeah I just figured mine at 8 best and it lowers it by 20%. Man that is not good.

I am a consistently mediocre mid-high handicapper and will occasionally throw up a high 70s round.... I don’t see this impacting me much at all
actually, since this new system is designed to reflect even more of our best golf this is likely going to hurt you more (via a lower vanity cap) than it would a similar player who doesn't post the occasional 70's round.

actually, since this new system is designed to reflect even more of our best golf this is likely going to hurt you more (via a lower vanity cap) than it would a similar player who doesn't post the occasional 70's round.
Only for a short period of time.... like 20 rounds worth

I have seen a few people mention entering score hole by hole but I do not see that mentioned anywhere in the OP or in any of the videos. That would be a royal pain in my opinion if that has to be done.

So do you just normally enter your total strokes for the round when entering a score? Here in the UK, every individual hole score is entered (gross strokes, not adjusted) and the system automatically calculates any adjustments needed based on your handicap

Personally I think having a worldwide system is a good thing as it means everyone is playing by the same rules - I have often wondered what my equivalent handicap would be if my scores were processed under the USGA rules as opposed to the current CONGU rules here in the UK

Until it is fully implemented, I have no idea how different it will be to what we do now over here, but I will just continue to play the competitions / league matches and record the total shots taken on each hole and let my handicap fall where it will

So do you just normally enter your total strokes for the round when entering a score? Here in the UK, every individual hole score is entered (gross strokes, not adjusted) and the system automatically calculates any adjustments needed based on your handicap

Personally I think having a worldwide system is a good thing as it means everyone is playing by the same rules - I have often wondered what my equivalent handicap would be if my scores were processed under the USGA rules as opposed to the current CONGU rules here in the UK

Until it is fully implemented, I have no idea how different it will be to what we do now over here, but I will just continue to play the competitions / league matches and record the total shots taken on each hole and let my handicap fall where it will

The current system only requires entering your round total, along with selecting the course and tees played from. The system shows you variance for the round in relation to the course rating and shows you your total trending index based on the best best of your last 20 rounds. Currently, it only officially updates your index on the 1st and 15th of every month. As far as the max on a given hole, it is up to the individual to adjust their score down (someone made a 10 while the max on that hole for their handicap range is an 8) prior to entering the score.

The current system only requires entering your round total, along with selecting the course and tees played from. The system shows you variance for the round in relation to the course rating and shows you your total trending index based on the best best of your last 20 rounds. Currently, it only officially updates your index on the 1st and 15th of every month. As far as the max on a given hole, it is up to the individual to adjust their score down (someone made a 10 while the max on that hole for their handicap range is an 8) prior to entering the score.

Gotcha

Our handicaps are updated after every competitive round (or supplementary scorecard) is submitted
Maybe it is because it is what I have been used to, but being able to enter the gross scores by hole and having the system do any adjustments seems much easier than having to work out adjustments for your score prior to entering a total for the round - all competition rounds are programmed in to the system in terms of the tees played prior to the start of the competition

The only time we might not enter a total for a hole is in Stableford competitions when it isn't possible to score a point any more (which is the equivalent of par + any handicap strokes + 2), but at this point we just mark a line on the scorecard to indicate no score

Right now GHIN provides the option to either enter total ESC score (meaning golfer does all the math) or to enter scores hole by hole. I play so many different courses and tee boxes that I always take the few minutes to put scores in hole by hole so GHIN can make adjustments based upon my current index, course ratings/slope, hole handicap etc... My guess is that the world handicap system will work much the same and entering hole by hole will be even more important since our indexes might be updating daily vs bi-weekly.

Yeah I just figured mine at 8 best and it lowers it by 20%. Man that is not good.

Just did mine using 8 instead of 10 and it went from 9.5 to 9.1, so not much of a difference at all.

I think that has to do with my scores not having a huge variance, my top ten range from 77-81, my top eight range from 77-80

Will the new formula incorporate the 0.96 modifier too? I've been on an unusually consistent roll lately so I wouldn't see much change going from best 10 to best 8. I'd actually go up a tenth if the the 0.96 no longer applies.

Will the new formula incorporate the 0.96 modifier too? I've been on an unusually consistent roll lately so I wouldn't see much change going from best 10 to best 8. I'd actually go up a tenth if the the 0.96 no longer applies.
There is no .96 modifier in the new system. I looked at my current tracker and I would go from 12.6 with current to 12.7 on the new system with the differentials. Of course, the differentials are based on the current ESC and not the new “double plus handicap stroke” ESC, but I am not sure it would have changed anything.

Back