Is Tiger Woods The G. O. A. T.

Yes. He transformed the game of golf in the modern era, his domination will never be matched.

If he never wins again hes still the GOAT

One of the stats that I don’t think gets brought up very often is that Tiger won 9 Vardon trophies, the best scoring average for the year. Jack didn’t win it a once. He also won 2 more money list titles than jack.

I am Tiger guy and that may be because I am young but I think he is the GOAT.
When Jack played the qualifying for the trophy was 80 rounds which Jack hardly ever played per season, he played very little really. In the Tiger era the qualifier is 60 rounds. That matters.

Yes. He transformed the game of golf in the modern era, his domination will never be matched.

If he never wins again hes still the GOAT
To be fair, they said the exact same things about Jack.

To be fair, they said the exact same things about Jack.

James, you certainly know more about golf than I, but I thought there was a stretch in TWs prime where he won at some absurd rate that will never be matched th anyone.

I was more referring to the way he dominated, but again, could be off base

James, you certainly know more about golf than I, but I thought there was a stretch in TWs prime where he won at some absurd rate that will never be matched th anyone.

I was more referring to the way he dominated, but again, could be off base
Reality is it’s an impossible question to answer.

Jack was dominant. Tiger was dominant. I do think the Tiger golf ball move matters in his story when it happened before others would admit it was time to adapt, but wins are wins.

They’re 1a and 1aa imo for GOAT. But there’s only one King.

Bottom line is if Tiger gets to 18 he will be the Co-Goat if he gets to 19 he will be the GOAT

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

I think it is hard to argue against him as he played when talent was better, imo.

I think it is hard to argue against him as he played when talent was better, imo.
Better overall to the bottom, I’d agree.

Is also say the best at the top were better when Jack played.
:p

I wonder though, how would we compare? I surely enjoyed watching golf more back then when I knew everyone, but scores are much better now, aren't they?

I wonder though, how would we compare? I surely enjoyed watching golf more back then when I knew everyone, but scores are much better now, aren't they?
We can’t and never will be able to, but it’s definitely always a fun argument haha

Even if he never sets foot on a course again, I think he still had to be considered the greatest of all time. It’s not even so much about the records and such. It’s more about how he influenced the game and a whole new generation of players.
hard to disagree with this, however jack has also had the same impact and in a classier way. But im too young to remember Jack so Tiger for me.

hard to disagree with this, however jack has also had the same impact and in a classier way. But im too young to remember Jack so Tiger for me.
But if that’s the main argument then you have to put Arnie in, because it can be argued he changed the game for ALL future generations of professionals as to what golf could be, yes, more so than Jack. Jack benefitted from Arnie too.

But if that’s the main argument then you have to put Arnie in, because it can be argued he changed the game for ALL future generations of professionals as to what golf could be, yes, more so than Jack. Jack benefitted from Arnie too.
Very true and I was thinking that as I wrote my reply as Arnies influence is arguably just as strong now after his passing. However, i still think tiger

Very true and I was thinking that as I wrote my reply as Arnies influence is arguably just as strong now after his passing. However, i still think tiger
This is why I looooooove this convo though, we HAVE to go in circles and we are all right and wrong.

Without Arnie, the tour might not even make it to see a Tiger.

This is why I looooooove this convo though, we HAVE to go in circles and we are all right and wrong.

Hahaha that’s some Bill & Ted stuff right there! Very true.

He changed how golf is viewed and brought golf to entirely different level. The competition now, I believe, is much better throughout the PGA then back when Jack was playing.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So true. I agree with you completely. Fields today are deeper but Jack didn’t exactly beat a bunch of hackers in his more than 70 tour wins and 18 majors. People who allege that Jack didn’t face the same level of competition are mistaken.

I’m new to the game. Only took it up 3 years ago. With that said, I had heard of Jack and Tiger but have no first hand knowledge of their games. I do have an understanding that they were both equally important to the game while they played in the sense that both inspired people to play the game and to be better. From my point of view, one was much classier than the other. ?‍♂️

IMO yes it is Tiger. The ones that came before him laid the foundation and he built it up.

Personally though, I really think Bobby Jones has to enter the conversation, he was the greatest to never turn pro. He is the only one to ever win the Grand slam in a single year. Yes others have the Grand slam but not all in the same year.

I think people may not realize the complete effect that Arnie has on golf’s popularity not only as far as playing but also for tv.

Nicklaus.jpg

Jack Nicklaus is G.O.A.T.
If Tiger wants that label he needs to win 4 more Majors.

If we go off majors the Jack fans will scream no, but imo Tiger is the best. He has transformed the game for golfers and moves the needle like no other.

One of the stats that I don’t think gets brought up very often is that Tiger won 9 Vardon trophies, the best scoring average for the year. Jack didn’t win it a once. He also won 2 more money list titles than jack.

I am Tiger guy and that may be because I am young but I think he is the GOAT.

Agree, also factor in Us Ams and Tiger has one more than Jack so the “Major” argument puts the Big Cat only one back with still plenty of time to play.

Back