She finally gets it!! Thank you THP!

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
So any of you might or might not have seen me mentioned that my wife showed an interest last summer/fall. Yay. Fun for her. Fun for me. Definitely potential to make golf life easier for me. lol She's played about 8/9 rounds with me now. Mostly nines, a couple full 18. Broke 50 the other day for 9, but 60+ is just as likely. She's a member here @LoveItOldandStiff , but doesn't sign on much, so I share lots of little things with her about people's struggles and how no one hits it how they want to all the time (especially if they're funny stories), how people can play for years and not par 3 straight holes (which she has done), still make an 8 at any time, these guys/gals hit this club this far, etc, etc, and all kinds of other little things people share here because she's an unrelenting perfectionist and seeing my game through her eyes can be a little tough I think. I try to share with her (and everyone here) when I'm struggling too, because everyone does. It's the nature of the game.

So anyway, I'm constantly trying to tell her not to swing out of her shoes. She can actually keep up with my self enforced swing speed if she tries, but I honestly fear for people's lives out there when she does. I've mentioned a time or two how stressful it is playing with a new golfer that can hit 150ish ball speeds in literally ANY direction. When she takes it easy, she hits the ball really well for such a beginner. I've tried to get data on her to show her how it benefits her, but usually she so much as sees a device or camera come out and she starts swinging even harder. She also falls in love with every pretty driver I buy and thinks it's the one for her, even though they obviously (to us) wouldn't suit her well at all. So apparently through all this relaying of information and stories and whatnot from here things sank in enough for her to let me set up a driver for her, instead of one of mine. Let her play with an M3 of mine and a shaft better suited and she liked that, so I picked a Rogue Max Draw version in 13.5*, with a cut down Diamana Limited 55 R shaft. All the club building we talk about on here and that I do as a result probably helped her here too. I told her I've been paying attention to what everyone says here works and doesn't for them, who swing more like her, and tried to make it feel like it was a special one that I was working on. That's it's not all about me out there and on here.

Long story winding to the point, I got it put together a couple days ago and she'd had a long day packing today so I invited her to come to the range to take a break. "You can try your new driver."
I had my own plans to test some clubs because I knew we'd have it to ourselves and could collect our own balls and gps them. So I set up my loaner Mevo+ and before I even hit a shot she said, "Well I want the little one then." Well whatever you wish, my dear. Set it up, told her to take it easy because she'd had a long day and I didn't want her to strain anything. "Let the club do the work."

So here's what she did on 10 swings with the THP-time inspired driver. I didn't delete any, good or bad after, but I was taking super secret notes while she was doing it instead of actually testing my own stuff. And remember it's regular mevo numbers, so whatevs, we can debate that part forever. She was hitting dotted and numbered balls of mine though and it all looked pretty accurate when we collected them. And that little mevo is another thing I wouldn't have anyway without spending time on THP, so cheers to that. Pretty sure it's hers now.

Rogue Max D stats (4).png

Screenshot_20200322-214223_FS  Mevo Golf.jpg

The first one was a beauty, and she was noticeably excited about it, hence the over swing on the next. But she was mostly doing well, and off the tee is where she struggles most. All but two were near dead straight. She got distracted on #5 by a goose flying overhead :rolleyes: and skied it, and her alignment looked off on the next. Looked like she brushed the ground early and caught a toe hook. #2 would have probably been far enough into another fairway to actually play, or lost OB. So 7 out of 10 pretty darn fair, 8 out of 10 in the fairway, and lets say 9 out of 10 playable with her new toy.

After number 10, she said "Okay, I'm done. I love this thing! Show me how good I did!" We talked through them and she was so excited. Kept saying how she didn't even hardly have to swing, and how straight most of them were, and about that goose throwing her off, and then how hungry she was. lol Big kiss, let's eat. Then she wanted me to put it up on the tv tonight so she could see it, and cut it down to the best ones so she could show it to people at work!! *Some of them try to talk to her about golf because they know I golf a lot* I really saw how something finally clicked with her. She saw and felt the results of a club that fit her better, and could see the data in the same way she sees me looking at it and talking ("and talking and talking") about it all the time here.

