First Look: Cobra Golf T-Rail Irons

Grabbed a few pics between the T-Rail 6i and my Cleveland Altitude 6.

Trail has a thinner topline.
Trail has a slightly higher toe.
Trail has a thinner sole. At its widest part the Trail sole is 1 5/16” and the Altitude 1 9/16”.

T-Rail to end of grip is 37 3/4” so Cobra must measure to the end of the grip because that is the spec length. My Altitude is - 1/2” and measures 37 3/4”.
Swing weights: Altitude D1 (stock shaft) T-Rail D2.5 (Modus 105R with Tour Velvet std size grip).

A790A6CF-7186-4A3B-90B1-682493615A3F.jpeg42F12319-0C50-4E14-84AE-D722FFE4561B.jpeg73D3A013-C681-4517-BAF6-BDD17BEE48B0.jpeg

Got my first round in, short course by my house with which I’m very familiar. Will try to get some additional thoughts in later as I’m running late for an appointment.

First thing is just how easy these things launch. I’ve never hit 5 irons like this. Even misshits launch fine. It’s probably a staple in hybrid irons, but seeing that extra height was a different sight for me. Love, love the longer irons.

8896A7F4-742C-4EE9-9633-F4AAE326922A.jpeg

Second, these produce a substantial amount of spin. We hear about strong lofts, heck I’m usually the biggest loft peeper out there. With these they may have even been able to strengthen them further. In very soft conditions I was able to spin a foot back a 5i approach. That’s a first for me. Pitching wedge shots, even one that was slightly missed, stopped instantly.

Running late- will try and log back in though. Btw, erock - that Modus 105 in these sounds like a great combo. Would have liked an Elevate 95 or the DG 105 that are in my G410. Probably should have even gone up a flex in the Kbs 90.

Last edited:
Got my first round in, short course by my house with which I’m very familiar. Will try to get some additional thoughts in later as I’m running late for an appointment.

First thing is just how easy these things launch. I’ve never hit 5 irons like this. Even misshits launch fine. It’s probably a staple in hybrid irons, but seeing that extra height was a different sight for me. Love, love the longer irons.

View attachment 8920049

Second, these produce a substantial amount of spin. We hear about strong lofts, heck I’m usually the biggest loft peeper out there. With these they may have even been able to strengthen them further. In very soft conditions I was able to spin a foot back a 5i approach. That’s a first for me. Pitching wedge shots, even one that was slightly missed, stopped instantly.

Running late- will try and log back in though. Btw, erock - that Modus 105 in these sounds like a great combo. Would have liked an Elevate 95 or the DG 105 that are in my G410. Probably should have even gone up a flex in the Kbs 90.

Thanks for your feedback on these irons.

Ok, a couple more thoughts. My ball striking was pretty awful, so that played a major role. Low and low toe strikes were surprisingly good. Hit two greens off fairly miserable strikes with the 8 and 9i, both of which left me decent birdie looks.

In soft and muddy conditions, one terrible swing resulted in a strike high and way out off the toe. Don’t think any club could have saved me there, and these didn’t either.

In general, found them to draw a little more most irons in my hands. Very soft draws, playable ball flight, tons of height and stopping power.

sound- higher pitch, particularly with toe misses. Did button perfectly a wedge and it was quieter. Solid.

Won’t quite get that feeling of barely making contact on a center strike. The T-rail are powerful feeling throughout the set. As with most anything, finding the middle will lead to improved feel. I don’t mind it tbh - I think the sound are feel are pretty much what are to be expected in a GI or SGI profile

Distance - as to be expected. Because of how well they spin in my hands, think these could be a little shorter than other sgi that are more about top distance and less control. I did come up surprisingly short with wedges, and need a little more time before I can comment on that. The wind was different than what I’m used to which may have played a part.

Wanted to share some info.

I had a chance to try my T-Rail 6i with Modus 105R Friday on the course. I haven't played in nearly 2 months (weather) and also been struggling with some rotator cuff soreness as well as a bout of the sh*nks last month.

On the first tee it's a short par 4. I normally hit driver but they had the tee box shifted over to the side so being on a weird angle I hit the T-Rail. First swing on it I hit it right in the middle of the fairway. I was too lazy to charge my Game Golf unit but I would say I hit it around 155-160 which is long for me and a 6i. Left me a wedge in and easy par.

Next hole is a par 3 over a trap. Playing 152 to the hole. I hit the T-Rail just short of pin high for a GIR. Easy 2 putt par.

