Birdie your first hole, what's your mindset on the next tee

63 still alive

First hole at my home course is pretty easy and the second is the hardest hole on the course so no matter what it’s just hit the fairway. 460 yard par 4 up hill to a small raised green. Bunker on the left and trees on the right short which really forces a great shot in for a real look at bird

@MNMarc Your thoughts? He birdied the first hole of the season today.

I think its primarily focused on making another good shot. Then another. Then another. Then another. A good round is a bunch of great holes. A great round is a lot of good shots.

First hole is a short par 5, downhill drive, wide open fairway, to a huge, easy to hit and easy to putt green, unprotected from the front.
You can birdie it and still be in for a horrific day.
Birdies on any other hole would be more indicative as to how you're playing.

I birdie the very first hole the first time I played. Sliced the next shot into the next fairway.

It’s a super small sample size for me since I’ve done it a grand total of once. In that case, the second hole was a par three over water. My only thought there was, “Don’t hit it in the water”. I hit it in the water.

The last time i remember making birdie on hole #1, I went for a back pin on hole number 2 and had to make a loooonnnggg putt to save an unlikely par.

I'd play it the same way next time. Making birdies is fun!

1st I say something witty like you can’t birdie them if you don’t birdie the first
2nd immediately followed by internal voice saying how the hell did I do that

I might break the course record

*shank*

Or not....

String a few good holes together and play smart! No hero ball

Several years ago i had a streak in which I had birdied the first hole a bunch of times and every time I did that I couldnt break 40 for that 9, so I actually think I developed a phobia of birdieing the first hole of a round.

I generally don't have a mind set. If it was a really awesome birdie I'll generally comment about how I'm 1 under on my round. It usually gets a smile.

"This could be my day."

Shouldn't be the thought, but it most often is.

The only round where I was able to stay completely focused on every single shot was during my PB round.

Wasn't in a zone of any kind, felt like I was grinding, actually. But I was able to demand of myself to remain dedicated to task.

Haven't been able to fend off invading thoughts ever since. Streaks here and there over a few holes but not anything close to an entire round.

I try to stay pretty level most of the time but a birdie on the first hole can only put me in a positive mind set. Unless I have a good warmup I'm not the best starter so a birdie first... I'm pumped but try to maintain control and play smart golf.

These days I will give myself a quick internal fist pump and then move on. Birdies used to be rare for me, and I would get very excited for very short periods ... golf would then pound me back to earth. Birdies have become more prevalent for me, and I try to keep perspective. One shot, hole at a time. As I continue to improve — I hope — I want to keep balanced birdie or double bogey. Every round has ups and downs; play my game through the round through good and bad. I have yet, however, to keep it together that way through a full round. Haha. Trying.

Hey wouldn’t you know I birdied the first hole today.... lol.... i made sure I made note of my mindset on the next tee. Been focusing and working I changing my backswing, to get into better positions, so I focused on the one swing thought I have been working on “ simply turning my back to target” and my next tee shot was a solid draw. Two draws with the driver in a row, pleasantly surprised that the work I have put in is showing some promise. Unfortunately the first hole birdie jinx plagued me all day. No other birdies, even when I drove a short par 4, (three putt). Got to beat the jinx;)

Haha if I make birdie on the first hole, my typical first thought to myself is “f*** me”

I typically havea bad record with rounds/scoring when I birdie the first.

"Carry that 235 yrd. bunker" on the left of a dog leg left hole. 2nd thought " get right of it." :rolleyes:

Ok, you just birdied the first hole of the day. Now you are getting ready to hit your next tee shot. What's your usually mindset (self talk), good or bad. And if bad, how do you want to change it.
I feel like its all downhill from there!
My regular course started with a par 3 so birdie was very possible but #2 was a Par 5 so the good feeling didn't usually last too long.

When you have a 19 handicap and are -1 through the first four holes....

next ones in the brush off the tee guaranteed

Back