So honestly I just want to a give a little shout and say thanks to everyone here for sharing their experiences and levity and advice and setups and successes and failures and on and on. I got my game back pretty quick after all those years, but knew nothing about any of the new gear and tech, very little about club building, and certainly nothing in a modern sense about fittings, club data, swing dynamics, etc. This place was like a crash course for me on everything current in golf, and I know today wouldn't have happened without it. I feel like her and I are going to have even more fun out there together going forward, and I'm just totally high on that right now. And really, really grateful.

Last edited:
I feel like her and I are going to have even more fun out there together going forward, and I'm just totally high on that right now. And really, really grateful.
After reading (and loving the whole post) this part stuck out to me the most. That's what its all about! Whether it's with a significant other, a good buddy or someone you just met. Seeing people get as excited about golf as we on here do, is just awesome and makes it even more fun for us! So glad you guys are going to continue having fun together. Thanks a bunch for sharing man, that was awesome to read!

This is such a great post, awesome to see the excitement spreading and passing it on. Good job!

Some great shots there and ❤️ the enthusiasm....should be a fun summer, you’re going to have to set another jar for future golf purchases 😜.

What a great post! Thanks for sharing!

Well said man. I hope my wife starts to love the game as yours is. My wife is still in "I'm good just hitting in the backyard" mode.

Thanks for sharing. Love that she is trying something new, seeing results, and having fun!

That's awesome! Great to see you enjoying time together and finding gear that works for her!

Nice! very cool that she is as excited about it as you are

So awesome!!! Glad she likes to get out and do it with you.

Playing golf with the Gestapo wife is an interesting concept.
Her love of golf is that it gets me out from underfoot.
If I'm not out at least three times a week during the season, she gets pissed.
She likes me to hang out at the club during the winter, and it must not be unusual with wives because lots of the guys are there.

This Covid 19 thing has her really pissed, because the club is closed.

This is awesome and I am very jealous your better half is taking interest. Mine keeps saying she will get way more into it and then it never seems to happen. I think she is just messing with me at this point.

That is awesome. Totally understand the crash course on, well everything golf here on THP. I can definitely see club building in my further as well.

Great to see another wife taking interest in golf. My wife plays golf and she still gets excited on a great swing and ball flight. BTW, my wife gets distracted with animals and birds too. LOL! Just glad she likes golf!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's a great story and it's awesome she's taken an interest!

Great to see another wife taking interest in golf. My wife plays golf and she still gets excited on a great swing and ball flight. BTW, my wife gets distracted with animals and birds too. LOL! Just glad she likes golf!!

OMG, she's such a bird watcher. We have countless feeders, and she has apps to identify them by their singing, takes tons of pictures, etc, etc, etc, It's a lovely part of her, but on course my response of 'yeah, beautiful' usually involves a nudge at the same time because I'm really thinking 'there's people behind us'. She's on this thing right now where she asks me if I need to her to shut up the cardinal, or jay, or squirrel or whatever, when I'm about to putt because a couple weeks ago she shouted 'do you hear that ________?!' while she spins around to try to find it, right as I was trying to hit an eagle putt. My face must have told even more than the words 'I did honey. Tell it to shut up while I'm putting'. :LOL: Gotta love 'em, and love that they golf!

OMG, she's such a bird watcher. We have countless feeders, and she has apps to identify them by their singing, takes tons of pictures, etc, etc, etc, It's a lovely part of her, but on course my response of 'yeah, beautiful' usually involves a nudge at the same time because I'm really thinking 'there's people behind us'. She's on this thing right now where she asks me if I need to her to shut up the cardinal, or jay, or squirrel or whatever, when I'm about to putt because a couple weeks ago she shouted 'do you hear that ________?!' while she spins around to try to find it, right as I was trying to hit an eagle putt. My face must have told even more than the words 'I did honey. Tell it to shut up while I'm putting'. Gotta love 'em, and love that golf!

We have bird feeders for seed and feeders for hummingbirds. We have numerous bird houses in our yard. All over the place. Plus we have an inside/outside cat who brings us a live bird once in a while. Lol! She loves to be outside and she loves golf! Lucky for me!! On the course she is easily distracted by anything that moves. Haha

Love reading this! My wife is not only my best friend, but my golf partner as well. Where it gets dangerous (and expensive) is when she pulls from my bag and falls in love with a club lol

Awesome post man, glad she is enjoying the game and improving her skills! Also, that's a hell of a username she has haha

Back