5th hole is a short uphill par 4. It was 160 to the ropes where the fairway ends and I hit the T-Rail about a foot in front of the ropes in the middle. Couldn't have walked it out there and placed it any better.

8th hole is a par 3 downhill playing about 150 with the slope figured in. Hit the T-Rail but didn't quite catch it. It went slightly right and just in front of the green. Easy chip and a putt for a par save.

Last time I hit it was on #13. Slight downhill par 3. It was playing 160 to the pin. Pin was on the right side and back. Trap on the right side so I aimed for the middle of the green and it faded back slightly and left me 15' which I made for the bird. I never fade the ball with my irons so this was a new flight for me, but it was a tiny baby fade. Nothing to be concerned with.

Given the 6i is where I start my irons, I am usually hit and miss on whether or not a 6i performs for me.
So far my Altitude 6i has been the best performing 6i I've tried ever and I have compared it to a decent amount of 6i that I have bought over the years (Ping G700, Ping G, Ping Gmax, Tour Edge HL3 Ironwood, HL4 ironwood, HL4, and I am sure some others I can't think of right now).

It was only one round but I really liked what I saw from the T-Rail.

Before commiting though I need to hit it off the turf. Unfortunately during my round I only had a chance to hit it off the tee and we were grouped with some guys on a crowded course so I couldn't drop a ball to hit a test shot.

What I noticed about the flight is, the ball gets up effortlessly and it seems to have less draw than my Altitude 6i. It was odd like the ball wanted to autocorrect itself in the air.
Looked like it wanted to draw but then would straighten out. I thought this was only a fluke on the first one I hit but they all seemed to do that. So the dispersion is really tight on this combo.

Wanted to share some info.

I had a chance to try my T-Rail 6i with Modus 105R Friday on the course. I haven't played in nearly 2 months (weather) and also been struggling with some rotator cuff soreness as well as a bout of the sh*nks last month.

On the first tee it's a short par 4. I normally hit driver but they had the tee box shifted over to the side so being on a weird angle I hit the T-Rail. First swing on it I hit it right in the middle of the fairway. I was too lazy to charge my Game Golf unit but I would say I hit it around 155-160 which is long for me and a 6i. Left me a wedge in and easy par.

Next hole is a par 3 over a trap. Playing 152 to the hole. I hit the T-Rail just short of pin high for a GIR. Easy 2 putt par.

5th hole is a short uphill par 4. It was 160 to the ropes where the fairway ends and I hit the T-Rail about a foot in front of the ropes in the middle. Couldn't have walked it out there and placed it any better.

8th hole is a par 3 downhill playing about 150 with the slope figured in. Hit the T-Rail but didn't quite catch it. It went slightly right and just in front of the green. Easy chip and a putt for a par save.

Last time I hit it was on #13. Slight downhill par 3. It was playing 160 to the pin. Pin was on the right side and back. Trap on the right side so I aimed for the middle of the green and it faded back slightly and left me 15' which I made for the bird. I never fade the ball with my irons so this was a new flight for me, but it was a tiny baby fade. Nothing to be concerned with.

Given the 6i is where I start my irons, I am usually hit and miss on whether or not a 6i performs for me.
So far my Altitude 6i has been the best performing 6i I've tried ever and I have compared it to a decent amount of 6i that I have bought over the years (Ping G700, Ping G, Ping Gmax, Tour Edge HL3 Ironwood, HL4 ironwood, HL4, and I am sure some others I can't think of right now).

It was only one round but I really liked what I saw from the T-Rail.

Before commiting though I need to hit it off the turf. Unfortunately during my round I only had a chance to hit it off the tee and we were grouped with some guys on a crowded course so I couldn't drop a ball to hit a test shot.

What I noticed about the flight is, the ball gets up effortlessly and it seems to have less draw than my Altitude 6i. It was odd like the ball wanted to autocorrect itself in the air.
Looked like it wanted to draw but then would straighten out. I thought this was only a fluke on the first one I hit but they all seemed to do that. So the dispersion is really tight on this combo.

Thanks for the Feedback. I was just looking at Cobras site and saw these and was then instantly came here to see if anyone had tried them.

These look great. Just getting overshadowed by the Speedzone and Forged Tec releases!

I swung a T Rail 7 iron and PW in graphite yesterday. Didn’t like them in the graphite.
When I go back for my Cobra fitting in a couple weeks I’m going to try the T Rail with steel shafts. Keeping an open mind.

