First Look: Cobra Golf T-Rail Irons

They look pretty sweet

I like both the T Rails and the SZ irons. I would be happy with either. The biggest differences I noticed were in the launch and the forgiveness. I hit the ball higher and straighter with the T Rails. The T Rails were very forgiving on mishits. The ball wanted to go high and straight on most swings. With the SZs, I noticed a slightly lower ball flight and less forgiveness. I had a few low pulls and high pushes. But, on center strikes the SZ was outstanding - high, straight and long. If I was a better player with a better swing I would game the SZs without hesitation. Since I'm getting up there in age (approaching 60) , tend to come over the top and am prone to mishit irons towards the toe, I think the T Rails are for me.

Sounds like I'm the same age and swing faults - so I'll be following your Morgan Cup journey closely! I have always loved the baffler rails on the old fairway woods I had back in the day. Cool to see a whole set like this!

I gave up about 6-7 years ago and bit the bullet. At the time I was playing GI/SGI type irons but still struggled with iron play. At the urging of my buddy he kept telling me to hit the Cleveland Altitudes. I did and haven’t looked back. Got to a single digit cap with them last year finally. I’ll take high and straight over low and workable at my swing speed. It’s hybrid type irons for me from here on out.

I know how much love the Altitudes got from THPers. One reason was it was a very forgiving set but with very little offset. How does the T-Rail set compare?

Sounds like I'm the same age and swing faults - so I'll be following your Morgan Cup journey closely! I have always loved the baffler rails on the old fairway woods I had back in the day. Cool to see a whole set like this!

I know how much love the Altitudes got from THPers. One reason was it was a very forgiving set but with very little offset. How does the T-Rail set compare?

Here’s a pic of both 6i next to each other. The Cleveland’s have little offset. Like similar to Muscle backs or some blades. The T-Rails have a little offset but nothing off putting. Very similar offset to most players irons like an i210 or Apex.

I had a chance to hit both a while back on Trackman. numbers were:

T-Rail: 150.4 carry, 72.8 club, 106.4 ball, 4711 spin, 42.1 descent angle.

Altitude: 147.2 carry, 71.7 club, 104.8 ball, 4760 spin, 41.7 descent.

Both are very good clubs for me and easily either is a great add to my bag. Looks wise the T-Rails hands down. T-Rail has a thinner top line too

B51B535E-6948-4590-8B08-F1F7ECBF0BC4.jpeg5BC543FD-228E-4780-91BA-954409EAFDBE.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s a pic of both 6i next to each other. The Cleveland’s have little offset. Like similar to Muscle backs or some blades. The T-Rails have a little offset but nothing off putting. Very similar offset to most players irons like an i210 or Apex.

I had a chance to hit both a while back on Trackman. numbers were:

T-Rail: 150.4 carry, 72.8 club, 106.4 ball, 4711 spin, 42.1 descent angle.

Altitude: 147.2 carry, 71.7 club, 104.8 ball, 4760 spin, 41.7 descent.

Both are very good clubs for me and easily either is a great add to my bag. Looks wise the T-Rails hands down. T-Rail has a thinner top line too

View attachment 8927137View attachment 8927138
Cool! I'm happy that there is something like the T-Rails as an alternative to the Altitudes out there, since the Clevelands are hard to find now. And I agree, the T-Rails are so much better looking!

I hope these become big sellers. I'll have to give them a try.

I hope these become big sellers. I'll have to give them a try.

I saw on the cobra site the 6i and 9i are backordered.

I probably just did a dumb thing. Got a crazy good price on the trails with graphite. Such a good deal it will be cheaper to just ship them back to cobra to reshaft if they are way too light.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I probably just did a dumb thing. Got a crazy good price on the trails with graphite. Such a good deal it will be cheaper to just ship them back to cobra to reshaft if they are way too light.

Let Us know how it goes

My new trails are supposed to be delivered Wednesday or Thursday. I'll probably take a few swings with the stock graphite, but now I need to decide what kind of shaft to put into them. I had some pretty good success switch the tour 90 in the f9 one lengths. I'm also debating looking at the tour 105 or maybe even the recoil 780 or 95. I had some success with the Miyazaki kua graphite's in the launcher HBs, but still every time I go back and hit the f9s really appreciate that extra weight that's there.

