Maltby KE4 TC driver.

Popeye

Reaction score
Handicap
This was a sneaky release by Maltby as there was talk about a new driver head but they were talking about a mid spring release. These have been out for about a month now. It's a 450 cc driver with new for Maltby aero fins on the back of the driver. They also returned to an adjustable hosel. Also to return, they have their trademark changelable weight port.
This is an all titanium driver with multiple types of Titanium. The cup face wraps quite a bit around the crown. The fins remind you of a Ping. It's kind if like Taylormade and Ping had a baby. The matted black finish has a great look.The fins are noticeable only at first look and disappear quite frankly. Early testing I had an Xcaliber Superlite55 shaft in the head.
Right away I did a head to head test against a SIM driver. SIM was a 9.5 and the KE4 was a 10.0 set to 9.5. The KE4 edged out the SIM in the slightest margin but they did not have identical shafts.
So I matched up another Superlite55 shaft for the SIM head. Again the KE4 edged it out in all but the club head speed. Overall distances were better due to less spin. It wasnt blowing away the SIM but it was better. It's interesting ti see the two data shots at how closely the numbers match between the two sessions. Though I wasnt swinging as fast percentages were near identical.
Numbers posted below.
I have since tested quite a few shafts in the KE4 head and it has done extremely well. I have let quite a few players hit the club against thier gamer and it gave better ball speed to everyone who has tried it.
Today I let a Taylormade Pro hit the KE4 with TENSI Blue shaft. What he was able to do with this head was jaw dropping. He was barely warmed up while posting 338 yard drives. He was trying to get 180mph ball speeds but just couldnt get there. He owns the Simulator and he has not seen his own performance in ANY driver eclipse what he saw today. His personal SIM Max driver does not duplicate these numbers. Pictures of his session are below. He said if he was not under contract with TM he would game this driver right now. Then he said it would be hard to explain at the National TM tournament at Pebble Beach next month why he had it.
The third picture is a snapshot of a session I did with an Xcaliber shaft.
Best of all I played outdoors with this head today using the TENSI Blue shaft. Straight as any arrow and hit some near career long at this course in 40-45° weather.
Playing partners were again and again commenting on the beautiful flight it had and how it just seemed to go forever. The best part, one of my playing partners, 20 years my jr was blowing past me by 20 yards all last year. I was dead even with him all day long and clipped him a few times. First round of the season and shot a -1. Driver was a huge reason for this. My day long was 312 on the par 5 viewed from the GPS. That's a monster drive for me and have only done that on a baked out fairway, not a winter soggy fairway.
The KE4 TC Is a for real release. Its performance has been shocking. All for $149 a head....... The TENSI Blue beast was a total of $229..
bdb64f1b1f960dabaeeba21ad47f7353.jpg
28f50ecc906bc86188cdeebbe7053e40.jpg
8e7489dcb21365b1922dc4444b97623d.jpg
6ff607f6fe2e24b1a82abb9b8c9edd98.jpg
c5d697b39ddb312318eb7b8112a19b9a.jpg
5e1b6451f3533d6c731271b4d15b57d3.jpg
d79f8b4ca3c5ad2572eeff7adc1502c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The top looks similar to the TM versions the last few years with that front plate no? I like the all black top though better, and hey that performance is all that matters

Us lefties gotta go with the STw2 head

The top looks similar to the TM versions the last few years with that front plate no? I like the all black top though better, and hey that performance is all that matters
It definitely has the TM look to the top. I found the white Dot on top to be a nice but subtle line up aid.

I like the looks of it. You don't have to spend a lot to get a lot!! would love to see a comparison between component heads vs the brands, same shaft.

Last edited:
I like the looks of it.
At first when I saw the fins in pictures.. I was like,, oh no. But I really like the look and in person it's way better. Plus it has a great sound to it. It's a nice CLICK. Louder than a carbon crown but not overly loud.

Malty makes some good stuff. Enjoy this one.

I like the looks of it. You don't have to spend a lot to get a lot!! would love to see a comparison between component heads vs the brands, same shaft.
If you look at the second picture that is the data from an identical shaft built SIM vs KE4. The aero in the SIM is real and you can swing it faster but it did not translate into a higher ball speed. The KE4 spun less and went further. While it's only 3 yards in this test it still did better. That gap was the same with a factory SIM shaft. Compared to the M5 the gap was even bigger. I tested a 100 mph swinger with an M5 head and he gained 4 mph with the KE4 with identical swing speeds, identical shafts.

I've got 5 driver shafts with TM adaptors,, can this club head somehow be fitted to receive the TM adaptors? (this is my second year with Maltby PTM irons and MS wedges) Their products are great and affordably.

I've got 5 driver shafts with TM adaptors,, can this club head somehow be fitted to receive the TM adaptors? (this is my second year with Maltby PTM irons and MS wedges) Their products are great and affordably.
Nope, the adapters are exclusive to every brand. Adapters a $14 each so it's not too horrible to swap over. The head comes with one adapter, a wrench and a head cover.

