Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Man-o-man I had a good time with these yesterday. I wasn't able to switch up shafts or play around with settings but did get to hit al three heads. Definitely loved the Max the best. However, that also was the only one with a stiff Riptide in it at 9° and 10.5° so that also may be a factor in why I was pounding it. The SZ was super fun but the Rogue wasn't quite right for me and the standard had a regular flex Helium in it and while I thought the Helium was awesome the flex wasn't quite right for me. I was hooking that one quite a bit.

I'm thinking it wasn't 2019 that was the year of the driver, it's actually 2020. There is some really, really good stuff out there and this is one of them. That Max may be my new addition...

Picked up the SZ with Rogue White 70X. Can’t wait to get out on the course with it but the weather still isn’t great here and my local courses are waterlogged.

Also have the standard 3 wood - does anyone else have the combo of SZ driver and standard fairway? I see a lot of love for the standard/max combos but not the SZ/standard.

I do.

I wouldn't say my swing or needs are standard in any way, but for me it's a real good combo right now. Goal being to maximize driver distance and use the 3w as more of a fairway club I can control better and land softer.

Last edited:
I do.

I wouldn't say my swing or needs are standard in any way, but for me it's a real good combo right now. Goal being to maximize driver distance and use the 3w as more of a fairway club I can control better and land softer.

That was my thinking too, and I was glad when it worked in fitting/testing.

Can’t wait to see how it works on the course. Switching from an F8+, so the additional cc on the fairway head is very welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got the Mavrik driver, 10.5 degrees.......It launches higher than the Ping G 400.....
So at the driving range, I left the tape on the face, cause the face resembles a bulls-eye.
5 drives, every one is striking at 10:00 on the face, mostly in the circle. (Why can't the club makers design a face so you can see exactly where you strike, every time?)
Maybe the best driver I've tried in 50+ years of trying. It delivered my exact favored shot, a low draw with overspin......and repeated it quite easily. I think Callaway designed a Spectacular driver!

Got the Mavrik driver, 10.5 degrees.......It launches higher than the Ping G 400.....
So at the driving range, I left the tape on the face, cause the face resembles a bulls-eye.
5 drives, every one is striking at 10:00 on the face, mostly in the circle. (Why can't the club makers design a face so you can see exactly where you strike, every time?)
Maybe the best driver I've tried in 50+ years of trying. It delivered my exact favored shot, a low draw with overspin......and repeated it quite easily. I think Callaway designed a Spectacular driver!
The bullseye on the face (at least that's how I see it) is one of the great things about this driver. It gives me a clear picture of how and where to set up to the ball. Love that feature!

Have a question about weights,my Maverick driver is launching a bit higher than expected.would a heavier weight placed in the back help this issue?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

(Why can't the club makers design a face so you can see exactly where you strike, every time?)

With my F9 I’m able to see where almost every strike occurred. I imagine it had to do with the CNC milled face but I could be wrong on that.

Hit the Mav Max and F9 tonight on the Simulator.
On solid strikes both were close to each other in terms of ball speed and distance, however on mishits the Mav Max stood out to me by being able to retain ball speed a bit better than the F9.
I’m also getting exactly what I wanted with the Mav Max, a straighter ball flight and better dispersion. Can’t wait to get this club outdoors and see what it can do on an actual golf course.

Have a question about weights,my Maverick driver is launching a bit higher than expected.would a heavier weight placed in the back help this issue?

Heavier weight in back will increase launch.

I just want to get back out and nuke balls with this setup. Only this time...real balls. Not range balls. Long, low spin exploders off the face. I may have a new funnest club in the bag.

Has anyone compared the spin in the Sub Zero weight back vs. the Standard head? To me if the weight in the SZ is back it should play very similar to the standard head and if that was the case wouldn't you go with the added forgiveness of the Standard? I tried to read as much of the 85 pages of the thread as I could and couldn't really find an answer.

Has anyone compared the spin in the Sub Zero weight back vs. the Standard head? To me if the weight in the SZ is back it should play very similar to the standard head and if that was the case wouldn't you go with the added forgiveness of the Standard? I tried to read as much of the 85 pages of the thread as I could and couldn't really find an answer.
In my testing, the SZ was still appropriately spinning about 200 rpm less than the standard Mavrik. Both heads have measured loft of 10.5° and weigh 203G.

So maybe I'm missing something here but I currently have a Epic Flash SZ driver and I have been looking on both budget golf as well as global golf as I'm trying to pick up a used Epic Flash 3 hybrid. When I'm looking at the site, why is it that the Epic flash 3 hybrid is still more expensive than the Maverik hybrid?

So maybe I'm missing something here but I currently have a Epic Flash SZ driver and I have been looking on both budget golf as well as global golf as I'm trying to pick up a used Epic Flash 3 hybrid. When I'm looking at the site, why is it that the Epic flash 3 hybrid is still more expensive than the Maverik hybrid?

Callaway usually has two lines that are in their current offering. Think of the Mavrik as Rogue replacement, not Epic Flash replacement.

Callaway usually has two lines that are in their current offering. Think of the Mavrik as Rogue replacement, not Epic Flash replacement.
Ah I see. Well then, I'll wait another year for my 3 hybrid purchase! Thanks for clearing that up

Ah I see. Well then, I'll wait another year for my 3 hybrid purchase! Thanks for clearing that up
Also, I believe the Epic Flash is adjustable - the Mavrik hybrid is not.

I just want to get back out and nuke balls with this setup. Only this time...real balls. Not range balls. Long, low spin exploders off the face. I may have a new funnest club in the bag.
It's a blast for sure!

I have a heavier weight in my standard - 10g compared to the normal 4g. I came from the ping g400 max and I prefer heavier heads to feel it through the swing. I’m wondering if a heavier weight in the head will help you. Plus the shape of the standard at address resembles the ping heads to my eye which is why I was drawn to it.

If a more forgiving head is what you are looking for, then the max may have been a better fit. But yeah winter rust is real, definitely give it another try when it warms up.

Have you noticed higher launch with the 10g weight added? I’m thinking of doing the same for a better feeling swing weight and I’m hoping it doesn’t make the ball fly too high.

Have you noticed higher launch with the 10g weight added? I’m thinking of doing the same for a better feeling swing weight and I’m hoping it doesn’t make the ball fly too high.

no it didn’t increase my launch. It pretty much stayed the same! I’ve tried different weights back and forth and the 10g just felt much better for me.

Back