Im actually looking into this.... My laptop is getting on in years and instead of replacing it with another lap top, Im wondering about going the Ipad pro route..... It just seems it would fit my uses a lot more than a laptop at this time.

My macbook pro is slowing down pretty aggressively. If I am at the house on a computer, it's the desktop monster in my office. Dropping another 1k+ for a laptop I'll really only use when traveling is a hard sell for me.

Thinking about trying to navigate more towards my iPad but I want to acquire a good keyboard so it's got some of the same aspects that a laptop would have in terms of communication (touching giant screen = may as well be on my phone). Wife has a keyboard extension for hers but I feel like it's almost too compact to type comfortably on. Maybe one of those things that just takes time to get used to the width.

Do you guys use an external keyboard on your iPad's? If so, which one?

It is interesting that this topic popped up. I was sitting amazed just the other day how far Ipads and Iphones have come at being able to replace computers. There is so much you can do on them now.

My macbook pro is slowing down pretty aggressively. If I am at the house on a computer, it's the desktop monster in my office. Dropping another 1k+ for a laptop I'll really only use when traveling is a hard sell for me.

Thinking about trying to navigate more towards my iPad but I want to acquire a good keyboard so it's got some of the same aspects that a laptop would have in terms of communication (touching giant screen = may as well be on my phone). Wife has a keyboard extension for hers but I feel like it's almost too compact to type comfortably on. Maybe one of those things that just takes time to get used to the width.

I believe any bluetooth keyboard would work on an iPad.

Yes I do. Used the Apple one for about a year, but its not great. Switched to the Logitech Slim Folio and really like it.

Right now I’m using a Logitech something or other. I like it quite a bit, pretty easy to type on, at least for my typing skills that max out around 50 words/minute. It’s close enough that I can hit predictive words as they pop up if I’m not sure about the spelling. Overall it’s pretty comfortable and definitely works well for what I do with it. I don’t do much with excel on my iPad so I don’t really miss having a number pad on the right.

A9ABC272-3774-49A8-8BE2-762E2CDBAE76.jpeg18A6DE27-D483-4A98-B677-2F4401483CFA.jpeg

two votes for Logi.

That's some pretty good odds right there.

FWIW, that is the same case I use.
It's also the same case Morgan uses.
I am on an iPad Pro she is on an iPad Air. Hers never has to be charged and the battery runs for 3 years.
Mine is chargeable and runs for they say 3 months, I got a little less.

FWIW, that is the same case I use.
It's also the same case Morgan uses.
I am on an iPad Pro she is on an iPad Air. Hers never has to be charged and the battery runs for 3 years.
Mine is chargeable and runs for they say 3 months, I got a little less.
Apparently there are no cases available for my ancient iPad pro 9.7 inch haha! BEST BUY TRIP YASSSS!!!

1578064396713.png

I haven’t paid much attention to the pencil, but does it have a copy/paste tap sequence?

Yeah, it essentially works like it was selecting with your finger, but it's not particularly precise. It's fine when using something like Word, or Notes, where you're just writing paragraphs but text selection in something like Safari or a PDF just goes haywire sometimes. That's more of an issue with poorly-formatted websites and that kind of thing, but just made a bit more annoying on the iPad than a "normal" computer.

I am breaking in a new ASUS laptop, it is so nice to have a keyboard that works again. The DELL XPS 13 did not hold up as well as hoped, but then again it traveled 1,000's of miles and got banged around quite a bit.

Just bought the K480 that my guy @dazeedmonds has been talking about. For 30 bucks it was worth taking a chance on.

What I need to figure out is two-fold.
1- Do I tolerate a keyboard without a palm rest
2- Does this replace my needs for a laptop when i travel

It's really nice to have at the ready for texts and etc. If I am at my desk and get a message, I am way more likely to respond with keyboard typing vs thumb tapping haha.

Just bought the K480 that my guy @dazeedmonds has been talking about. For 30 bucks it was worth taking a chance on.

What I need to figure out is two-fold.
1- Do I tolerate a keyboard without a palm rest
2- Does this replace my needs for a laptop when i travel

It's really nice to have at the ready for texts and etc. If I am at my desk and get a message, I am way more likely to respond with keyboard typing vs thumb tapping haha.

1) is hard to know until you try it.

2) is going to depend on a lot of things.

I have to say, I like THPing on my iPad a heck of a lot more than I thought I would, especially with an external keyboard.

I think I like landscape mode on safari and portrait on chrome.

I use a Logi keyboard and it works fine for my needs, which are mostly emails, social media and this forum.

I use a Logi keyboard and it works fine for my needs, which are mostly emails, social media and this forum.
On the iPad?

I think this will be a multi purchase solution. I’m going to end up with this thing and a combo case/stand/keyboard I think.

Either way, THPing on the iPad is like easy mode.

On the iPad?

I think this will be a multi purchase solution. I’m going to end up with this thing and a combo case/stand/keyboard I think.

Its fantastic.

On the iPad?

Yes, on the iPad. People joke that my iPad should be attached to my arm. I use it for note taking in work meetings. It is ALL I use for posting on THP, and without it, I am sure my post count would be down dramatically. I just don’t like a phone for typing more than a short text, yet the iPad is still small enough to go around with me during the day.

Yes, on the iPad. People joke that my iPad should be attached to my arm. I use it for note taking in work meetings. It is ALL I use for posting on THP, and without it, I am sure my post count would be down dramatically. I just don’t like a phone for typing more than a short text, yet the iPad is still small enough to go around with me during the day.
I’ve spent about an hour on THP with an iPad with an external keyboard and now there is no chance I’m buying another laptop because I definitely do not need one.

So glad I started looking into this last week.

Can you use swipe text entry on the iPad yet?

Not on mine, but mine is a couple generations old. Maybe on the newer ones, but it is moot for me, because I always use my external keyboard.

Yes. You have to undock the keyboard though and use the small keyboard

Back