Scott Piercy Social Media Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not condoning his words but whatever happened to allowing people to apologize and be forgiven. Everyone deserves a second chance. Can’t anybody misspeak? Certainly, actions matter more in life than just words. We don’t even know the guy and how he really thinks or acts. Yet everybody jumps on board the present day intolerance bandwagon.
Offensive sure, stupid for sure. But let’s not crucify the guy. Oh yeah, he is known as one of the only guys that uses the ten finger grip. About all we really know about him.
Agree. He's a human, not a piece of trash. No reason to throw him out because he did something stupid.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

So you're upset that Titleist decided to act in the way they did but you have no reason why you're mad since you dont know whats going on anyway?

Sounds about right for the Internet in 2020.
What's your opinion of Tiger Woods? I'll bet your a fan!?!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Wait, you're calling the reaction to an intolerant message the "intolerance bandwagon"?

I'm all for second chances, but any employer in the land would fire someone over that, Titleist just happened to be his.

Titleist was not his employer.

We don't need to be that literal ... people do pull the trigger rather quickly, but maybe Piercy was already on their sh$tlist and that was the straw that brokeback.

If you want to get into semantics, I'm sure you'll find someone else on the Internet willing to argue with you.

How is it homophobic?
I mean it could have been said about any candidate or sexual orientation. It doesnt make it about fear of one.
Like most PC phobias, its definition has been inflated more than a govt spending program.

It's the joke of the year if Colbert or Kimmel makes it.

Acushnet and Lindeburg were right to drop him. His lame apology gave them little reason not to.

How is it homophobic?
I mean it could have been said about any candidate or sexual orientation. It doesnt make it about fear of one.

it bothers me that the word has be re-appropriated to mean something that its root and related words do not denotate. the word has obviously come to mean something more akin to "racist" or "sexist" than a fear. in this case, it's a bad joke that crossed a line. i would imagine many - maybe even most - of the men on this forum have made some kind of same-sex joke at some point in their lives. is that tantamount to intolerance, or hate, or bigotry? depends on the joke. so possibly for some but certainly not for all.

Here is the thing about freedom of speech, you are free to say/write whatever you want, and everyone who hears/reads it has the freedom to react to it however they want. I wasn't appalled by what he said, but in today's climate if I was paying him what I am guessing is some serious money to represent my brand..... well I would have some serious thoughts.

I also wonder if brands are looking for excuses to drop players at this point. ROI on a journeyman (that is the term I would use when referring to Piercy) cannot be great.

Piercy is free to say what he wants, his sponsors are free to say "no thanks", has no impact on me in the slightest either way.

it bothers me that the word has be re-appropriated to mean something that its root and related words do not denotate. the word has obviously come to mean something more akin to "racist" or "sexist" than a fear. in this case, it's a bad joke that crossed a line. i would imagine many - maybe even most - of the men on this forum have made some kind of same-sex joke at some point in their lives. is that tantamount to intolerance, or hate, or bigotry? depends on the joke. so possibly for some but certainly not for all.
I'm totally politically incorrect, and specialize in jokes of bad taste and questionable nature. None of which mean I'm bigoted or phobic, just means I don't consider anything/anybody exempt when it comes to off-color humor. With that said, I'm very restrained as to what I post on social media - it's too easy to put yourself in a bad situation in today's intolerant climate with people actively looking for things to be offended by, and context/intent can't be read in print and is easily misinterpreted. I'm also very careful about that kind of humor around people who don't know me well, as they don't know where I'm coming from or what my true feelings about an issue might be once you get beyond the joke.

I've seen a lot of people get burned for things they've posted on social media - friends lost, careers ruined, lives disrupted. I had to Google what Piercy posted to see what the ruckus was all about. I'm not easily offended, so I wasn't - but I did shake my head wondering what made him think it was a good idea to post that.

Everyone is so sensitive now days. People need to get over their selves.
Flame away I don’t care but it was funny and I am NOT homophobic

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

I'm totally politically incorrect, and specialize in jokes of bad taste and questionable nature. None of which mean I'm bigoted or phobic, just means I don't consider anything/anybody exempt when it comes to off-color humor. With that said, I'm very restrained as to what I post on social media - it's too easy to put yourself in a bad situation in today's intolerant climate with people actively looking for things to be offended by, and context/intent can't be read in print and is easily misinterpreted. I'm also very careful about that kind of humor around people who don't know me well, as they don't know where I'm coming from or what my true feelings about an issue might be once you get beyond the joke.

I've seen a lot of people get burned for things they've posted on social media - friends lost, careers ruined, lives disrupted. I had to Google what Piercy posted to see what the ruckus was all about. I'm not easily offended, so I wasn't - but I did shake my head wondering what made him think it was a good idea to post that.
Be fair to this situation though. It's one thing to make an off color or uncouth joke. It's another thing to share an uncouth joke from a source that specializes in right-wing conspiracy theories, hatred, and general dog-whistles to the worst of humanity.

