How bad does it get? (Covid-19)

Going to the grocery store right now reminds me of when the country was beginning to arm itself and no ammo was found anywhere.

Made a quick stop at Aldi today and it was pure chaos. Not one ounce of meat in the refrigerated section :oops: Was pleasantly surprised to see plenty of milk, eggs, bread etc. May or may not have stocked up on Frosted Cheerios.

I think for many, this was about getting a decent stock for the next couple weeks. We did the same (minus TP and lysol), and honestly it does make me feel a bit better about the situation we're all in.

seemed like it didn't take too long for 'hysteria' to subside.

I can definitely sleep better knowing we have a good stock for the next few weeks. Certainly better to play it safe without getting too extreme.

I can definitely sleep better knowing we have a good stock for the next few weeks. Certainly better to play it safe without getting too extreme.

You can say that again. I spent more on groceries today than I ever have at one time. Figure we'll be holed up in the house, just the wife, 2 kids, and me, for a couple weeks or so.

Yeah man, we didn't do anything crazy. Just went overstock on the things we eat regularly that don't go bad (frozen meatballs, pasta, sauce), just in case.

We also bought a bread maker from Amazon. As much as it might be the biggest knee jerk move we've made, I've wanted to get one for a while. Homemade bread is amazing.

You can say that again. I spent more on groceries today than I ever have at one time. Figure we'll be holed up in the house, just the wife, 2 kids, and me, for a couple weeks or so.

No doubt. I have a baby on the way and the CDC is still unsure of the effects it will have if mom gets it and passes to baby, so we are playing it as safe as possible. Would hate to be selfish and lead to complications later on.

Yeah man, we didn't do anything crazy. Just went overstock on the things we eat regularly that don't go bad (frozen meatballs, pasta, sauce), just in case.

We also bought a bread maker from Amazon. As much as it might be the biggest knee jerk move we've made, I've wanted to get one for a while. Homemade bread is amazing.

That's cool.

And dude...bread makers are a game changer. Simply the smell it brings to the kitchen is enough reason to get one. Nothing better than freshly baked bread with some melting butter 😍

That's cool.

And dude...bread makers are a game changer. Simply the smell it brings to the kitchen is enough reason to get one. Nothing better than freshly baked bread with some melting butter 😍
My mom used to make it for us back when I was in high school, and it's one of my fondest morning memories.

Hoping it brings me back to that. Plus the smell, plus delicious haha

It’s crazy in my area. I typically keep stocked up but went to all the stores in my area and all the essentials are gone. I was hoping to find some TP somewhere just to make sure I don’t run out since everyone has decided it was so valuable.

I also picked up an order today for 30 lbs of chicken from a restaurant distributor today to avoid any crowds. We have a deep freezer in the garage so if we don’t eat it in the next few weeks it will be fine. It’s typically much cheaper per pound this way as well.

My mom used to make it for us back when I was in high school, and it's one of my fondest morning memories.

Hoping it brings me back to that. Plus the smell, plus delicious haha

That's hilarious, I was gonna say the same thing, and was like.. "Hmm, maybe I'll leave my mom out of this one". She would always cook it when we were younger and we would absolutely slam. I am blaming her for my addiction to any type of bread and carbs lol

I think for many, this was about getting a decent stock for the next couple weeks. We did the same (minus TP and lysol), and honestly it does make me feel a bit better about the situation we're all in.

seemed like it didn't take too long for 'hysteria' to subside.

What I found most interesting about my trip to the store: My wife asked me to grab a can of cream of chicken soup for some recipe. I went to the soup section, and everything was gone except a full shelf of the low sodium varieties - proving that people aren't buying things the NEED, they are buying what they want. Which quashes that internal feeling that the hysteria is somehow justified.

This may not be real popular, but I was just wondering if they have given any thought about shutting down Social Media for 8 weeks to help calm the panic. Heck they’re shutting down everything else. Seems to be one of the major sources of misinformation as well as information.

Last edited:
This may not be real popular, but I was just wondering if they have given any thought about shutting down Social Media for 8 weeks to help calm the panic. Heck they’re shutting down everything else. Seems to be one of the major sources of misinformation as well as information.
I'd start with the National media first.

If restaurants must close for their potential to spread the virus, then social media should be shut down for demonstrated viral spread of fear and panic. Unless, of course, the social media go aggressively after offenders during this time and suspend them.

I vote no on giving up the first amendment under any circumstance. Exercise your personal freedom and turn it off.

I vote no on giving up the first amendment under any circumstance. Exercise your personal freedom and turn it off.
Isn’t some of it like yelling “fire” in a movie theater? (Wow, I’m old)
I’m not a fan of ceasing the 1st amendment, nor am I a fan if feeding the hysteria. Strange times we are in right now!

I considered your argument just after I hit "Reply" then considered it again. Then I saw your post. I can see how my post, for one, could be seen as advocating "giving up" the first amendment. I do not advocate giving up the First Amendment, or any of the others, for that matter.

It's the fire in the crowded theater argument. Just as with any rights, First Amendment rights are not without responsibility, in this case not only by those who post but also by those who provide the platform. This is one of those times when the Twitbooks and Facechats of the world should step up and police COVID-related content with more vigilance than normal.

I’m not a fan of ceasing the 1st amendment, nor am I a fan if feeding the hysteria. Strange times we are in right now!

It's the fire in the crowded theater argument.

Old minds, if not great minds, apparently think alike.

Accept your general point but sacrificing freedom is not the answer. Determining who's telling the truth is a slippery slope. I'm sure the Chinese state run newspapers say they're telling the truth. Same goes for Cuba, Iran, Venezuela, etc. Many US media outlets gave up on news years ago.

I considered your argument just after I hit "Reply" then considered it again. Then I saw your post. I can see how my post, for one, could be seen as advocating "giving up" the first amendment. I do not advocate giving up the First Amendment, or any of the others, for that matter.

It's the fire in the crowded theater argument. Just as with any rights, First Amendment rights are not without responsibility, in this case not only by those who post but also by those who provide the platform. This is one of those times when the Twitbooks and Facechats of the world should step up and police COVID-related content with more vigilance than normal.

If someone is sitting in the theater and another person yells FIRE!, then most logical minds accept that you are an unwilling part of a false panic situation where physical harm can occur due to a stampede. If someone is sitting in their living room, driving their car, working, sleeping, etc., etc., and twits are shouting FIRE!, then their immediate physical safety is not in danger. I'm not a lawyer but think that's the general rationale on why you can't yell FIRE! in a movie theater but could on a street corner.

Last edited:

Would be a great time to re-evaluate it to be regulated like a utility. Problem right now is they r private companies and as such are not what you and I would consider social media. It is a private platform that you are agreeing to their rules to use. They can push whatever they want at you, change anything they want, rewrite history if they want, all within their platform. It becomes the greatest power of groupthink influence in the history of mankind. Think about it.

Businesses like Bars and other tourist destinations will be asked to close... I didn’t mean all businesses.

Our governor has declared all non-essential businesses to close here in PA. He wants every business to close. I sent everyone home to work with their computers.

Again just an example article but u get the point. There is no 1st amendment protection in the current form of social media. Curation is not protected by first amendment and content is king. If you post something and they don’t show it to anyone how is that 1st amendment protection. I give ‘shadowbanning’ on Twatter as example of this.

Back