Made a deal with a coworker, free irons for company on the course

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
I play with two of my coworkers fairly regularly. They are the closest thing I have to playing partners, minus @LoffKat who is my playing and life partner.

Turns out we have another person in our office who just took up the game this year. He doesn't want to come play with us, as he is a beginner and has all the beginner jitters. "I don't want to hold you guys up. I am not good enough yet. I don't want to embarrass myself" etc.

We spoke about golf and playing and equipment for a little bit. He is playing some old ass set of irons, which I am sure are hurting him. He is one of our warehouse guys, so he doesn't make a lot of money.

So I made him a deal. I told him I would give him my G30s, but he had to play with us at least 4 times before they officially become his. He also has to have fun. He also has to not worry. And the #1 rule among the three of us, NO TALKING ABOUT WORK!

He was very appreciative and offered to pay. I refused. The reality is, even though I have custom shafts and grips, the set is worth about $150. I am fortunate enough to have arrived at a place, financially, where that figure is not meaningful to me. I told him I would rather gift the set to someone, have them enjoy them, and get a new playing partner much more than I want $150 in my pocket.

Trying to help grow the game. Got my mom playing, got Kate playing, and hopefully getting this guy into it.

So if you have some clubs laying about, try to find someone who could use them, or gift them to a charity that supports the sport.

Good on ya! I have also had the pleasure of gifting irons/clubs to co-workers who wanted to get into the game.

It is an awesome feeling when you can pass the gift of the game on!

Gifted my G5's to my niece so she could be on the High School golf team....I miss that HL 3 iron !!!

I’ve gifted 12 full sets to coworkers over the years. Don’t know if the majority of them have stuck with it because they’ve moved on to bigger and better things but it was cool to be able to get them into this awesome game

Awesome way to pay your winnings forward!! Love it!

To the OP - what a nice gesture, not only the clubs, but introducing him to the game the way you are doing. Showing him that golf should be fun, and an escape from work or worries for a few hours. Good Job.

Super nice gesture on your part millsan, nicely done. :clapp:Hopefully your coworker sticks with it.

I keep trying to give my older clubs to people. They keep on insisting on playing right handed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well done at that is what we call paying it forward. Here is a big thumbs up to hoping he enjoys the game as the rest of us!!!

#ItsAboutGrowingTheGame

I play with two of my coworkers fairly regularly. They are the closest thing I have to playing partners, minus @LoffKat who is my playing and life partner.

Turns out we have another person in our office who just took up the game this year. He doesn't want to come play with us, as he is a beginner and has all the beginner jitters. "I don't want to hold you guys up. I am not good enough yet. I don't want to embarrass myself" etc.

We spoke about golf and playing and equipment for a little bit. He is playing some old ass set of irons, which I am sure are hurting him. He is one of our warehouse guys, so he doesn't make a lot of money.

So I made him a deal. I told him I would give him my G30s, but he had to play with us at least 4 times before they officially become his. He also has to have fun. He also has to not worry. And the #1 rule among the three of us, NO TALKING ABOUT WORK!

He was very appreciative and offered to pay. I refused. The reality is, even though I have custom shafts and grips, the set is worth about $150. I am fortunate enough to have arrived at a place, financially, where that figure is not meaningful to me. I told him I would rather gift the set to someone, have them enjoy them, and get a new playing partner much more than I want $150 in my pocket.

Trying to help grow the game. Got my mom playing, got Kate playing, and hopefully getting this guy into it.

So if you have some clubs laying about, try to find someone who could use them, or gift them to a charity that supports the sport.
I'd give this post 1000 likes if I could. Love what ya did here, my THP brother! Often times we hear the term "grow the game" and I think, more often than not, we're thinking about someone ELSE growing the game or strictly think in terms of getting young people in the game. It's cool that you took the initiative (even if you had the ulterior motive of gaining a playing partner) to give this guy some incentive to get out and enjoy himself with some like minded people away from work. And what better sport to do it with than golf!? :p

Like you, I would get 1000 times more satisfaction out of giving the clubs away and having another golf partner than I would ever get out of a "here today, gone tomorrow" $150.00. Loved reading your post, @millsan1 and keep us updated about your new golf buddy (I'm sure you'll direct here, at some point, yeah?).

I keep trying to give my older clubs to people. They keep on insisting on playing right handed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have the same dilemma, brother. I've got two full sets (though both have at least one club that the shaft is broken, so they'd need to be re-shafted) that are just sitting in a closet. They're older (Cally X-12s and Nike Slingshots) but better than nothing for a beginner. I sold a set of Callaway Fusions and a TaylorMade SuperSpeed on here a couple of years ago for $125.00. I was thrilled t get that!!! :ROFLMAO:

Good for you and hope he stays with it.

good for you, I could not begin to figure out the amount of equipment i have given to those i have taught, helped or just wanted to make sure they had something to play with if they really wanted to play. Never have regretted giving golf equipment away...

That's a nice trade deal, and something that will continue to pay off in the end as you have yet another person to play with for many years to come

Good for you Anthony! Grow the game!

I was a gigantic putter ***** in my teens and had the ability to get them fairly cheap(my dad was the club manager) and was able to sell a like new Odyssey putter for $1 to a kid that didn’t have a lot of money but loved golf. I told him to sell it to the next kid for $1 too.

Love it!

Giving when you can and encouraging involvement. Well done, sir.

What a great gesture! I’m sure your co-worker is tremendously thankful and is also pretty excited to have someone to go with.

I’m starting to think that this Millsan1 fella is a pretty nice guy?

That’s awesome. I’ve done that same thing in fishing for many years.

I’m starting to think that this Millsan1 fella is a pretty nice guy
That is a nasty, malicious rumor

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

That is a great gesture, good on you. Having someone to play with and support through the golf journey is priceless, high five my man.

Back