Etiquette rules when playing with a new person for the first time

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
I've been reading a lot lately about the unwritten etiquette rules about air flight. What are those unwritten rules that you have for the course?

Let's say you are headed to the course one afternoon (perhaps after informing your work of having "golf-flu"), and you get paired with someone you've never played before. What are those unwritten rules that you follow, and expect others to follow but really grind your gears when someone inadvertently breaks?

For me:

• Do not grab or touch my clubs without permission - just feels like a violation!
  • Loud rap music on the course from your speaker (I'm good with just about any music, but rap messes up my tempo)
  • Getting falling over drunk on the course (I'll have a few cold ones occasionally, but the folks that can't even walk straight by the end of 9 need to go home)

I've been reading a lot lately about the unwritten etiquette rules about air flight. What are those unwritten rules that you have for the course?

Let's say you are headed to the course one afternoon (perhaps after informing your work of having "golf-flu"), and you get paired with someone you've never played before. What are those unwritten rules that you follow, and expect others to follow but really grind your gears when someone inadvertently breaks?

For me:

• Do not grab or touch my clubs without permission - just feels like a violation!
  • Loud rap music on the course from your speaker (I'm good with just about any music, but rap messes up my tempo)
  • Getting falling over drunk on the course (I'll have a few cold ones occasionally, but the folks that can't even walk straight by the end of 9 need to go home)
Great post. You have some good rules there and I agree. I am fairly lenient but I do mention a few things. I really try to first see what the other person has on their mind before I mention anything.

Just be a normal person and have fun.

just dont be an ass hat. and if you’re a better player than I am (probably 9/10 times), don’t use the round as a golf lesson for me.

Looking for a lost ball for excessive amount of time repeatedly.

No unsolicited advice.

Musicwise for me I don't care as long as you ask your group first.

Number one for me is ready golf. I really don't care about much else as long as we play ready, keep up pace, and enjoy the day.

Chat if you want or not, doesn't matter to me. But I don't need or want your swing advise.

If they don’t fix their ball mark....

“Hey I got your ball mark for you this time buddy”

Guilt em into if necessary.

This is making me really grateful I don't get unsolicited swing advice very often. It must be more common than I realize. I guess it would go hand in hand with know-it-allism though, and that's pretty common. I do have someone tell me I 'should' be playing a certain club/shaft every now and then, and that's annoying.

Whotf touches someone's clubs without asking?? I'll let just about anyone hit one of my clubs, but you don't just go reaching into a strangers bag. Insanity!

Don't talk politics, maybe? Kind of like 'rap music' comment by the OP. Your tastes/opinions/beliefs might be pretty different than the others. Try not to make others suffer them unnecessarily.
Save your meltdown/self-abuse for alone time or therapy, please.

Neither of those are unwritten rules really. Just stuff that can be done without.

I have had people ask me to take a swing with my driver because they may not have ever seen or hit a ball with a true wooden driver before. I'm good with that if they ask. But they should never under any circumstances go into my bag and help themselves.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Be yourself. If they don't like and you don't mesh who cares. If you are one that needles someone then they might as well know it right away.

This isn't a date its just golf. Relax.

just dont be an ass hat. and if you’re a better player than I am (probably 9/10 times), don’t use the round as a golf lesson for me.

Chat if you want or not, doesn't matter to me. But I don't need or want your swing advise.

I've been lucky not to have this happen. It seems more common than I thought. Man, I would never ever offer unsolicited advice. I don't say much on the few times I am literally asked for my opinion - I'm not qualified to analyze your swing, I can barely keep up with mine.

This is making me really grateful I don't get unsolicited swing advice very often. It must be more common than I realize. I guess it would go hand in hand with know-it-allism though, and that's pretty common. I do have someone tell me I 'should' be playing a certain club/shaft every now and then, and that's annoying.

Whotf touches someone's clubs without asking?? I'll let just about anyone hit one of my clubs, but you don't just go reaching into a strangers bag. Insanity!

Agree. Keep your hands off my ball sack uninvited.

Don't talk politics, maybe? Kind of like 'rap music' comment by the OP. Your tastes/opinions/beliefs might be pretty different than the others. Try not to make others suffer them unnecessarily.
Save your meltdown/self-abuse for alone time or therapy, please.

Neither of those are unwritten rules really. Just stuff that can be done without.

Good thought. No one needs to see this. We can just all agree that golf is hard and sometimes very frustrating.

It's already been said; don't be a richard(y)

When playing with someone new to me, I don't expect anything of them. They are who they are. How they act is of no concern of mine. They paid their fees, the same as me.

Most of the new to me golfers I meet up with are decent people, and it's a pleasure to share golf time with them.

Me, I'm there to play golf, and have a good time. Nothing else matters. I will show the new to me golfer every courtesy the way I think the game should be played.

play ready golf and don't be a dick. we are not pros so no need to get upset when a shot doesn't turn out they way you wanted.

Have fun
Play ready golf
Manage your liquor
Don't offer advice unless asked.

Don't play slow.

Don't be a Richard.
You can play with me any day sir. This is pretty much all you need to get through life golfing with strangers.

My to pet peeves have already been mention - no politics and play ready golf. I'll also add cart etiquette, don't park the cart 30 feet from you ball and then saunter up to it, swing an saunter back.

One more I’ll add - don’t be a Bryson; most likely you don’t have to calculate humidity, lunar eclipse, altitude and temp differential. Most of us aren’t accurate to the millimeter!

Play ready golf and leave the physics at home...

Play ready golf is a big one for me! Also not taking 10 minutes to look for a ball. I usually play in a group but have been paired with a single before. Usually it is very pleasant. I usually just try to mind my own game!

Ready golf, grab the pin every now and then, don't stand behind me when I hit. I usually find first time playing with 99% they are on best behavior...

I don't really have any specific expectations. I am generally adaptive and can play with most people. We're out there for a relatively short time to play a round. If the behavior gets too far out of whack, I will move on and do my own thing.

The other side of this is my communication up front. I have played with party hard groups and told them I was there to play, not party. In every case they gave me space. A little clear communication up front can go a long ways to keeping the peace.

Don't walk in someones line on the green.
Don't go ball mining when you are looking for yours, if you find a couple great pick them up & let's go.

Back