Love Blazing Saddles...that movie doesn't get made today... I'm surprised there hasn't been a movement to completely erase its cinematic existence
Definitely, and I can think of a lot of movies and tv shows made in that era that would apply to. Anybody old enough to remember the tv shows "All in the Family", "Sanford and Son" and/or "Chico and the Man" know exactly what I'm talking about.

Love Blazing Saddles...that movie doesn't get made today... I'm surprised there hasn't been a movement to completely erase its cinematic existence

It does not get made and richard Pryor never has a stand up career

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

I feel bad for the guy. He made a terrible terrible decision given his public status and the obvious sensitive nature of it. Regardless of your personal opinion as a public figure the represent very big companies you have to make better decisions.

He is going to get killed in the court of public opinion.

Personally I do not know if he is a terrible person. I know the very good people make very bad decisions because they think something is funny.

Heck it has happened to me on this forum. I say something I think is a joke and it get totally misread. Not 100% the same as this but you get my point that this can happen easily. Especially in an attempt to be funny.

That does not make him a homophob or a terrible person. Hopefully he learns and can recover and be smarter going forward.

it bothers me that the word has be re-appropriated to mean something that its root and related words do not denotate. the word has obviously come to mean something more akin to "racist" or "sexist" than a fear.
What word can we use to describe the irrational idea that someone deserves ridicule for their sexuality and/or sexual preferences?

What word can we use to describe the irrational idea that someone deserves ridicule for their sexuality and/or sexual preferences?
I think the point is that somebody can disagree with something, for whatever reason, without it being a "phobia".

The definition of phobia, according to Merriam-Webster, is "an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation." Harvard Health defines it as "a persistent, excessive, unrealistic fear of an object, person, animal, activity or situation. It is a type of anxiety disorder. A person with a phobia either tries to avoid the thing that triggers the fear, or endures it with great anxiety and distress."

I know people who disagree with homosexuality as a lifestyle, but they're not afraid of homosexuals. They don't have fear, great anxiety or distress over them. It just doesn't jibe with their values. I find it hard to understand why they're not entitled to their opinion without being labeled "phobic", which is an inherently negative label. They're just as entitled to think it's wrong as anybody else is to think it's right, whether I agree with them or not.

Not that the above has anything to do with somebody who doesn't understand there's a time and place to say/post/write things, and there are other times that it's better to refrain. Especially as a public figure who is bearing the burden of representing the brands/employer who are paying them, and who are conscious of the potential blowback from people who they've chosen to represent them.

I think the point is that somebody can disagree with something, for whatever reason, without it being a "phobia".

The definition of phobia, according to Merriam-Webster, is "an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation." Harvard Health defines it as "a persistent, excessive, unrealistic fear of an object, person, animal, activity or situation. It is a type of anxiety disorder. A person with a phobia either tries to avoid the thing that triggers the fear, or endures it with great anxiety and distress."

I know people who disagree with homosexuality as a lifestyle, but they're not afraid of homosexuals. They don't have fear, great anxiety or distress over them. It just doesn't jibe with their values. I find it hard to understand why they're not entitled to their opinion without being labeled "phobic", which is an inherently negative label. They're just as entitled to think it's wrong as anybody else is to think it's right, whether I agree with them or not.
This is my point though, our language has evolved to where the term "homophobia" isn't so phobia-specific anymore (rightly or wrongly). I don't think heterosexist has ever caught on in the English language.

This is my point though, our language has evolved to where the term "homophobia" isn't so phobia-specific anymore (rightly or wrongly). I don't think heterosexist has ever caught on in the English language.
I agree that the common usage has mutated significantly from the actual meaning. It's become a dog whistle.

Ridicule? Equality is what most rational people are after, right? Well it’s not possible t get there then because this same joke or one like it is made about heterosexuality without the thought of ridicule daily and has been for decades.

I don’t believe Piercy should have shared it. In fact I think it was a horrible idea. But I do find that generally speaking equality isn’t what anybody is after anymore. Which is sad.

this same joke or one like it is made about heterosexuality without the thought of ridicule daily and has been for decades.
How does the lame "tee hee gayyy" vein of the joke/meme in question ridicule heterosexuality?

It can certainly be used against someone of heterosexuality to equate them with homosexuality, with the implication/connotation being that homosexuality=bad, which would make it offensive.

Last edited:

intolerant. hateful. bigoted.

But I do find that generally speaking equality isn’t what anybody is after anymore. Which is sad.

Nobody wants equality and never did. Societies, cultures...ANY group of people are governed by inequality. Think about the people at your job, or your group of friends growing up. Was everybody treated the exact same, or were there favorites?

If equality means "treating everyone exactly the same", society would crumble.

Ridicule? Equality is what most rational people are after, right? Well it’s not possible t get there then because this same joke or one like it is made about heterosexuality without the thought of ridicule daily and has been for decades.

I don’t believe Piercy should have shared it. In fact I think it was a horrible idea. But I do find that generally speaking equality isn’t what anybody is after anymore. Which is sad.
The rules are different for historically marginalized communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back