Good info in here. I saw this on their site last week and was intrigued. What is the weight of these heads?

Good info in here. I saw this on their site last week and was intrigued. What is the weight of these heads?
I have had two of them and they both weighed 199.8 grams.
Factory spec is 200 g + or - 3 grams. I seem to prefer less weight in the weight port. Less weight I have seen them spin less.

I would be interested in seeing how the maltby numbers would compare playing around 44" and a heavier head weight.

Thanks for the review, I've been seriously eyeing the KE4+ irons. Now I may have add the driver too.

At first when I saw the fins in pictures.. I was like,, oh no. But I really like the look and in person it's way better. Plus it has a great sound to it. It's a nice CLICK. Louder than a carbon crown but not overly loud.

initially, I thought Cleveland’ish sound but maybe not...

Thanks for the review, I've been seriously eyeing the KE4+ irons. Now I may have add the driver too.
That's a great head. I had them as my own set for two years and had a bunch of demo heads as well. For a cast club it's very good. Plus they are a huge bargain.

That's a great head. I had them as my own set for two years and had a bunch of demo heads as well. For a cast club it's very good. Plus they are a huge bargain.

From the reviews I've seen the sound good & the price really fits my budget.

Would this driver be a good fit for a higher HC player? The one review I watched said it was more for low to mid cappers.

Would this driver be a good fit for a higher HC player? The one review I watched said it was more for low to mid cappers.
The KE4 TC should work for just about everyone.. Its fairly forgiving and launches well. First I would look at the players needs. If he is struggling to get the ball in the air I would seek a driver head with more loft. It will only go up to 11. For a higher handicap I personally like to see as much loft as possible. But it all depends on thier swing.
Later in the year Maltby it coming out with just such a head.

The KE4 TC should work for just about everyone.. Its fairly forgiving and launches well. First I would look at the players needs. If he is struggling to get the ball in the air I would seek a driver head with more loft. It will only go up to 11. For a higher handicap I personally like to see as much loft as possible. But it all depends on thier swing.
Later in the year Maltby it coming out with just such a head.

Hey Popeye, so I am about to get a ke4 tc driver myself.. have MMB-17 when they came out with the black edition.. probably going to just get the head and get an xcaliber 50 or tsl driver shaft. my swing speed is between 106-109 when im fully warm.. so i figured stiff flex with maybe a half inch tip im thinking... what do you think? and my swing i have an over draw.

Also we all know if the swing speed is the exact same heavier weight will create more speed and distance.. so im thinking to switching the 6 gram to a 4 gram or 2 gram.. and then putting 2 or 4 grams of led tape on the front bottom to make up the weight and further more help the lower spin. i seen some of your numbers on the maltby forum and close to 3000 rpm spin is alot im trying to get it around 1800-2200 hit it on the up swing. anyways popeye.. let me know you seem super knowledgeable and would love to get some feedback on what you think.

Looks good. I could definitely be swayed to try a Maltby driver. I've had many component brands in my bag at various times, but I've never had Maltby.

Hey Popeye, so I am about to get a ke4 tc driver myself.. have MMB-17 when they came out with the black edition.. probably going to just get the head and get an xcaliber 50 or tsl driver shaft. my swing speed is between 106-109 when im fully warm.. so i figured stiff flex with maybe a half inch tip im thinking... what do you think? and my swing i have an over draw.

Also we all know if the swing speed is the exact same heavier weight will create more speed and distance.. so im thinking to switching the 6 gram to a 4 gram or 2 gram.. and then putting 2 or 4 grams of led tape on the front bottom to make up the weight and further more help the lower spin. i seen some of your numbers on the maltby forum and close to 3000 rpm spin is alot im trying to get it around 1800-2200 hit it on the up swing. anyways popeye.. let me know you seem super knowledgeable and would love to get some feedback on what you think.
Your swingspeed for the Pro TSL would put you in the TS option with is not quite an X flex. That shaft has some very unique build qualities and a very tip stiff profile. It holds up to an aggressive swing.
As for my spin numbers I suffer from a negative AOA so me getting sub or 3000 spin is pretty darn good. Great for iron play but not the best for a driver.
With the multiple weight options I highly recomend tinkering once you have the basic setup down. You can really knock down the spin numbers.
Another sub 50 gram shaft that does very well is the Superlite45. There is a review thread on here somewhere.

This driver continues to shine. Played today in 45° weather and hit three shots that were in places I had not reached in a long time. I did have a few holes where I had the lefts but it was because of a super aggressive swing.
When I get a driver that does so well i can get seduced into trying to hit world record drives. Causing me to truly swing out of my shoes. Swinging like a normal person gives me that perfect flight that just seems to go forever.
Also outdrove a much younger playing partner again today. It's a lot of fun hitting drives this well,, this early in the season.
My best drives have been a baby fade. For the money spent I cant imagine ANYTHING coming close in distance or forgiveness.

Back