Honesty Time. What Is Your Biggest Weakness While Playing?

Golf is my biggest weakness. I love the game and always have. Through accident and illness I play to about a 15-18 HC. Two years ago I had an official HC of 5, 20 years ago I had a + HC so it can be very frustrating on days when I can’t do anything right. I’ll never take 10ish years off again (mainly due to raising a young family and $$ was why), but it’s frustrating to know you can be so much better than what you are. I still enjoy it, and try to live for those few good shots I have a round and that once or twice a year where I go out and everything clicks and I play close to my former level.

Ok specific to the actual question, putting. I actually have always been ok once I know the line, but I am a horrible green reader. I always have been. Put me on a new course with lots of subtle undulations and I am sometimes hopelessly lost.

Reading greens has been a challenge. I tend not to see the proper break. I have gotten better with distance control but typically there is a break there that I just don't see.
A close second (which also needs my attention) is greens in regulation. I often leave my approach shots in places they shouldn't be :(

40 yards and in.

Iron Distance for sure is my biggest area of concern or weakness in my game. is it indian or arrow... not sure

Without a doubt it's my iron game, it's absolute garbage. I don't know why I can't get that part figured out but it's holding me back so much. The really frustrating part is it used to be a strength of mine.

Over analyzing which causes me to play tight and lots of bad things happen. When I am relaxed and loose my game is so much better. I've tried to develop a routine to keep me loose and it has helped.
^ This, which leads to inconsistency in my ballstriking all through the bag.

Loss of mind-body focus/inconsistency?

I always kind of had that in my athletic/sports pursuits. The occasional disconnect between mind and body. I was a very good pitcher. It's why I gave up golf. I always led my teams in the important pitcher stats, but also consistently led in hbp, wp, and pb. Not all of them intentionally.

In a weird twist of fate I don't think the mental part of that would play as much of a role now, but I fight the physical part WAY more thanks to injury issues. So the end result is the same. The occasional disconnect and what is honestly a pretty horrific shot every now and then for my handicap.

Last edited:
Accuracy with irons. I do not hit enough GIRs. My club path cuts across the ball fairly consistently, for better or worse, but my face angle is all over the place.

Accuracy with irons. I do not hit enough GIRs. My club path cuts across the ball fairly consistently, for better or worse, but my face angle is all over the place.
^^^ this for me for sure. Iron play sucks.

Lack of consistent setup for every shot and not having any sort of pre-shot routine aside from this looks right and going for it.....

I need more consistency with the top of the bag - Fwy/hybrid/long irons. No confidence or consistency. Basically any shot from the fairway longer than about 160 yards.

I'm in the same boat and I'll add topping those shots from time to time as well has been on the increase for me.

Complete lack of confidence. I'm always focused on what not to do, instead of what I want to do.

This one for me. I can’t fake confidence. When history has shown me that more often than not I’m going to hit it into the water right in front of me, I can’t convince myself that THIS is the time I’m going to hit a good shot.

This is where my most frequent playing partner has me beat. As far as physical skills, we’re pretty much evenly matched. He’s got that irrational confidence thing down, though. He can hit 10 bad shots in a row and when he steps up to the 11th one he’s convinced he’s going to hit it just like he wants to. I’m convinced that’s where he beats me.

I'm in the same boat and I'll add topping those shots from time to time as well has been on the increase for me.
Topping or severe shanks are my problem. If I can hit a fwy or hybrid relatively straight and in the air I consider that a win, regardless of how high or far it goes!

my weakness is believing I have any strengths.

Without a doubt it's my iron game, it's absolute garbage. I don't know why I can't get that part figured out but it's holding me back so much. The really frustrating part is it used to be a strength of mine.
You ever think about seeing what a lesson or two might do for you? If you have not already?

All parts of my game seem to come and go, the only thing that is consistent is inconsistency. Sometimes I address the ball convinced that I can hit or roll right it where I want, if I could bottle that feeling I could retire. I guess my biggest weakness is my inability to control my mental attitude.

Last edited:
You ever think about seeing what a lesson or two might do for you? If you have not already?
I've been really close to getting one but my stubbornness keeps getting in the way. I know it needs to happen but I've been self taught my whole life and struggle giving that up.

All parts of my game seem to come and go, the only thing that is consistent is inconsistency.
This, too. Some aspect of my game is usually in good form each time out, I just don't know which one(s) it will be.

GIR. I usually stay near fairway but GIR is 20% at best. I end of near green but almost never on. My usual approach shot is either thin and end in front fringe or pull to left 10-15yds left. I have no confidence in par3.

My chipping and pitch is decent and I don’t 3 putt much. I’m most confident with driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back