"Jacked" Lofts in 2020

I was going to ask to play everything strong in my MC bag, but I decided against it, mainly due to the posts in the that thread :oops::oops::oops:

If you play "jacked lofts" (hate that term), as I do, and your PW is say 43*, just add a 48*,52* and 58* or 48*, 54*, 60*. Both set ups will do the job.

No. I am saying that I hit any 41° degree Club the same Distance. Regardless of the Stamping.

I really hope you make it to a THP Experience at some point. Because that is absolutely incredible to me and I can’t wait to see it.

Just
Who the **** is having to play 6 wedges?

I'm so confused.
Gapping issues with a 41 degree PW. To cover the 19 degrees to 60 degree Wedge it requires 5 or six Wedges if you count the book ends.

41, 45, 49, 53, 57, 60 is one example of the Gapping. Or 41, 46, 51, 56, 60 is another. So using 5 or 6 Wedges to gap the 40 to 60 degrees of loft isn't that strange. It was just called different names. Numbers plus a PW, SW. Versus our current Stamping system ?:drinks:

I was going to ask to play everything strong in my MC bag, but I decided against it, mainly due to the posts in the that thread :oops::oops::oops:

lucky for you, you are playing Cobra irons. So no need to add that request, they will just do it for you;)

Just

Gapping issues with a 41 degree PW. To cover the 19 degrees to 60 degree Wedge it requires 5 or six Wedges if you count the book ends.

41, 45, 49, 53, 57, 60 is one example of the Gapping. Or 41, 46, 51, 56, 60 is another. So using 5 or 6 Wedges to gap the 40 to 60 degrees of loft isn't that strange. It was just called different names. Numbers plus a PW, SW. Versus our current Stamping system ?:drinks:
The hell if it does. Maybe if you have no clue how to partial swing anything.

41, 48, 54, 60. Done.

LOFT gaps do not automatically mean DISTANCE gaps.

41, 45, 49, 53, 57, 60 is one example of the Gapping.
Okay, I will bite. If people are complaining about lofts, but need 3 clubs to cover 7 degrees, then they need to work much much harder at making clean contact, because something is amiss. :):):):)

I really hope you make it to a THP Experience at some point. Because that is absolutely incredible to me and I can’t wait to see it.
It would be a first for me to witness.

If you play "jacked lofts" (hate that term), as I do, and your PW is say 43*, just add a 48*,52* and 58* or 48*, 54*, 60*. Both set ups will do the job.
You can choose to gap at 3, 4, 5, or 6 degree intervals. Or 10 to 20 yards of difference Distances between clubs. And every other combination.

You can have shorter gaps at the 120 and in Distance. Or Tighter Gapping at the 250 to 200 yards. Again regardless.

It is all allowed and very personal.

:drinks:

I'm still confused why that matters.

My last "more traditional" lofted set I played, PW that was 46-47 degrees, 52GW, 56SW, 60LW. My 9 iron was 42. So at that rate, I needed 5 to cover 42-60.

Just

41, 45, 49, 53, 57, 60 is one example of the Gapping. Or 41, 46, 51, 56, 60 is another. So using 5 or 6 Wedges to gap the 40 to 60 degrees of loft isn't that strange. It was just called different names. Numbers plus a PW, SW. Versus our current Stamping system :drinks:

Then you can’t hit partial wedges if that is the case.

My set is 41 PW, 46, 50,54, 60 I rarely hit the 60 full. That gapping works great for me

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Okay, I will bite. If people are complaining about lofts, but need 3 clubs to cover 7 degrees, then they need to work much much harder at making clean contact, because something is amiss. :):):):)
Agreed. My Wedges and Putter are killing my scores

Till further notice. I am blaming the Clubs :drinks:

I'll say it again for those in the back, consistent LOFT gaps do not automatically equate to consistent DISTANCE gaps.

I'll say it again for those in the back, consistent LOFT gaps do not automatically equate to consistent DISTANCE gaps.

@FACT

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Plus or minus 2 to 5 yards. But not a full Club length. But when I play Cavity Backs I have those occasional Fliers that go two clubs longer than expected. Operator error.

With less enhanced clubs I am either on target and within expected distance or 75 yards short. But safely in play. It's either perfect or safe.

But I also don't need extra Distance. So Jacked Lofts aren't being built with my game in mind.

So I fully understand and appreciate that the technology is helping many times the people than the Outliers who are not gaining full benefits.

