Stupid easy to setup free account and you wont even know you are using it.
Pics taken from phone, appear on iPad.
Wife uses it for Cal photos.. How’s the storage without paying extra?

SO I’ve had this one about a year now. The keys are not mushy by any means, and almost remind me of a mechanical keyboard, which is something I like. That being said.....I can use almost any keyboard without it bothering me too much. Except the surface’s keyboard. I need some kind of key travel.

I do think the keys will loosen up some as you use the keyboard.

Also, don’t forget to pair your phone to the keyboard. Read a text on the watch, open the phone reply from the keyboard.
(y)
Awesome! Thanks!
I’ve definitely got the Apple trifecta of mobile devices... watch, phone and tablet so having comparability to sync to different devices is a plus. Sadly though, my old iPad isn’t compatible with the new forum app so it might be back to the drawing board for me.

Its fine for what you will do most likely. Hell you could set it up to use Google Photos if you want and its free I believe.

Stupid easy to setup free account and you wont even know you are using it.
Pics taken from phone, appear on iPad.
Absolutely, this! And in case of damage to a device, anything you have saved on the cloud can be transferred directly to the replacement.

Awesome! Thanks!
I’ve definitely got the Apple trifecta of mobile devices... watch, phone and tablet so having comparability to sync to different devices is a plus. Sadly though, my old iPad isn’t compatible with the new forum app so it might be back to the drawing board for me.

just use safari. That’s really what the mobile app uses at its core I believe.

Dan you might check out Office 365 if you use Microsoft stuff at all.

Dan you might check out Office 365 if you use Microsoft stuff at all.
I'll check it out man, thanks!

Messing around with a new app I got today, it's super easy to just send pics from my phone to my iPad which might be the best solution for me.

So after a week with the pro, I’m pretty solidly impressed. Battery life is ok so far, it’s not an all day batter which is a little disappointing, but it gets me through a typical use day. I can a get in to my VM for work, but the mouse support is really really bad at this point, so that’s a bit iffy for long term use. But my day-to-day with it has been great so far. Browsing and doing what I’d normally do on my personal machine is fantastic.

I’ve been using it to take notes in meetings where I can’t bring my laptop (team stuff where we’re supposed to stay focused on the meeting and not answering emails) and that’s worked out very well.

As a true laptop replacement....I’m not sure it’s there for everyone yet. I think most people that are looking for a media consumption device, or a basic browser would be fine, but the price point is pretty high for a casual user. So like most of these kinds of decisions, it’s going to be a personal choice. I’m happy with it for what I use it for, but that’s just me.

So after a week with the pro, I’m pretty solidly impressed. Battery life is ok so far, it’s not an all day batter which is a little disappointing, but it gets me through a typical use day. I can a get in to my VM for work, but the mouse support is really really bad at this point, so that’s a bit iffy for long term use. But my day-to-day with it has been great so far. Browsing and doing what I’d normally do on my personal machine is fantastic.

I’ve been using it to take notes in meetings where I can’t bring my laptop (team stuff where we’re supposed to stay focused on the meeting and not answering emails) and that’s worked out very well.

As a true laptop replacement....I’m not sure it’s there for everyone yet. I think most people that are looking for a media consumption device, or a basic browser would be fine, but the price point is pretty high for a casual user. So like most of these kinds of decisions, it’s going to be a personal choice. I’m happy with it for what I use it for, but that’s just me.

The battery life should get a little bit better over time. If you've got a photo library on there, Apple does all of their machine learning stuff on-device so it needs to do a bunch of number crunching the first week or so.

My use case is about the same as yours - I use it for reference, note-taking, and some photo editing. It can't replace my laptop for a lot of what I do, because I'm often moving a lot of text around. This is especially true of the 11", which is what I have, because multitasking is limited as compared to the 12.9" in terms of space.

What are you using for note taking? Just Apple Notes?

The battery life should get a little bit better over time. If you've got a photo library on there, Apple does all of their machine learning stuff on-device so it needs to do a bunch of number crunching the first week or so.

My use case is about the same as yours - I use it for reference, note-taking, and some photo editing. It can't replace my laptop for a lot of what I do, because I'm often moving a lot of text around. This is especially true of the 11", which is what I have, because multitasking is limited as compared to the 12.9" in terms of space.

What are you using for note taking? Just Apple Notes?

im using notability. I’ve used apple notes some though.

I’m trying to decide between Notability and GoodNotes
Notability is pretty decent. Haven’t spent a ton of time with it. It works though

I accidentally bought a 96w charger as a travel charger. I haven’t tried that yet but it seems to charge pretty quickly on the standard charger that came with it. Smaller version pro. I’ll let you know how the bigger charger works, once I put it in use next week.