I'm curious why these aren't offered in one length. My guess is a weighting issue.

Course by my house has been rained out, closed for just about all January. Going to drive south today to a FIRM & windy course I play once or twice a year. T-Rails will be in the bag. Let me know if there is anything you’d like to read about.

I think these are a bit unique in that hybrid iron space. If you’ve put off the segment because you struggle with hybrids (like I do), these are certainly worthy of testing.

I did get to look at these the other day at my local golf store. They look good, don't get me wrong. They just have more than what I'm used to seeing, from a junk in the trunk standpoint. But will the visual of the club get in the way of the visual of seeing a ball fly far, high and straight? That's the question I'd be asking myself. I didn't get to hit them, so I only have the first visual, but I've heard more than a few here say how much fun they are to hit. These comments were made by all kinds of players as well, so I wouldn't discount these before I hit them!

I swung a T Rail 7 iron and PW in graphite yesterday. Didn’t like them in the graphite.
When I go back for my Cobra fitting in a couple weeks I’m going to try the T Rail with steel shafts. Keeping an open mind.

I had the same issue with the graphite. I think 50g is too light for an iron shaft. I was much more consistent in the 90-110g shaft range.

Seems like the one length could be a custom option on any set of clubs.

I had the same issue with the graphite. I think 50g is too light for an iron shaft. I was much more consistent in the 90-110g shaft range.

I definitely felt that it was way too light. I haven't given up on them as I will try a different shaft. But, I also hit the new Speedzone Irons and they were very, very good.

I definitely felt that it was way too light. I haven't given up on them as I will try a different shaft. But, I also hit the new Speedzone Irons and they were very, very good.

Hit the SZ 7i Wednesday. Not a bad club. then took out my T-Rail 6i and hit it even higher.

For not having practiced hardly this month, scored well today. Driver and wedges helped their share, but the irons held their own as well.

Pros:

The long irons....man the 5i is good for me. Rather than getting greedy on par 5s, reached for the 5i for position. Misshit a couple low on the face and was barely penalized. Well struck they got up in the air effortlessly.

Toe side forgiveness- it isn’t typical for me to miss 8 irons this far off the toe and have makeable birdie putts. It’s happened twice now each of the two rounds these have been in play. Good, high ball flight and good spin retention on those misses. Very impressive.

Struck an 8i a touch heavy from a packed fairway bunker. Hop and stop on the green. The rails work, unless you’re striking way fat, which I also did out of another one and paid the expected price.

Cons-
This is completely personal and may be shaft related, but short irons are more affected by wind than other clubs I’m accustomed to. Hit a GW that climbed up like crazy and just dropped straight down a few yards short to what I expected.

I wound up adjusting and taking an extra club, making shorter swings and found a lot of success with 9i and PW rather than the usual Gap wedge I would use. I consider myself to, for my HC, be a decent wind player. Had no problems adjusting but the short irons may not be for everyone. I have hit the F line before and find these long irons to be easier to hit, but a little shorter in comparison. A bit more control though.

Last edited:
I hit my 6i again today. I just can’t get over how well it’s working out. Launch And ease of use, dare I say it, might be easier than my beloved Altitude 6i. Both are 27*.

I haven’t bagged or even tried a 5i in years and contemplating ordering one. Thinking 100g steel might be to heavy in that slot so if I order one it will be a Recoil 780 Smacwrap F3 which is around 85g. Might be a nice bridge to my 4h which is 62g.

For not having practiced hardly this month, scored well today. Driver and wedges helped their share, but the irons held their own as well.

Pros:

The long irons....man the 5i is good for me. Rather than getting greedy on par 5s, reached for the 5i for position. Misshit a couple low on the face and was barely penalized. Well struck they got up in the air effortlessly.

Toe side forgiveness- it isn’t typical for me to miss 8 irons this far off the toe and have makeable birdie putts. It’s happened twice now each of the two rounds these have been in play. Good, high ball flight and good spin retention on those misses. Very impressive.

Struck an 8i a touch heavy from a packed fairway bunker. Hop and stop on the green. The rails work, unless you’re striking way fat, which I also did out of another one and paid the expected price.

Cons-
This is completely personal and may be shaft related, but short irons are more affected by wind than other clubs I’m accustomed to. Hit a GW that climbed up like crazy and just dropped straight down a few yards short to what I expected.