Often overlooked in this debate and in IMO, one of the reasons why manufactures have gone to stronger lofts and why they work for many is most amateurs add loft to their irons at impact trying to help their shots into the air. This scooping effect can easily change effective loft by 3-4* or more at impact and is the reason why many average golfers have trouble hitting a full LW or SW. An average Tour Pro or low index golfer does the opposite and delofts their irons to varying degrees at impact which is why many of the players irons that you see on tour or in the bags of low index amateurs are not anywhere near the strongest lofted sets. I’m already delofting my irons at impact so there is no need to go even further. Plenty of sets like mine still have a 46* PW. I’ve hit a 41* PW and it launched too low with too little spin for me to have good control of the distance. The physics can only be pushed so far which is why the most important approach/greenside scoring clubs, the SW & GW are still all lofted 54-60*. When I played irons that had lower CG, more distance, and less spin for a brief period I found my proximity to the hole was not as good and switched back to a set with higher lofts, higher CG, and more spin. They don’t go as far but I have better birdie chances with them.

Last edited:
The hell if it does. Maybe if you have no clue how to partial swing anything.

41, 48, 54, 60. Done.

LOFT gaps do not automatically mean DISTANCE gaps.
Golf is hard. @Jman

Being Clueless is easy.

But definitely worth the effort :drinks:

Often overlooked in this debate and in IMO, one of the reasons why manufactures have gone to stronger lofts and they work for many is most amateurs add loft to their irons at impact trying to help their shots into the air. This scooping effect can easily change effective loft by 3-4* or more at impact and is the reason why many average golfers have trouble hitting a full LW or SW. An average Tour Pro or low index golfer does the opposite and delofts their irons to varying degrees at impact which is why many of the players irons that you see on tour or in the bags of low index amateurs are not anywhere near the strongest lofted sets. I’m already delofting my irons at impact so there is no need to go even further. Plenty of sets like mine still have a 46* PW. I’ve hit a 41* PW and it launched too low with too little spin for me to have good control of the distance. The physics can only be pushed so far which is why the most important approach/greenside scoring clubs, the SW & GW are still all lofted 54-60*. When I played irons that had lower CG, more distance, and less spin for a brief period I found my proximity to the hole was not as good and switched back to a set with higher lofts, higher CG, and more spin. They don’t go as far but I have better birdie chances with them.
Extremely well done :drinks:

Bumping this again as it is true and several statements in this conversation disagree with the above. I would argue that I could give you several different clubs which were 41 degrees and with the same swing they would absolutely go different distances.

Bumping this again as it is true and several statements in this conversation disagree with the above. I would argue that I could give you several different clubs which were 41 degrees and with the same swing they would absolutely go different distances.
I absolutely believe you.

I can only honestly share my own personal experience.

Not a double blind randomized trial.

Not even empirical data. My sample size is too damn small. Total only personal experience.

And God knows I haven't tested all clubs recently released or ever built since 2000.

But I also avoided any Club with a offset. I have lost enough golf balls to the left. My swing Flaw.

But cheers to my next Club fitting. I will try and honestly find the Outliers.

But also during most of my other club fitting, we could barely find 6 or 7 irons from different OEM'S and within an OEM'S product lines with the same lofts.

There's literally a 10 or more degrees different between clubs of similar Stamping. So it is actually very likely that I have never hit 3 clubs exactly 41° degrees during one Club fitting.

Whether they have PW, 7, 6, Or any other clubs is pure luck. They have the heads they have, and they approximate what your full set will be from this data.

PW 41, PW46, GW50, SW 54, LW 58, SUPER DUPER FLOP WEDGE 64

I think Phil Mickelson would be proud to see that setup. You gotta be a stud short game player with that many wedges. I would be so confused on which to use when.

One thing I think I need to do after reading this thread, is get jacked set of irons. I think a 27° 7i and 41° wedge sounds good to me.

but they would all launch the same, launch like a ___ iron...

hm. launches like a what and for whom? ? pesky club numbers

I absolutely believe you.

I can only honestly share my own personal experience.

Not a double blind randomized trial.

Not even empirical data. My sample size is too damn small. Total only personal experience.

And God knows I haven't tested all clubs recently released or ever built since 2000.

But I also avoided any Club with a offset. I have lost enough golf balls to the left. My swing Flaw.

But cheers to my next Club fitting. I will try and honestly find the Outliers.

But also during most of my other club fitting, we could barely find 6 or 7 irons from different OEM'S and within an OEM'S product lines with the same lofts.

There's literally a 10 or more degrees different between clubs of similar Stamping. So it is actually very likely that I have never hit 3 clubs exactly 41° degrees during one Club fitting.

Whether they have PW, 7, 6, Or any other clubs is pure luck. They have the heads they have, and they approximate what your full set will be from this data.

Fun fact, the reason the vast majority of people hook offset clubs is because they set them up improperly, aligning the toe with the hosel at setup.

Back