Just wanted to check back in on this. I plugged my iPad (pro 11”) in with the larger charger at about 60% battery and was fully charged in about an hour while I was using it to read a kindle book. I thought that was pretty solid, I have no idea if that is noticeably faster than the stock charger or not.

Just wanted to check back in on this. I plugged my iPad (pro 11”) in with the larger charger at about 60% battery and was fully charged in about an hour while I was using it to read a kindle book. I thought that was pretty solid, I have no idea if that is noticeably faster than the stock charger or not.
yeah, it is. I think @mpeterson said the iPad will only pull like 30w, but even so it’ll charge faster using anything over 30w than the stock 18w charger.

One of my coworkers tipped me to something I didn’t know existed:

It’s a screen protector that is supposed to make using the pencil feel like you’re drawing/writing on paper. Mine came in today, and I’ll say that it works pretty well. It adds just enough friction that it doesn’t feel like the pencil is sliding all over the place. Tomorrow is all day team meetings at work, and no laptops allowed, so I’ll be spending a decent amount of time taking notes, and should have a pretty good feel for how well it works. I think it’s going to be pretty decent though.

Another huge improvement for anyone that uses Citrix on their ipads...just buy the Citrix mouse. It actually gives you a decent usable mouse while in the Citrix environment.

Funny I just saw this. Debating this exact topic for the classroom and education.

Which works best as an education tool?

I lean to the laptop due it’s power, but others want to lean iPad due to the apps available in the education world.

Funny I just saw this. Debating this exact topic for the classroom and education.

Which works best as an education tool?

I lean to the laptop due it’s power, but others want to lean iPad due to the apps available in the education world.

Depends on what you mean exactly. iPads for students are pretty easy to manage from an IT perspective, but Chromebooks are substantially cheaper, and from what I understand as easy or easier to manage.

It’s also going to depend on what you’re teaching, if you’re using something that requires a lot of horsepower (CAD, video production, animation) a laptop is probably a better choice, but if it’s just basics an iPad may work quite well, but then a Chromebook would also work pretty well.

There are a couple of pretty cool programming tools available for iOS but most of them are geared towards writing apps for...iOS.

I think like anything else, specific uses each have their best options.

Depends on what you mean exactly. iPads for students are pretty easy to manage from an IT perspective, but Chromebooks are substantially cheaper, and from what I understand as easy or easier to manage.

It’s also going to depend on what you’re teaching, if you’re using something that requires a lot of horsepower (CAD, video production, animation) a laptop is probably a better choice, but if it’s just basics an iPad may work quite well, but then a Chromebook would also work pretty well.

There are a couple of pretty cool programming tools available for iOS but most of them are geared towards writing apps for...iOS.

I think like anything else, specific uses each have their best options.

Chromebooks are out as we are an Apple school. The whole system is a slave to Apple at this point for our district. ?

Currently, a one to one school with MacBooks. But, could a step to iPads offer the same level with the apps available for teachers.

Chromebooks are out as we are an Apple school. The whole system is a slave to Apple at this point for our district. ?

Currently, a one to one school with MacBooks. But, could a step to iPads offer the same level with the apps available for teachers.

If you’re in the ecosystem, and don’t need the horsepower, iPads are a solid choice, and may have some added benefits. My specialty isn’t in education, so I haven’t followed that world, so I’m not sure if there’s a huge advantage beyond cost.

If you’re in the ecosystem, and don’t need the horsepower, iPads are a solid choice, and may have some added benefits. My specialty isn’t in education, so I haven’t followed that world, so I’m not sure if there’s a huge advantage beyond cost.

A lot of folks I know who started with iPads have moved to Chromebooks, especially when they don't have 1:1 - it's a lot easier to have multi-tenant systems with Chrome OS. You essentially have to wipe the device and reload it to switch an ipad between multiple people.

I used my Macbook pro for everything until I got an iPad. I rarely use the macbook now, except for photo/video editing (and only for high quality stuff), everything else can be done in ipad or even iphone these days.

I’m not sure I have ever remembered having a device that needs software updates as much as this iPad Pro does. I’m glad they continue support but it seems like almost weekly at this point.

I use tablets for a lot of my personal stuff these days.

there are time it is nice to get on a computer though.

I have a large ipad pro that i can do everything a laptop can do. Trevel is easy with it. There are things i break out the macbook for so i need them both. But i dont need a laptop with me all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random question, my macbook air is several years old and has had more than one issue. I pretty much use it only for web, movies/youtube but I do have to edit some documents on it.... all of those docks are saved on a thumb drive.... guessing there is no way to access this on an ipad?

Edit: never mind, just found that there are adaptors... hmm.

Random question, my macbook air is several years old and has had more than one issue. I pretty much use it only for web, movies/youtube but I do have to edit some documents on it.... all of those docks are saved on a thumb drive.... guessing there is no way to access this on an ipad?

If the drive plugs into your laptop, you can airdrop it to your iPad.

Back