LIVE UPDATE THREAD The 2019 Graphite Challenge with UST Mamiya

Great stuff so far guys!! SWAG is on point (no surprises there), knowledge bombs with dinner and lots of good fun happening it looks like. Have fun with the new sticks out there guys!!

Rise and shine!!! It’s almost range time!

Sun isn’t up yet, but I sure am. Only thing standing between me and the range right now is a cup of coffee.

Looks like a great time by everyone last night. Those new sticks are ???

@GraniteRoost: “What are you doing?”

Me: “Dude, I’m ironing my shirt. Look good, play good.”
68DD2E21-140E-4002-9F8D-3403C5266315.jpeg

Goodness...image.jpg

Little drizzle not going to hurt anyone.BC9969BB-66B6-4458-8696-5A773B634F4E.jpeg

Little delay but we are playing in a few hours and it’s going to be a blast on the Palmer. Then Champ tomorrow.

Little delay but we are playing in a few hours and it’s going to be a blast on the Palmer. Then Champ tomorrow.

Two awesome courses! I can’t wait to hear how everyone navigates the Bear Trap tomorrow? Playing the trap from the tips?

Two awesome courses! I can’t wait to hear how everyone navigates the Bear Trap tomorrow? Playing the trap from the tips?

Yes sir.

Enjoy the day and the awesome new sticks!

Yes!!!! So much awesome.

That is the right way to see the Champ. Either all the way back or one tee forward, the Golds I think. The wind has an effect on how some of those holes play also. I remember #16 being the one for me with most ill-effect due to wind.

I'll be jumping on my flight to PBI in a few hours. There is a weather front pushing through and it should be clearing up right around Noon.

So, breaking news, I may be changing my handle to @PowerThrust

@BHGtylerb

Have a great round guys!!!

That is the right way to see the Champ. Either all the way back or one tee forward, the Golds I think. The wind has an effect on how some of those holes play also. I remember #16 being the one for me with most ill-effect due to wind.

I'll be jumping on my flight to PBI in a few hours. There is a weather front pushing through and it should be clearing up right around Noon.

It was such an awesome time. I remember making a birdie on 15 during our event there. On 16 I got into the fairway bunker off the tee and recovered ok. 17 just ate my lunch.

Any word from Tyler about updated Edge irons or are they staying as is? Honestly, I don’t see how they could improve them

It was such an awesome time. I remember making a birdie on 15 during our event there. On 16 I got into the fairway bunker off the tee and recovered ok. 17 just ate my lunch.

Well done on #15!! That is the other one that the wind usually killed me on. #16 is such a tough tee shot to get perfect for your best approach to the green and at best, it is usually a 8 or 9 iron, plus 2 clubs for wind, like a 6 or a 7. Tough shot across the water!!

Ha!! #17 ironically is the one I birdied the most. I cannot for the life of me remember what yardage it was playing the last time I played it, I sort of remember it being a mid-iron, like a 6... and my shot ended up 1.5' from the hole.

Don't you just love #18 from the back elevated tee looking out to the first dogleg and fairway bunkers sitting out there? Then, depending on your tee shot, you have to decide how much you want to go for the green with the lake on the right and the green jutting out into it. I think I only tried it once. IIRC, I usually played a layup to wedge distance. What a great finishing hole!

I'm excited for this group to play the Champ! It's toughness is not from it's length but rather from water and bunkers... and green positions to water, plus prevailing wind.

Some shaft notes:

Weight is the most important variable in shaft selection. Lighter weight can help generate and maintain CHS throughout your round. Lighter weight shafts by their nature DO NOT give up dispersion, in fact it helps in many cases.

Flex is less important. And softer shafts are NOT more likely to make you hook. Freddie couples 3w played on tour for years was a ladies model with ladies shaft.

Tempo is can play a big part in what shaft works for you, as much or more than CHS numbers.

Well done on #15!! That is the other one that the wind usually killed me on. #16 is such a tough tee shot to get perfect for your best approach to the green and at best, it is usually a 8 or 9 iron, plus 2 clubs for wind, like a 6 or a 7. Tough shot across the water!!

Ha!! #17 ironically is the one I birdied the most. I cannot for the life of me remember what yardage it was playing the last time I played it, I sort of remember it being a mid-iron, like a 6... and my shot ended up 1.5' from the hole.

Don't you just love #18 from the back elevated tee looking out to the first dogleg and fairway bunkers sitting out there? Then, depending on your tee shot, you have to decide how much you want to go for the green with the lake on the right and the green jutting out into it. I think I only tried it once. IIRC, I usually played a layup to wedge distance. What a great finishing hole!

I'm excited for this group to play the Champ! It's toughness is not from it's length but rather from water and bunkers... and green positions to water, plus prevailing wind.

18 is just an amazing finishing hole! Making me want to get back there again!

Back