Business Trip to Japan - 1st time

I follow this guy for his cooking. I even recently ate at his place in San Diego (Not, Not Tacos). Anyway, he is a favorite of mine and I didn’t know he had a trip to Japan Edition. This is actually Part 2 (watching part 1 now). Anyway, I found it tonight and thought of the OP’s trip and food. Enjoy

Thank you! Will watch this.

Flights are booked. Flying ANA airlines.

Looks like my colleagues will be bringing me out to play golf!!

Excited to see what golf in Japan is like.

Having travelled to Asia over 20 times, my best advice is get a good pair of noise cancelling headphones for the plane. I use Bose but with flight 15+ hours the ability to drown out crying babies, etc. So you can sleep , doze or catch a movie(s) is critical to survive the flight. Also usually flew first class but that doesn’t mean you are immune to noise but I always took some sleeping aid (no alcohol) and could usually sleep 8-10 hours. Sure made the flight pass faster.

In terms of food, I always ate at well know established restaurants where I knew the food/hygiene was top quality. Never got sick or food poisoning and I ate some crazy stuff. Also, I like to walk and see the sights, albeit in daylight.
On final word of advice, travel with a backpack (Tokyo and Hong Kong airport can have long walks), guard your backpack/wallet and get some of those credit card sleeves so thieves can’t swipe your CC info remotely. Lots of really good pick pocket thieves travel in crowded environments.

As far as golf, I only played when I was in the Philippines as my buddy who was the country manager loved to play golf so we would travel all over the island and play some really nice high end clubs on his generous expense budget or for free as a guest of a vendor/client. I would go over for usually 10-14 days so always took my clubs. I bet I played about 8-10 different courses while over there. Only time I shelled out cash was for the caddy and umbrella girl. Have some pretty fun memories

Lastly, have fun.

I've also traveled to Asia numerous times and agree with Jimmy's comments - particularly with the noise canceling headphones and security thoughts. Try to get at least business class seats, anything is better than steerage/coach. I would also consider walking around the cabin periodically and wearing comfortable shoes and compression socks - its a long time to be in a pressurized tube. Move around and hydrate with non alcoholic beverages as needed.

If you get there during daylight hours, hit the ground running and do your best to adjust to the date/time change. I was usually over there three days before lag hit. Read up and follow the travel site ideas to best handle jet lag, before you leave and when you get there.

Definitely read up on Asian business culture and how to interact, especially in Japan.

Would anyone be interested if I tried to log some
I've also traveled to Asia numerous times and agree with Jimmy's comments - particularly with the noise canceling headphones and security thoughts. Try to get at least business class seats, anything is better than steerage/coach. I would also consider walking around the cabin periodically and wearing comfortable shoes and compression socks - its a long time to be in a pressurized tube. Move around and hydrate with non alcoholic beverages as needed.

If you get there during daylight hours, hit the ground running and do your best to adjust to the date/time change. I was usually over there three days before lag hit. Read up and follow the travel site ideas to best handle jet lag, before you leave and when you get there.

Definitely read up on Asian business culture and how to interact, especially in Japan.

Thank you! Yeah, I have some good noise cancelling Sony headphones. I will be flying ANA business class (thankfully!). All of your advise is well taken. I bought some compression socks and a sleeping mask. Also bringing my nephews Nintendo Switch to have a bit of fun playing Zelda....always wanted to play it but never had the time.
I'm taking various notes here from everyone, so thank you all!

Can you guys recommend some great gifts or things to buy while in JP?

Can you guys recommend some great gifts or things to buy while in JP

With the savings the company passed on to me by flying coach, I bought my wife a nice necklace of Mikimoto pearls.

Been to Japan a bunch of times for travel with my job. I've always wanted to play a round there but golf is an entirely different experience over there. Never played myself but everything I've read and heard is that its an all day experience. No quick rounds at all.

For me I usually visit as many golf shops as i can and just demo different Japanese brands. I try to bring home lots of golf balls more than anything. Japanese balls are interesting to play with, and a few I've really enjoyed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looks like my colleagues will be bringing me out to play golf!!

Excited to see what golf in Japan is like.

Just don’t aim for pins on par 3’s ....could cost you a pretty penny ?!

Flight off to Japan on Monday! ??

Safe travels, have a blast!

I worked for a Japanese company and one tip. The Japanese take great store in business cards and how you present and receive them. They will hand them over with both hands on the corners and make you feel they are giving you a Congressional medal of Honour. You should receive them with the same intensity and carefully read every word, and be seen to. When you pass yours to them, they will take it as seriously as they expect you to do with theirs. Make sure they see you place their card in a safe place with respect. Dropping it into a pile in your bag does not make you look respectful.

Remember, the Japanese would rather lose money than face.

Gifts are challenging. I wouldn’t bring alcohol, unless you know the person really well. My recommendation is something unique to your area/state. Ideally it’s very unique (i.e. something not available on Amazon ?). The act of giving is what’s important because it tells the recipient they’re important. The item is of minor importantance. Take extra time and put lots ‘fancy’ wrapping on EACH item. Also, don’t be surprised if the recipient accepts the gift and doesn’t open it when you’re together. It’s just one of the quirky differences between Japan and western countries.
We hosted 2 twelve year old boys form Japan for a student exchange program a few years back.
Do take a gift from your area. Just something simple.

image.jpgPacking up for the big trip!!! Love this backpack!

CD295DEE-0970-4A7A-AA41-ED4F30BA0A3D.jpeg0DABC17E-A0C7-4287-AF7A-6CAB77C5EEBE.jpeg
Here we go! Getting set for my crazy long flight to Tokyo...

image.jpg

F471913B-7D46-4782-907A-BCE0D4776C41.jpeg
i made the serendipitous mistake of hitting the wrong button.... well, i will say....don’t knock it till yah tried it!!! Ha!

Plot twist at 3am this morning...turns out I’ve managed to develop a kidney stone. The pain is rough... : (

Plot twist at 3am this morning...turns out I’ve managed to develop a kidney stone. The pain is rough... : (
Yikes dude! Hope it doesn't ruin your trip! :(

That sucks....my wife has gone through about 10 in her lifetime, all I can suggest drink tons and tons of water. If you can get any pain meds they will certainly help take some of the sharpness away. Good luck.

Back