Rules question about chipping/putting a drink in your hand

Vortex

Reaction score
Situation: I’m playing a member-guest tournament. Each flight has 6 teams and the format is 9-hole matches against your pool. The winner of each pool advance to determine the tournament champion.

One team has an interesting character. Some might say he’s a super-Richard.
The serious part of this thread is about chipping/putting rules. Sir Richard (successfully!) putts and chips one-handed while holding a drink in the other hand. Please note, I’d typically cheer a guy on with this talent.
My question is; is he breaking the rules? Is the drink a training aid?

I was going to say illegal, but now I'm not so sure. The rule(s) based on using something that would assist him, right? So in my really old understanding even though I suppose it could be 'unusual equipment' you'd have to argue the drink is assisting him in some way, wouldn't you? I feel like that'd be tough. I have no idea though. That's bizarre. One of the guys that knows the weird rules like the back of their hand will hopefully have a very specific answer to this.

He can make a stroke one handed as long as he's not anchoring the club anywhere above his elbow. If the top of the putter is above the elbow it's an anchored stroke and a 2 stroke penalty. It would be real tough arguing that the drink is a training aid. It would be like holding a cigarette in one hand and putting with the other. I think that's allowed. So holding a drink would be allowed.

I was going to say illegal, but now I'm not so sure. The rule(s) based on using something that would assist him, right? So in my really old understanding even though I suppose it could be 'unusual equipment' you'd have to argue the drink is assisting him in some way, wouldn't you? I feel like that'd be tough. I have no idea though. That's bizarre. One of the guys that knows the weird rules like the back of their hand will hopefully have a very specific answer to this.
Your logic is very similar to mine. I definitely don’t think the drink helps. Richard does it for the attention. It just made me wonder about the rules. By the way, Richard also hits every tee shot with a Happy Gilmore swing and he brings a caddie to the event.

He can make a stroke one handed as long as he's not anchoring the club anywhere above his elbow. If the top of the putter is above the elbow it's an anchored stroke and a 2 stroke penalty. It would be real tough arguing that the drink is a training aid. It would be like holding a cigarette in one hand and putting with the other. I think that's allowed. So holding a drink would be allowed.
Thanks. The cigarette comparison is a great reference point.

The interpretations of the rules allow for holding the flagstick and putting with one hand, as long as you don't steady yourself with the flagstick. Don't see how a drink is any different.

By the way, Richard also hits every tee shot with a Happy Gilmore swing and he brings a caddie to the event.

That would be super annoying

That would be super annoying

Nailed it! As you know from our match, I like to have a good time and see both teams play well. Not with this guy. I hope his Achilles tendon snaps!

Get this...Richard’s partner is a member at Hideway. Hmmmm...new strategy. Just kidding.

Nailed it! As you know from our match, I like to have a good time and see both teams play well. Not with this guy. I hope his Achilles tendon snaps!

Damn son!

Yeah I had a blast in our match. That was so fun

That guy sounds like he’d be fun to play with...at least for a little while.

Mr Vortex/Dave-

Is this question brought up because of the rounds we played last summer? Lol! Hope the apocalypse is treating you well.

Quick edit after reading more-both achilles are fine thank you very much.... ;)

Back