Steel replacement shafts will be 20 per club, 780 is 30 per club, and the recoil 95s would be 40 per club.

The recoil 780s seem kind of like maybe splitting the difference. In between the Kua 60 grams and the tour 90 100 grams.

My new trails are supposed to be delivered Wednesday or Thursday. I'll probably take a few swings with the stock graphite, but now I need to decide what kind of shaft to put into them. I had some pretty good success switch the tour 90 in the f9 one lengths. I'm also debating looking at the tour 105 or maybe even the recoil 780 or 95. I had some success with the Miyazaki kua graphite's in the launcher HBs, but still every time I go back and hit the f9s really appreciate that extra weight that's there.

Steel replacement shafts will be 20 per club, 780 is 30 per club, and the recoil 95s would be 40 per club.

The recoil 780s seem kind of like maybe splitting the difference. In between the Kua 60 grams and the tour 90 100 grams.

Are you having Cobra do the reshaft?
Reason I ask is they no longer list the Recoil 780 F3 as a shaft option on their site for the T-Rail. F2 flex still shows up though.

I had the same thing happen when I ordered my 6i. Wanted the TT XP95 Shaft which showed as an option. But cobra called and said it was no longer offered for 2020. Went with the Modus 105R instead.

Are you having Cobra do the reshaft?
Reason I ask is they no longer list the Recoil 780 F3 as a shaft option on their site for the T-Rail. F2 flex still shows up though.

I had the same thing happen when I ordered my 6i. Wanted the TT XP95 Shaft which showed as an option. But cobra called and said it was no longer offered for 2020. Went with the Modus 105R instead.
Yeah I'll be doing it through cobra. I was looking at the f4 which I believe is still an option.

Yeah I'll be doing it through cobra. I was looking at the f4 which I believe is still an option.

Got it. Not sure about F4. That’s above my ability to swing a club that quickly ?

Got it. Not sure about F4. That’s above my ability to swing a club that quickly
I can swing it somewhat fast and aggressively, just not very accurately, hence the launcher HB and Trails.

@erock9174 you hit both the trail and HB turbos right? Would you put them at the same level of forgiveness? I remember you said you got much better soon with the trails.

@erock9174 you hit both the trail and HB turbos right? Would you put them at the same level of forgiveness?

Correct. I have spent a good amount of time with both on the range. As for forgiveness they both excel here. I hit one today with my T-rail 6i that I literally dropped kicked the club off the mat before coming into contact with the ball and it still flew high and online and ended up about 10 yds short of my target. I just laughed and thought wow, I didn't deserve that.

As for comparing the two. The Turbo seems to have a larger face area. I haven't measured them but this could be just because the dark color of the T-Rail hides it better.
Both sound good to my ear for being a hollow body club. My Altitude irons seem to have a higher pitched tink sound than these.

Both are equally easy to hit and honestly I could play either iron. Aesthetically neither are off-putting to me, but I do think the T-Rail with its black head is a sleeker looking club. Also while I haven't had time on the grass with it yet (only range mats and off the tee), I think the rails should make these even better off the turf...especially on an overly steep swing which I tend to do from time to time. Another factor for me choosing the T-Rail is I have gamed the Altitudes for 5-6 seasons now and the Clevelands don't seem to change much with each HB type release. While I do think the Turbo's edge out in the Altitudes in terms of looks I just don't see any revolutionary gains, more-so minor tweaks. The T-Rails were just different enough and the Black heads really got me. Also I have wanted to get some Cobra in the bag for years now.

I had a chance to hit both the Turbo 7i today with a Modus105R and my T-Rail 6i with the same shaft and they were both really good. It really all comes down to what you like and which you hit better.

Oh and one other consideration. The Turbos are a progressive size set. So the 4i is pretty large...like hybrid sized and get progressively smaller through the set. The PW in the Turbos is roughly the same size as say a CBX wedge. The T-Rails on the other hand, have soles that are all pretty much the same width from 4i down to SW. Which honestly in the wedges is getting pretty wide. But I do say I am intrigued to try the T-Rail wedges nonetheless.

Correct. I have spent a good amount of time with both on the range. As for forgiveness they both excel here. I hit one today with my T-rail 6i that I literally dropped kicked the club off the mat before coming into contact with the ball and it still flew high and online and ended up about 10 yds short of my target. I just laughed and thought wow, I didn't deserve that.

