Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

I’m settled with the 5FW and 4H MAX. I haven’t gotten on as well with odd number rouges (3H and 5H) when I’m too tired or have bad back. I am wondering has anyone tried the 6-8H mavrik range?

Didn’t really do a proper fitting but Mav SZ 4wd has been ordered with 60g Riptide 6.0 and I’m excited to get it. I went with the Lamkin Crossline Mavrik orange grip because it looks awesome.

Soooooo......

The 5w and I have had an interesting relationship. Ball speeds are good, directionally it’s been a battle, but it wasn’t until the Max 3+ came in that I remembered this usually happens a bit to me in fairway wood reviews that come in at a lighter weight than I’m used to fit wise. That said, it never keeps me from putting a club through its paces, though I would like to try it with a 70 6.5 Riptide in it sometime.

Back to the 5w. The word towering still rings true for me, the ball flight is consistently in the 32-35 yard peak range which for me is massively high. Speeds have cracked 150’s out of a 5w at times, but my hurt arm and winter weather has kept that from happening as much as it would I believe. Again, driver like CT is correct, ball speed for days.

Bugger story remains for me the AI face and what it does. Video reviews of people hitting center mass do nothing for the story here, misses are incredibly playable. More so than in any fairways I’ve ever played or reviewed. Living towards the heel a bit recently and I’m not getting the violently accentuated left to right gear effect, nor the amount of ball speed and spin alteration from that strike I usually see.

It’s been enlightening, and my 3+ Max, well, we will just save that story for later, eh? :)

Yesterday with the 3+ Max is legit altering my 2020 top of bag setup.

Should have listened to @JB months ago that the Max was going to shock and awe.

I'd think that anyone out there that's shopping for a fairway, just needs to read through this thread. I can't remember how many different people have made that exact same statement.

It's can't just be marketing hype, when this many people are singing the praises of a club, over and over.

This winter weather is killing me! Want to try these & the Max 5W & Max 3+ are where I will start. Until I can get fit outside, I'll just have to keep hanging out here.

Punxsutawney Phil Says 'Early Spring.'

After how bad I hit driver on Saturday, the standard and Max 3+ are on my mind. Been pondering the hybrids too but I haven’t hit them yet.

I have no idea how this 3 hybrid is literally so good. Every time I swing it, it goes dead straight for miles. It’s getting to the point where I’m ready to just choke down to force a yardage just to use the club more often!

The mav hybrid is just that good for me.

I have no idea how this 3 hybrid is literally so good. Every time I swing it, it goes dead straight for miles. It’s getting to the point where I’m ready to just choke down to force a yardage just to use the club more often!

The mav hybrid is just that good for me.

i'm having trouble committing to mav hybrid or super in 20*.

I wouldn't feel bad about that at all. When I did my fitting he didn't like the way i was hitting or the results of the super hybrid, gave me an Epic Flash hybrid and immediately it was golden.

I wouldn't feel bad about that at all. When I did my fitting he didn't like the way i was hitting or the results of the super hybrid, gave me an Epic Flash hybrid and immediately it was golden.

I tried the Super in the Catalyst shaft because I can get hooky with hybrids. Oddly enough, I was hooking it more than the standard Mav hybrid. It was completely my swing (-8 F2P versus -3 F2P), but I found it harder to swing for me than just the regular hybrid. But I am a high cap.

Well I got out with the 3W and Pro 2H and it was interesting.

Like the shape and flight of the standard 3W for the spring, but that I knew. Unfortunately I can say confidently from one outing that the Riptide 70S will NOT work for me. I thought it would be fun to try because I love the look of it. They make an 80 TX, but that shaft just isn't meant for my swing and tempo. Felt really smooth though. Dreamy even. I could see it working really well for people in the mid-mid market on that head, and I'm not at all surprised by some of the positive comments I've seen.

The Pro 2H with the KBS Proto 80X on the other hand fit me like a pair of tight pants. Just right. :p Don't like the square toe look, so the Pro shape is much more appealing to me. And I love KBS in general, so I'll get over the excessive red in the interest of performance. Which was STELLAR. Had one chance to hit it early, and then on a par 5 took half a dozen while my buddy was ball hunting. Shortest one was 246 on the dot (LONG for me), and it was the first. I was amazed how workable that combo was while I was hitting those, especially at that weight, but didn't realize how far they were going until after. I leaned on the last couple to see what I could get and I'm still kind of confused by how far they went. I even toed the last one just a touch. Casual observation was just serious ball speed for my swing.

I was talking about it with the pro after our round and comparing notes on his testing of the same setup. Long story medium long, I'd love to get that hybrid on a monitor and if the results stay anywhere near those numbers I doubt I'll be carrying a 3W at all with that set. Unless I go back to the 3+ Sub Zero like I tested in Vegas, but I hadn't planned on that until mid summer.

So 1 for 2 on the guessing clubs and going to play shaft swap on the 3W to tighten it up.

The super was an easy no for me as it went HARD right on me. I need something closer to neutral as I already play a bit of a fade.

