Revisiting the Flagstick Rule: Are you still in, or out?

I prefer it in and my choice in the beginning was always in. I read Pelz book and believe it should help more often than not. Unfortunately I now pull it inside 10 ft or so because subconsciously I found I was aiming more away from the the pin and was missing more and more short putts trying to hit between the stick and edge of cup. Wish I could just leave it in all the time. Will tap in from less than 2 ft when continuous putting so maybe becoming more accustomed to it.

Still out, except on long putts where I can't see the hole. OR on extremely fast downhillers. Its nice to have the option.

I prefer to putt with it in, particularly on short putts where I feel I can putt more firmly for more makes. What I've noticed though is that there are usually one or more players in the group that want the pin out, so we just pull it for all putts rather than messing with it.

If I was to play in a competitive tournament though, I'd sure mess with it as I do like it on short putts!

If I think there is a chance I will make the putt I am pulling the flag.

Still leave the flag in unless it's windy or a short putt.

My dad and I started out mostly flag in and then my dad got robbed potentially by the flagstick and we have been more likely to take it out again but I will just defer to whatever the group wants.... actually if even one person wants it out every time, then I hope everyone is okay with it because the in for some and out for some thing doesn't appeal to me.

I leave it in. I get my ball out of the cup by removing the flag and using the "suction cup" contraction at the base of my putter grip.

If im by myself or with one other guy, it is almost 100% in the entire time. Then again, it was prior to the rule change also. When its a foursome, I defer to the group im with as I dont really care and wont be making anyone put it back in if its already out. Its a pace of play thing for me.

Never played with it in unless I am playing as a single. I like watching the ball go in the hole with no flag stick.

A year later, what’s your status when it comes to the flagstick rule? Are you in, or out? Why?

Think we will see this one changed back anytime soon? Why?

Discuss!

Flagstick in the hole !

I enjoyed playing with it in but this season I'll have to go with it out from now on.

All season last year, maybe I could make a case for 2 putts that may have gone in if not for the flag. But in December, my course installed an inner plastic sleeve at the top of the cups. Necessary to prevent damage due to so many players fishing their ball out with flag inserted.

But geez, it's made incidents of inexplicable misses increase. 3 times my 1st round with them. One each my last 2 solo rounds (pulled the pin with the guys).

Talking fairly slow putts here that lightly hit the flag then carom out off the lip of the sleeve. I've only seen it with glancing hits off the side of the pin.

What complicates things I guess, are the firm flagsticks that are fairly wide at the base.

Not just me, a few guys have been talking about it. Some flag-in stalwarts are now pulling the pin.

If the flag is leaning, then I will take it out and try to re-seat it, but if it is still leaning I will take it out

Generally I will leave it in, unless someone else in the group wants it out. If I am out by myself then I tend to leave it in anyway

I never pull it anymore. Pulling it just kind of died off as the year went by in all the groups I play in.

Same here. Speeds up the round as everyone just goes to their ball and gets ready to putt.

In, it speeds up play.

If alone, I leave it in. If in a group, I go with the flow.

Like a lot of the respondents, if I'm trying to make the putt--no matter the distance--I'll take it out. If I'm just trying to get it close, it stays in.

A year later, what’s your status when it comes to the flagstick rule? Are you in, or out? Why?

Think we will see this one changed back anytime soon? Why?
I am totally in on leaving the flagstick in and have been after about the first 4 rounds of using it. I find it especially good for gauging distance on longer putts and it gives me more confidence to go ahead and give it a good run from shorter range. I know there are some guys who just can't deal with it and I'm not sure why it was so easy for me to change, as I've been playing for over 40 years, but it works for me. Plus I think it defintely speeds up play when the whole foursome is doing it.

There are some caveats that negate the use of the flagstick though:
- If the wind is blowing and it's whipping around, that's just irritating
- If the flagstick won't stand up straight
- If the bottom of the flagstick is thicker than normal, which doesn't leave as much room in the cup
- If someone else in the group has it pulled, I won't ask to put it back in cause that delays the game

That said, I don't think this rule change is going away any time soon, even though it still feels like cheating a bit when I have a slick downhiller ... :sneaky:

I'm still 99% leaving it in. I went through 2019 only pulling it once or twice and was totally fine. I can recall two instances where I do believe the flag stick caused the ball to miss, but that's it.

In 2020, however, I can already count 4 times where I felt the flag stick caused the miss, so maybe I should reconsider:unsure:

my preference is still to leave it in. just one less thing to deal with (worrying about where to drop, someone picking it up, etc).

however unless Im solo I just play it however the group wants. doesn't bother me either way (although on LONG putts it stays in no matter consensus otherwise)

I still prefer to leave it in. There are some guys at the course I play with who want it out and that's fine too. In league we started asking on the first tee if they prefer it in or out and just rolling with that so that we know before the first green. More of the groups started leaving it in as the year went on but if there was even just one that wanted it out we all played with it out. It wasn't a big deal either way, except maybe in the club championship but that was just a display of really poor putting on faster than normal greens that I want to forget. I still think if the flag was in I would have made the second putt, or even third on that hole both days...maybe:LOL:

No one I played with last year pulled the pin. Ever. Also not me.

I generally still leave it in, except for shorter putts.

I don't think it will get reversed anytime soon. I feel like for golf to backtrack on it already would look foolish on their part.

I leave it in and couldnt be happier with it. Not having to take the flag out is just 1 less thing to have to mess around with.

Back