5 wood resurrection

GolfTravelDude

Team Hackers Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm reconfiguring my clubs. Moved away from the 5 wood about 15 years ago. Thinking it might be good to put it back in the bag. Any 5 wood lovers out there. It's either stay with a 3Hy or bring back the 5W. Thoughts?

I've absolutely loved playing my Flash 5 wood this last year. It's been a monster in the bag but has caused a gapping issue between it and my Apex UT. I hate to give it up but I need to fix that gap somehow. It was awesome off the tee and the fairway and rough.

I am going 5W for the first time at some point this year. I think it honestly depends on what you personally do better with and hybrids tend to be hit and miss with me.

Love my PIng G410 SFT 5 wood. It is easier to hit off the deck than my Epic Flash 3 wood.

5wood for life! :D

I;ve never liked the feel of the hybrid in my hands or the look at address. I feel much more comfortable hitting 5w.

I have a 5 wood. Might be the least used club in my bag but for those one possibly two times a round that I need it, it shines!

I am going to put a 5 wood in my bag for the first time in quite a few years. I have never been quite good with a hybrid so I am going to mix it up a bit.

I currently have a 17* (called 4 Wood) in my bag and absolutely love it. It's my go to off the tee when my Driver starts wandering or I definitely need to hit the fairway. I'm not in love with my hybrids, so looking forward to seeing if I end up going with another 4W or a 3W,5W and drop one of the hybrids. I just feel more comfortable with a FW in my hand, but some of the newer Hybrids seem to be bridging that gap so it'll be interesting to see how my fitting goes.

I go back & forth between my TS2 5W and 3I. It’s all weather/wind dependent but have no problem with the 5w in the bag, I just can’t flight it as well as the 3I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I moved to a stronger 7w loft to replace my 3H as my swingspeed dropped and it's a perfect replacement for me. My favorite longer club. Then I go to my 17.5 degree "5W" that I've put at the small minus and play from there at square, so it's now a 16.5°, basically a 4W with a 42.5 inch shaft.

I don't think its just a 5W vs 3H answer. Lofts and lengths vary for 5 woods. Besides the Taylormade 21° 5HL anomaly , 19- 17.5ish (unadjusted) degrees are standard lofts depending on brands and probably nearly all are adjustable now. Some 7 woods get into the 19 degree lofts, at least after adjustments. Then there is the long shafted big-headed Heavenwood that some (mistakingly IMO) call a 7 wood.

I think you need to try some out and compare results next club up and down from the 3H on a launch monitor and see if your gaps are covered. Everyone will be different.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find a 3 wood I can reliably play so i have a TourEdge Exotics XCG7 Beta 5 18* it's a I need to ball to 210 yards or more that way club. 3 Hybrid is a bit more accurate but the 5w has more distance.

I prefer fairway woods over hybrids but I think it’s a matter of personal choice. I just have more confidence with fairway wood in my hands as opposed to any hybrid.

My bag was driver, 5 wood, 3 hybrid last year, it was only this fall I added a 3 wood and I'm thinking of dropping the hybrid out. 5w and 3h are pretty close in distance and I'm more comfortable with the 5.

My fairway metalwoods don't have club numbers on them, just lofts____18.5, 21.5, and 24.5º.

My first TaylorMade 5-wood, however, was 23º. That was 1980.
12º driver, 17º 3-wood, 20º 4-wood, 23º 5-wood---that's the set of "Pittsburgh Persimmons" in my basement.

23º is a 9-wood in several lines now. Seriously.

So if it were me, I'd look for a loft, not a club number, and see if it worked for me.

I’m a fan of fairway woods and the 5W is probably my favorite club. Love it from most lies and like the smaller profile for digging a ball out of the rough. Hit down and watch the ball fly.

It's always fun to tinker! I'd go demo a bunch of 5w's and find one that fits what you're looking to do distance/performance wise and compare it to what you are currently gaming. Worst-case scenario, you'll discover what you preference is and have a blast in the process!

I've got a 5w in my bag. Srixon Z F85 18*

Have seen that Tiger is using a 5w in his bag this week at the Farmer's Insurance.
5-wood: TaylorMade M3 (19 degrees)
Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White 80 TX

I have a love hate with my 5w - all depends on my swing, I like it better than the hybrid since the head is bigger and more surface area for contact.

Currently in the love phase as I was crushing it during my last round.

I am looking at potentially updating my fairway wood/hybrid combination this year and will seriously be looking at maybe adding a 5 wood. I just need a little extra forgiveness off the fairway vs my current 3 wood. Don’t want to lose any distance off the tee so whatever I end up with and would rather gain an extra 10 yds..... positive thoughts.

I could never see my setup being without a 5 wood. I am much more a FW guy than a hybrid guy.

I will always have a 5W in the bag, perfect gap for me and easy to hit.

I started to play a Cleveland 5 wood this year and dropped my 3 wood. I don't hit long enough to make most par 5's in two so not having the 3 wood doesn't really affect me. I hit driver, 5 wood, and some kind of wedge on par 5's for the most part. I am more accurate with the 5 wood than I ever was with the 3 wood, so it tends to set up a good wedge in. If I can't reach most of the par 4's on a course with driver and 5 wood (or less) than I have no business playing those tees.

I put a 5-wood back in the bag last year and couldnt be happier with it. I find that I hit it just as far as I do a 3-wood and unlike the 3-wood, I can hit it off the ground or off a tee. With a 3-wood, I tend to hit an unintentional stinger.

Back