First Look: Titleist T400 Irons

That’s the thing though. As long as it launches like a 5i...what else should you call it?

Will it though? Usually when company's increase the lofts they also increase the shaft lengths to match it.

I am not sure how a slower swinging person is going to be able to launch a 23* 6i that is only 37.50".
Usually once you get around 23* in an iron you are talking over 38".

FINALLY SOME LOVE FOR THE HIGH HDCPER FROM TITLEIST!
Right? Pretty exciting news there.
As someone that always wanted to play Titleist and never really having the game for previous Iron releases, I'd bag them in a minute.
Honestly brings a tear to my eye.... Someone finally listened.
I don't give a Rat's A$$ about the lofts - I just want some "Game" back that "Time" as taken away...

I thought that’s what the T300 was for.

I agree it is slightly confusing, but reading product descriptions it appears the T400 is designed for slower swingers, big emphasis on launching the ball high and far.

The T300 is slated as a " mid-sized face"

To me it seems like a GI vs SGI

That’s got to be the highest price on a SGI iron I’ve seen.

They did the T-MB's in the 716's. They have had a club like this for a long time.

Do you think launch characteristic is a made up term they use to justify their lofts though? Have you ever looked at a shot on the course and then chosen your club based on it's launch characteristic? Does anyone buy clubs based on their launch characteristic?

I chose a shot based on launch and landing all the time.

Now, that being said, that’s not often the case when I’m trying to hit a green from 150 yards. I do want a ball flight that’s going to stop when I expect it do. So if a 5i is supposed to fly fairly flat, and roll out 10‘....why would I care what the loft is? If i pick up a 5 iron and it flys very high and drops straight out of the sky that’s not what I want regardless of the loft of the club. So, yeah I think we do pick irons based on launch and flight.

I’m also in agreement that they probably should have called it an easy launching 3i and added a 10 or 11 iron instead of 12 pitching wedges. That’s just silly.

Holy crap on the lofts. I get it, and the physics behind it, but holy crap.

Isn't that the AP1 "replacement"? That's pretty firmly in the GI range.
It’s all confusing to me with the numbers changing.

That’s got to be the highest price on a SGI iron I’ve seen.
Paying for the name for sure on this one.
This is a set you don't "Flip"

PW, P43, P46, SW

For The Loft Stampers.

Check.

Will it though? Usually when company's increase the lofts they also increase the shaft lengths to match it.

I am not sure how a slower swinging person is going to be able to launch a 23* 6i that is only 37.50".
Usually once you get around 23* in an iron you are talking over 38".

That’s the beauty of getting fit right? I really have no clue if these will work, but Titleist seems to think they will.

It really surprises me to see Titleist of all companies do this, which kind of excites me. I always see Titleist as one of the most old school and traditional companies and I can't wait to watch the reactions of these lofts from that crowd.

They did the T-MB's in the 716's. They have had a club like this for a long time.

Do you think launch characteristic is a made up term they use to justify their lofts though? Have you ever looked at a shot on the course and then chosen your club based on it's launch characteristic? Does anyone buy clubs based on their launch characteristic?

Isn't this what essentially everyone who's buying through fitting is doing?

It really surprises me to see Titleist of all companies do this, which kind of excites me. I always see Titleist as one of the most old school and traditional companies and I can't wait to watch the reactions of these lofts from that crowd.

Wanna split a large popcorn?

I would like to see these in person to see how chunky they are but this could get a lot of guys to try Titliest that have stayed away in the past.

Lofts are (no comment) but going 6-p48 would be equivalent to most sets that are 4-pw. We need to get over what number is on the bottom of the clubs.

@Canadan are these the same lofts you'll be gaming at the MC this year?

I really like the move from Titleist. Will be accompanied nicely in a bag that already has the TS1 in it. Titleist has to broaden its reach, and this is a step in that direction.

As far as the lofts, I mean that's how the industry is moving. Personally I prefer the Mavrik Max to these but would recommend slower swingers test both and see what they prefer. Having to add additional wedges on the back end minimizes the benefit of having mid irons going farther. Not sure what it accomplishes for most golfers.

Also, extremely well-written piece Dean.

I really like the move from Titleist. Will be accompanied nicely in a bag that already has the TS1 in it. Titleist has to broaden its reach, and this is a step in that direction.

As far as the lofts, I mean that's how the industry is moving. Personally I prefer the Mavrik Max to these but would recommend slower swingers test both and see what they prefer. Having to add additional wedges on the back end minimizes the benefit of having mid irons going farther. Not sure what it accomplishes for most golfers.

I think there’s some marketing at play for sure. I think also there’s some engineering at play. I really really really wish they’d had the...guts, to just add a 10 and 11 iron.

I think there’s some marketing at play for sure. I think also there’s some engineering at play. I really really really wish they’d had the...guts, to just add a 10 and 11 iron.

If you're going to deloft to the point where you're adding two extra "pitching wedges" I think this is the right move. Honma does it, and I think some of the other Japanese makers do, and having played with a set like that it's much more straightforward. My AW stayed at 52 degrees, and there were just extra irons below.

I think its a great move by Titleist to reach more golfers. There are obviously very talented people working there that deliver great products.

If you're going to deloft to the point where you're adding two extra "pitching wedges" I think this is the right move. Honma does it, and I think some of the other Japanese makers do, and having played with a set like that it's much more straightforward. My AW stayed at 52 degrees, and there were just extra irons below.
I would so get behind that. It's a weird mental block, I know.

I would so get behind that. It's a weird mental block, I know.

I don’t honestly think it’s that weird. Set wedges have traditionally gone down to PW, then we added a gap wedge....and now like 4 wedges. Those aren’t really wedges. They’re distance clubs, and should probably be stamped that Way. Otherwise it’s just adding to the confusion.

I have absolutely no idea what I think of these. From a purely looks standpoint, I think they look good. I'm not sure I can wrap my head around 3 clubs that are called a PW?? That just seems odd to me. I don't care what they call them, but make them different.

Back