Do You Know Your Club's Swing Weights?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
My irons are E6 and wedges F2. There isn't a lot I can do about that as my clubs are +2-inches. I use a lightweight graphite shaft, and my grip is sort of middle of the road in weight.

Unfortunately, this affects my club head speed. I read about a test that was done with SW, and when going from D0 to D9 people lost an average of 2.75 mph of club head speed. At E6 who know how much club head speed I am losing. :rolleyes:

What are the swing weights of your clubs?

Last edited:
My irons are around D2, woods D2, driver D1, but I have some different shaft combos that change those. I don't really mess with my irons much as I like them around the D2-D4 SW, but who knows that could change. I have different drivers - one setup at C9/D0 and another driver at D4. I like to play with SW some but it doesn't make a ton of difference for me until it is a number of SW differences, then I can tell.

My irons are E6 and wedges F2. There isn't a lot I can do about that as my clubs are +2-inches. I use a lightweight graphite shaft, and my grip is sort of middle of the road in weight.

Unfortunately, this affects my club head speed. I read about a test that was done with SW, and when going from D0 to D9 people lost an average of 2.75 mph of club head speed. At E6 who know how much club head speed I am losing. :rolleyes:

What are the swing weights of your clubs?
There is an easy solution though, that’s what backweights are for.

There is an easy solution though, that’s what backweights are for.

I thought of that, but then that increases the static weight of the club, and from what I have read that is not an optimal solution.

Irons (thru 9 iron), woods, hybrid, putter - D2
PW & 50* D3, 54 & 58 D4

Those sound sensible. :)

Those are the readings my home economy SW scale gives me. They may be off slightly but at least I know they are consistent. If only my golf game was....

I thought of that, but then that increases the static weight of the club, and from what I have read that is not an optimal solution.
Well, That’s pretty much your option if you’re really playing 2 inches over standard.

Well, That’s pretty much your option if you’re really playing 2 inches over standard.

I know. I thought of heavier grips, but the SW decrease is minimal. One thing I read was to drill some very small holes in the head, but that isn't going to happen, lol.

Honestly, I have no idea

Maybe one day I will get them checked, but if the club feels okay then I am good to swing

Nope

NFI.

D3

6-AW is D0 the rest of the wedges are D2

No idea, and it is one thing that I don't fully understand. Need to scour the forum and find some good information that I can use.

Driver is D4

Irons are D2

Fairway is D1

Need to check the wedges.

I have no idea. I’m playing +1 length. Someday I’ll get into the tech stuff and get a better understanding.

D0 - D9=10 PTS SW 2.75 CHS/10 = .275 PER POINT
D0 - E6=17 PTS X.275= 4.675 CHS X 2.5 YDS = 12 YDS
Just me messing with figures and whatnot.

D0 - D9=10 PTS SW 2.75 CHS/10 = .275 PER POINT
D0 - E6=17 PTS X.275= 4.675 CHS X 2.5 YDS = 12 YDS
Just me messing with figures and whatnot.
Whazzat mean?o_O

I get the first line D0-D9=10 points swing weight but what's CHS?

Driver: D4.5
3 Wood: D3
20° Hybrid: D3
5i to 9i: D2
PW/GW: D3
SW/LW: D4

Driver...D0
Hybrids...D2
Irons.......D3
Wedges....D4-5

You are swinging the heaviest clubs I have ever heard of.....I have a swing weight scale. Every club in my bag is between D0 and D2....My guess is if I had to have plus 2 inch clubs....I might consider changing my stance to wider....I might get plus 3 inch and choke down to plus 2 inch....I might just regrip and add a lead ball weight in butt to a weight that changes swing weight down to D 2/3/4....There are answers to your query....but none are easy. heavier club lower swing weight with back weight....widen stance and see if you can get to point of near standard length swing weight...

Back