I wound up adjusting and taking an extra club, making shorter swings and found a lot of success with 9i and PW rather than the usual Gap wedge I would use. I consider myself to, for my HC, be a decent wind player. Had no problems adjusting but the short irons may not be for everyone. I have hit the F line before and find these long irons to be easier to hit, but a little shorter in comparison. A bit more control though.

Thanks for the feedback. These are definitely still on my radar. I just have shaft questions. The graphite that I hit wasn’t good for me. It was the stock 50. It was way too light. I still would like graphite if possible. I’m still intrigued by the easy to launch factor.

I hit my 6i again today. I just can’t get over how well it’s working out. Launch And ease of use, dare I say it, might be easier than my beloved Altitude 6i. Both are 27*.

I haven’t bagged or even tried a 5i in years and contemplating ordering one. Thinking 100g steel might be to heavy in that slot so if I order one it will be a Recoil 780 Smacwrap F3 which is around 85g. Might be a nice bridge to my 4h which is 62g.
I love my Recoils they really are great shafts. Hope they work out for you.

Thanks for the feedback. These are definitely still on my radar. I just have shaft questions. The graphite that I hit wasn’t good for me. It was the stock 50. It was way too light. I still would like graphite if possible. I’m still intrigued by the easy to launch factor.

On the cobra site there are other graphite options:
Fuji Atmos 6 +$6 per iron
Recoil 460 ESX +$12
Recoil 780ES Smacwrap +$12
Recoil 95 +$36
Steelfiber + $45

Probably even more options through a fitter

On the cobra site there are other graphite options:
Fuji Atmos 6 +$6 per iron
Recoil 460 ESX +$12
Recoil 780ES Smacwrap +$12
Recoil 95 +$36
Steelfiber + $45

Probably even more options through a fitter

Thanks. I’ll be going through the Morgan Cup, so I’ll have to see what’s available. I’m thinking the T Rails are going to be good for me. I want graphite though and the stock 50 was too light and too whippy.

I've been traveling for work a bit and haven't been online much lately but I got a little time in on my sim this weekend with the T-rail exclusively (7i). I am impressed. I've never been a long hitter, except occasionally back in when I first started golfing and thought I was supposed to swing out of my shoes with every club, and only then when I would randomly catch one flush, rarely.

At any rate, last year a well struck F7 (one length, though on the 7i that really doesn't come into play) I was anywhere from 130ish to 135ish carry maxing out around 20 yards peak height. The T-rail was 140-150 with my unofficial average (I didn't save the session, a buddy and I were both switching in and out and he was hitting other clubs) at 142ish. That's the number I remember seeing a lot of with a couple over 150 and some short ones as well. I did see one over 170 but I have to believe that was a misread by the skytrak, I doubt I've ever hit a 7 that far. Peak height was creeping up to high 20's, with a few into the very low 30's which probably accounts for the added distance. I don't remember what my spin looked like so no comment on that.

I've been happy with how easy it seems to be to hit this and it seems to be a bit more consistent for me as well. Once I get a chance to take it outside I think I may need to go get fit for a set.

I've been traveling for work a bit and haven't been online much lately but I got a little time in on my sim this weekend with the T-rail exclusively (7i). I am impressed. I've never been a long hitter, except occasionally back in when I first started golfing and thought I was supposed to swing out of my shoes with every club, and only then when I would randomly catch one flush, rarely.

At any rate, last year a well struck F7 (one length, though on the 7i that really doesn't come into play) I was anywhere from 130ish to 135ish carry maxing out around 20 yards peak height. The T-rail was 140-150 with my unofficial average (I didn't save the session, a buddy and I were both switching in and out and he was hitting other clubs) at 142ish. That's the number I remember seeing a lot of with a couple over 150 and some short ones as well. I did see one over 170 but I have to believe that was a misread by the skytrak, I doubt I've ever hit a 7 that far. Peak height was creeping up to high 20's, with a few into the very low 30's which probably accounts for the added distance. I don't remember what my spin looked like so no comment on that.

I've been happy with how easy it seems to be to hit this and it seems to be a bit more consistent for me as well. Once I get a chance to take it outside I think I may need to go get fit for a set.

I know that your experience is from SkyTrak, but I can completely see those numbers being accurate. Golfers that could benefit from a higher peak and would like some forgiveness should consider the TRails. Great feedback man.

fwiw, from the feel department I prefer these over the G410.

Last edited:
Back