LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

Like @JMB3 mentioned, of all the things I had expected during my fitting, a partial lesson wasn’t one of them.

My driver/iron fitting was done by Nick. We started off with a quick warm up with an Epic Forged 8i / Steelfibre combo. After Nick was ready he watched as I hit a few, then swapped me into one of the new irons / Catalyst 60. Hit that, then a few with new iron /steel combo just as a comparison. Went back to the EF then the new iron with a Catalyst and determined that to be the one for me.

Went to driver and through a series of moving from a 9* to 10.5* and some minor shoulder and arm angles, came away with a 25 yard increase over my 9* XR16. Probably as much of my time with the driver was spent with Nick giving me a mini lesson as it did just hitting the ball.

Made a quick call on which Jaws wedges to go with and got everything down on the fitting sheet. That was immediately sent to the tour department so they could begin building my clubs to have ready for tomorrow.

Just before we left ECPC, Slinger approached me to let me know that they had run out of the specific irons I was fit into, so they were subbing those particular irons with something else for tomorrow, and would ship those out of stock irons after they come in. So, will have Epic Forged irons (7i-AW) in play tomorrow (and take home) and then 2020 irons sent later. Not too shabby.
So much greatness happens at this event that it can be easy to overlook incredible acts of generosity. I'm bolding the above so this doesn't get lost. Someone is getting 2 sets of irons merely because the set he was fit into isn't available the rest of the weekend. Insane.

Like @JMB3 mentioned, of all the things I had expected during my fitting, a partial lesson wasn’t one of them.

My driver/iron fitting was done by Nick. We started off with a quick warm up with an Epic Forged 8i / Steelfibre combo. After Nick was ready he watched as I hit a few, then swapped me into one of the new irons / Catalyst 60. Hit that, then a few with new iron /steel combo just as a comparison. Went back to the EF then the new iron with a Catalyst and determined that to be the one for me.

Went to driver and through a series of moving from a 9* to 10.5* and some minor shoulder and arm angles, came away with a 25 yard increase over my 9* XR16. Probably as much of my time with the driver was spent with Nick giving me a mini lesson as it did just hitting the ball.

Made a quick call on which Jaws wedges to go with and got everything down on the fitting sheet. That was immediately sent to the tour department so they could begin building my clubs to have ready for tomorrow.

Just before we left ECPC, Slinger approached me to let me know that they had run out of the specific irons I was fit into, so they were subbing those particular irons with something else for tomorrow, and would ship those out of stock irons after they come in. So, will have Epic Forged irons (7i-AW) in play tomorrow (and take home) and then 2020 irons sent later. Not too shabby.

That’s an awesome service there! Going out of the way to get you sorted for tomorrow and two sets of fantastic clubs! Kudos for that!

What a great follow! So hard to catch up with life (and golf - ?) getting in the way! You guys are killing it with the updates, each and every one of you! Have fun at Al’s tonight!

Hi guys....first time long time. 3 questions here:

- Do you think the driver you hit today would benefit someone like me? I like to hit it long & straight & don’t like to sacrifice either or.

- Not really a question but if someone drinks enough tonight & happens to grab Al for a 1-2 minute video interview I wouldn’t be disappointed!

- Last question.....You having a good time yet?

I’ll hang up & listen. ?

Hot damn, TWO sets of irons from the Granddaddy! That's awesome.

0BB9CF59-CD08-4E18-9314-2F5E0FD4B806.jpeg
Still going strong! The bus ride is legit!

All the Callway crew is so great and open with us!

- Do you think the driver you hit today would benefit someone like me? I like to hit it long & straight & don’t like to sacrifice either or.

I’ll hang up & listen. ?

Talk to @NoShanks or @radiman. They have some “BigTime” distance.

Hot damn, TWO sets of irons from the Granddaddy! That's awesome.

That being said, it’s “only” 7i-AW. ;)

- Not really a question but if someone drinks enough tonight & happens to grab Al for a 1-2 minute video interview I wouldn’t be disappointed!

I’ll hang up & listen. ?

absolutely. You will benefit from this lineup. I was getting more ball speed than my gamer which is ping g400 max that even the epic could not dethrone it

So much greatness happens at this event that it can be easy to overlook incredible acts of generosity. I'm bolding the above so this doesn't get lost. Someone is getting 2 sets of irons merely because the set he was fit into isn't available the rest of the weekend. Insane.
That's just insane!!!!

Fitting info:

A driver. 9 degrees with a ventus red 7x. First recommended an inch of tipping.

A 3 wood. Also with a ventus red tipped an inch.

In the 3ut slot, I went with the Epic Forged 4 iron with KBS 95x graphite.

Irons. 2 up, half inch over standard. $ Taper 130X. They had to audible the shaft to the PX LZ 125X which is fine by me. I've had really good luck with them in the past.

Wedges. Nothing crazy. Standard lie. $ Taper 130x. Probably also audibled to the PX LZ.

The putter was the number 10. First time I saw it in person. Looks better than I thought it would. 1 degree flat 34.5" per Luke's recommendation.

I'm not going to lie. I was super nervous during the fitting process. I was in my own head. My path lately was 4 in to out. Today, it was 4 out to in. But, my fitter, Nick, he has me figured out. I fully expect things to normalize when I'm not at the amazing ECPC with a bunch of people around. Will be loose and I'm better game shape tomorrow.

Callaway obviously cares. Totally fan girling on my couch tonight...wishing I was there. Thanks for taking is along.

that’s really great - I had Nick as well and he gave me a few things to work on for hitting fairway woods during my fitting. Didn’t take initially but as I’ve worked on it this year I’ve been hitting the fairway better than I ever have.

sounds like you’re in a great spot!

Just caught up on all 67 pages. My god this event is beyond amazing. Great job with all the updates and can’t wait for the golf competition portion. Good luck!

Fun Fact: I just learned the worst beat down in Grandaddy history is @JasonFinleyCG skull dragging @JDax 8&6!

I knew it was bad but I didn’t know it was historically bad!

Also really happy Slinger gets to enjoy the bus ride out there this year - he’s earned it after hoofing the clubs out to the dessert for team THP in recent years.

I was thinking earlier that I should be studying and doing modules for my PHR prep class, but then I remembered again, it's Grandaddy week! I'll catch up this weekend! Haha

Other than shaft weight, flex and length is there any difference between Callaway men's clubs and women's clubs?

This day always blows me away.
Being fitted like a pro into clubs we won't see for awhile. The information shared with you guys and attention to detail is insane.
Then the busride to Heaven.
And then you get to wake up tomorrow and be amazed again.
The crew from Callaway is on point all week and the generosity keeps flowing.
Enjoy all of it and have a blast! MANY MANY THPers very jealous of your experience.
I'm still buried in snow and can't wait to see pics of the courses.

Fun Fact: I just learned the worst beat down in Grandaddy history is @JasonFinleyCG skull dragging @JDax 8&6!

I knew it was bad but I didn’t know it was historically bad!

Yeah I pushed a 4 footer on 12 to extend the match...

Back