Face Book: Are You A Member

I use it far less than I used to, but it's still a good tool to keep track of old friends. I have ~200 friends on FB. Probably ~100 of them are people that I served with. Some, I haven't seen since my first assignment when I left Hawaii in 2000. Probably 50 or so are friends from high school that I haven't seen since 1994. It's cool to keep in touch with those people and see how they've grown and moved on in life.

I still enjoy the political banter and giving the folks that aren't right a hard time, but not nearly as much as I used to.

I am on Facebook but don’t post much at all. I mostly use it to have a Facebook business page because it is a great source of prospecting for new clients and Facebook advertising is cheap

It's been 15+ years for me. Back when it was just colleges and useful. Rarely use it for much today.

I’m on it but I never check in. Only once in a blue moon.

I'm on it I don't use it often because its annoying. But it is an easy way to keep up with family and friends who live out of town mostly

I joined in college around 2007-2008. I never used it much then hardly ever do now. My 80+ year old granddad uses facebook way more than I do. He was a Head football coach, AD, and principal though so it gives him a chance to catch up with old students and friends. My grandmother was in pretty poor health for a long time so he couldn't leave the house much as he was taking care of her so it was a good thing for him to be able to use it.

It's been 15+ years for me. Back when it was just colleges and useful. Rarely use it for much today.

It's barely been around for 16 years. You must've been in way before there was much to it. What was it useful for at that early stage? That's an honest question, not a smartass remark to antagonize. I mean, it seems at that stage, it hadn't had a chance to grow into anything.

It's barely been around for 16 years. You must've been in way before there was much to it. What was it useful for at that early stage? That's an honest question, not a smartass remark to antagonize. I mean, it seems at that stage, it hadn't had a chance to grow into anything.

yeah, from what I remember, prior Baylor already had something similar where you could communicate with people in your classes via a message board type system.
facebook at that time was, at it's core, similar but much more social (all relative as AIM was still a big deal at that point, cell phones weren't a given, texting wasn't a thing). you had to have a .edu email and if i remember right had to put in the courses you were signed up for as well. Could see everyone taking the classes with you and connect. It was fairly insular within the campus, but it was a social environment that just didn't exist before. Sometime in 2005 it changed into more what we know today.

yeah, from what I remember, prior Baylor already had something similar where you could communicate with people in your classes via a message board type system.
facebook at that time was, at it's core, similar but much more social (all relative as AIM was still a big deal at that point, cell phones weren't a given, texting wasn't a thing). you had to have a .edu email and if i remember right had to put in the courses you were signed up for as well. Could see everyone taking the classes with you and connect. It was fairly insular within the campus, but it was a social environment that just didn't exist before. Sometime in 2005 it changed into more what we know today.

Gotcha. I knew it started as .edu only, but never realized it was so course centric ("had to put in the courses you were signed up for as well"). I guess I learn something every day. I started in 2008 when, to my knowledge, you had to have an invite from someone with a .edu account. So, it wasn't as big as it is now, but it was probably the first big growth spurt.

I use it but it is just there, no friends, no likes, no pictures. It is just to have a digital footprint for job searches since most place like to do the social media looks.

I got on Facebook originally to connect with people for my high school reunion and it worked great. Then used it to post pics of kiddos for family and friends to keep up and see how a few friends were doing from time to time. Now with all the ads, FB tracking everyone, political BS and more vanity posts than ever it's really gotten unbearable to look at.

I have not logged into my facebook account in probably 5 years.

On Facebook so I can receive DAILY updates from my high school class president and class treasurer, keep in mind these are 60 year olds!!!

I use FB to see pictures of my grandkids, as well as keeping in touch with some former co-workers. Any political stuff on my timeline gets immediately jettisoned.

I have FB that I set up a number of years ago to keep in touch with promoters and venues when my band was playing and touring a lot so that was about it. I still check it now and again, but I can go weeks without logging in or even thinking about it. Every time I open the app I'm reminded just why I don't interact at all. No SnapChat, no Twitter and no Instagram. Use LinkedIn for work, but that's my social media presence.

Yeah...basically for family (pictures) and contests only. Other times I browse Facebook and wonder why I ever waste my time.

I use, but very limited to mostly just Groups on there now. Too much postings of peoples political views or other such dumb crap.

I joined FB in '09 shortly after asking a friend of mine if he'd heard anything about our 25 year high school reunion, and being told it had already taken place a few weeks prior. "It was all over Facebook," he said. So, I joined. I liked the simpler format, and eventually dumped my old MySpace account, as that place had become cumbersome. I also liked that they used to require the use of your real name. Over the years, though, it's been changing to the point of becoming everything I disliked about MySpace. The site itself is cumbersome now, and the content is nothing but made-up drama ... adults acting like school kids. I still maintain a presence there, as most of the contacts I have are either real world friends and relatives, or music industry contacts.

I also have a LinkedIn account that I rarely use, and that's all pretty much professional contacts as well. The other social networking sites ... I have no interest in any of them.

I am on FB and have been for probably 10 years. I mostly use it for keeping up with friends from overseas and reconnecting with people I'd lost contact with. I probably check in there once a week for messages and a quick look around and that's about it. I seldom post pics or information about where I'm at.

I am on Facebook, Twitter, Insagram. I do use Facebook as It is where we transmit our info to the neighborhood HOA on a closed page and i am an admin on that page. Also the President of the HOA. I also \keep up with Classmates and friends as i do not live close to where i lived as a kid.I follow several channels on youtube, Twitter is more Golf related as with Instagram. I stay connected with several golf related channels and then we also communicate between members of a few volunteer groups i belong to. CERT "Community Emergency Response Team" and Also a Civilian Patrol Unit for my Town.

I've been on Facebook for probably 10 years. I use it to keep up with friends, class mates, and family all across the country

I am on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Sometimes I think of getting of Facebook, but I am still there for now.

I get on Facebook for alerting family of big life moments (from Ohio but living in Charleston SC). But that is IT. Other than that it’s exclusively Twitter and a little Instagram.

Facebook is awful, just awful. It’s nothing but (insert extreme political comment here) or (my child has X ailment, what do I do). And my favorite is (look at my kid, they’re 5 months today).

No one wants to see a photo op of your child celebrating every month in their first year. Nobody cares that your kids poop is green. Every political candidate says whatever it takes to get elected, they don’t really care about you.

Lol I know I’m on a rant but Dear Jesus I miss the days when it was a .edu site
What’s funny is I remember when you had to have an edu email address and the moment my school sent me my email signup, I immediately got on Facebook.

I’ve been deactivated for about 3 or 4 years now and don’t miss it at all. Not what it used to be.

Utilize FB yes.....Mostly for groups. And to keep up with many friends I don't see in person that often. Have been on FB 7 years. I held out till then. Visit it a few times a day.

Back