As for comparing the two. The Turbo seems to have a larger face area. I haven't measured them but this could be just because the dark color of the T-Rail hides it better.
Both sound good to my ear for being a hollow body club. My Altitude irons seem to have a higher pitched tink sound than these.

Both are equally easy to hit and honestly I could play either iron. Aesthetically neither are off-putting to me, but I do think the T-Rail with its black head is a sleeker looking club. Also while I haven't had time on the grass with it yet (only range mats and off the tee), I think the rails should make these even better off the turf...especially on an overly steep swing which I tend to do from time to time. Another factor for me choosing the T-Rail is I have gamed the Altitudes for 5-6 seasons now and the Clevelands don't seem to change much with each HB type release. While I do think the Turbo's edge out in the Altitudes in terms of looks I just don't see any revolutionary gains, more-so minor tweaks. The T-Rails were just different enough and the Black heads really got me. Also I have wanted to get some Cobra in the bag for years now.

I had a chance to hit both the Turbo 7i today with a Modus105R and my T-Rail 6i with the same shaft and they were both really good. It really all comes down to what you like and which you hit better.

Oh and one other consideration. The Turbos are a progressive size set. So the 4i is pretty large...like hybrid sized and get progressively smaller through the set. The PW in the Turbos is roughly the same size as say a CBX wedge. The T-Rails on the other hand, have soles that are all pretty much the same width from 4i down to SW. Which honestly in the wedges is getting pretty wide. But I do say I am intrigued to try the T-Rail wedges nonetheless.
Yeah I'm intrigued by the Trail wedges for chipping and bump in run turf interaction when I get scared and stick it in the ground.

I have the HB turbos and now have the Trails incoming tomorrow. I don't think I'm going to like the stock shaft much though so I'll have another few weeks before I can get something heavier in them to really put them side by side. I definitely am enjoying the turbos, but have been gaming the f7-f9s in OL so I'd like to give the cobra version a shot. I got the f9s out yesterday and Sunday hitting them side by side with the turbos and I think I may have spoiled myself with graphite. I felt every miss hit in my bones after playing the turbos in graphite the past month or 2.

Yeah I'm intrigued by the Trail wedges for chipping and bump in run turf interaction when I get scared and stick it in the ground.

I have the HB turbos and now have the Trails incoming tomorrow. I don't think I'm going to like the stock shaft much though so I'll have another few weeks before I can get something heavier in them to really put them side by side. I definitely am enjoying the turbos, but have been gaming the f7-f9s in OL so I'd like to give the cobra version a shot. I got the f9s out yesterday and Sunday hitting them side by side with the turbos and I think I may have spoiled myself with graphite. I felt every miss hit in my bones after playing the turbos in graphite the past month or 2.

Taylor, I’m interested to see what you think of the stock shafts and what you might swap out to. I’ve played around with one of the T-rail clubs and so far I really like it. I didn’t have any luck with the stock F9 one length stock graphite shafts, but I’m still looking at maybe something graphite. Either way I think this time I’m going in for a fitting.

Taylor, I’m interested to see what you think of the stock shafts and what you might swap out to. I’ve played around with one of the T-rail clubs and so far I really like it. I didn’t have any luck with the stock F9 one length stock graphite shafts, but I’m still looking at maybe something graphite. Either way I think this time I’m going in for a fitting.

I found the stock graphite shaft to be too light. However, I did have success with the Recoil 460 ESX.

I had stock steel in the f9s I switched to a graphite on the launcher HBs. The kbs 90 was heavy enough for me.

First impression hitting the 7 iron is that I was correct that I just cannot feel my club head through the swing with a 50 gram shaft. I am liking the outcome with the trail when I make good contact, but I've seen some giant hooks with these shafts.

First impression hitting the 7 iron is that I was correct that I just cannot feel my club head through the swing with a 50 gram shaft. I am liking the outcome with the trail when I make good contact, but I've seen some giant hooks with these shafts.

I didn’t like the 50 g shaft either. But when I hit the T Rail with a Recoil 460 ESX, I really liked that combination. High launch and straight.

I'm wondering how these would be for a sweeper like myself.

I'm debating on if I want to try and get 1 shaft changed before I shell out the money for cobra to reshaft them all. I also have an old tour 90 7 iron shaft laying around. I may see if I can throw that on and see how I like it.

Last edited:
Back