I think the 2 hybrids you listed are a matter of what you’re looking for.

Quick giphy on my Mavrik SZ 3 wood test moments ago: the ball speed abides! Whoa...

Just did some quick testing of the SIM Ti 15 3 wood in comparison to the Mavrik SZ 15 3 wood.
Both feel awesome! I enjoyed both in the feel dept. immensely.
Setup: The SIM bugged me in that it looked shut in the std position, but ignored it.
Mavrik setup pretty square to my eye and looks great.

Spin: both were spinning nearly identical for me. And that is...too low. They both averaged around 2300. Not enough spin for me to manage a 3 wood. I’m notorious for hitting 3 woods low. Give me a 4 or 5 wood though and I’m usually pretty good.

Ok...so..... ball speed.....

Yeah....soooo Mavrik is a dirty girl.

Mavrik was nearly 5 mph faster for me. Impressive if that is real. I say “if” only because I wasn’t on a trackman or GCQuad, so not sure how accurate we are talking here.

NOTE: the guy in the shop was not very helpful and I noticed the weight was forward on the SZ. Guessing that if I had the 4 wood with the weight back, it woukd be a silly fw for me.

Sooooo....what did I do.

I bought the new ST200 TS fw! Ha!
They didn’t have the SZ 4 wood and I was Jones’in to burn a gift card. Also PGA SS has a 90 day guarantee, so figure I’d give the ST200 a run for S+Gs. The ST200 TS is silly pretty. I also like that it’s adjustable. Will post a few pics of it in the appropriate thread. If the Mizzy doesn’t wow me, I will def be swapping it for the SZ 4 wood.

I agree on that, but I was pleasantly surprised it’s decently deep. I’m excited to hit it.

View attachment 8926221

Hey J, question for you. Something I noticed straight away with the Mav pro hybrid is the face. Tell me you thoughts..

Just did some quick testing of the SIM Ti 15 3 wood in comparison to the Mavrik SZ 15 3 wood.
Both feel awesome! I enjoyed both in the feel dept. immensely.
Setup: The SIM bugged me in that it looked shut in the std position, but ignored it.
Mavrik setup pretty square to my eye and looks great.

Spin: both were spinning nearly identical for me. And that is...too low. They both averaged around 2300. Not enough spin for me to manage a 3 wood. I’m notorious for hitting 3 woods low. Give me a 4 or 5 wood though and I’m usually pretty good.

Ok...so..... ball speed.....

Yeah....soooo Mavrik is a dirty girl.

Mavrik was nearly 5 mph faster for me. Impressive if that is real. I say “if” only because I wasn’t on a trackman or GCQuad, so not sure how accurate we are talking here.

NOTE: the guy in the shop was not very helpful and I noticed the weight was forward on the SZ. Guessing that if I had the 4 wood with the weight back, it woukd be a silly fw for me.

Sooooo....what did I do.

I bought the new ST200 TS fw! Ha!
They didn’t have the SZ 4 wood and I was Jones’in to burn a gift card. Also PGA SS has a 90 day guarantee, so figure I’d give the ST200 a run for S+Gs. The ST200 TS is silly pretty. I also like that it’s adjustable. Will post a few pics of it in the appropriate thread. If the Mizzy doesn’t wow me, I will def be swapping it for the SZ 4 wood.

Did you hit the Mizuno? how did it feel?

Did you hit the Mizuno? how did it feel?
Yes, but I didn't hit the exact setup I purchased. The demo club was the glued hosel 15 and it felt great. I purchased the TS adjustable model with a diamana white. The setup and feel sold me....for now. Playing my first 2020 round tomorrow, so needed a new weapon to have fun with.

Shipping notice! Hopefully get it out on the course soon.

Meanwhile the 816 Alpha has been amazing as if it is trying to convince me. It is the one fw I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get rid of in case things get in a rut.

Hey J, question for you. Something I noticed straight away with the Mav pro hybrid is the face. Tell me you thoughts..
That pic is of the Max 3+ fw, it’s not the pro hybrid.

It's looking like the Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7s is proving to be too much for me to handle in the Mavrik Max Heavenwood. I've always liked the ad-di in my driver (6s version) so figured the 7s would be a logical transition for the Heavenwood, but that's not the case. Time to get this one pulled and swapped out with one I am comfortable with and know will work.

It's looking like the Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7s is proving to be too much for me to handle in the Mavrik Max Heavenwood. I've always liked the ad-di in my driver (6s version) so figured the 7s would be a logical transition for the Heavenwood, but that's not the case. Time to get this one pulled and swapped out with one I am comfortable with and know will work.
Already have a shaft in mind?

Already have a shaft in mind?

I do, I am going to go with a UST Elements Chrome. I know that shaft well and have used it in my woods in the past with success. Just need to track one down on eBay.

I do, I am going to go with a UST Elements Chrome. I know that shaft well and have used it in my woods in the past with success. Just need to track one down on eBay.

I'd gone to the Elements Gold and Platinum in my fairways and they're so reliable.

Back