Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received an email update from our course. Everything but carry-out food and the golf course itself is closed.

No carts.
No proshop.
No facilities I don't think.

Now to discuss with the wife whether golf is even in the cards for me, all things considered.

Just received an email update from our course. Everything but carry-out food and the golf course itself is closed.

No carts.
No proshop.
No facilities I don't think.

Now to discuss with the wife whether golf is even in the cards for me, all things considered.
If I was in your position I would likely stop the golf as well, despite how tough that would be

Jen has started with a cough today so we are both having to self-isolate for the next 7 days based on the guidelines our government has put out

If I was in your position I would likely stop the golf as well, despite how tough that would be

Jen has started with a cough today so we are both having to self-isolate for the next 7 days based on the guidelines our government has put out
Yeah, it's a tough call. Talking with the boys about it right now, there are ways to be safe, but it's more about what my wife is comfortable with, not what I think is fine.

All Virginia schools are CLOSED for the remainder of academic year.

Yeah, it's a tough call. Talking with the boys about it right now, there are ways to be safe, but it's more about what my wife is comfortable with, not what I think is fine.
Conpletely get where you are coming from, and putting the family first is what a lot of other people need to do as well

We have an announcement coming from the government in a couple hours and I wouldn't be surprised to hear it is a compulsory lockdown for the entire country

My wife isn’t comfortable with me going out to golf until it calms down a bit. She trusts me, but doesn’t trust other people who may get me sick and bring it home. She thinks some golfer will sneeze or cough at the tee box and I would be exposed to it as it floats around in the air for a while.

so, golf may be on hold for a bit.

Did they say what their plan is for the kids? How do they get back on track academically? Do seniors graduate?

Did they say what their plan is for the kids? How do they get back on track academically? Do seniors graduate?

The way I understand it... they advance to the next grade, but work will be sent home. If additional testing is needed for graduation, that would be addressed.

“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.”
Called that one. seeing it in the media too.

This was the first time I've heard of a 7 day isolation period, other than a 14 day one, so I looked up the NHS info. Not to rain on your parade, but I think perhaps NHS says you need to isolate for 14 days after your wife's symptoms started? But (presumably as symptoms can be mild) your wife can stop 7 days if no fever develops? Happy to be corrected if I misinterpreted https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/

My friend in Scotland, in a village in Ayreshire, wrote to me today. She says the walkway near them yesterday was as busy as would be Piccadilly Cirtcus on a busy day as folks walked to get to Culzean Country Park. Sounds like Boris's announcement tonight (after a lot of delayed actions) may be very strong.

Are you making this calculation based upon the last time we dealt with Covid-19?

We're in the beginning stages of something that's never happened to any of us.

I don't know how you can make such a statement with confidence.
There are some studies, although difficult to perfectly correlate, that showed over 500,000 deaths were due to medical issues lost from unemployment and finances. Plus, over 10,000 suicides.

So, a global financial crisis will result in many deaths.

There are some studies, although difficult to perfectly correlate, that showed over 500,000 deaths were due to medical issues lost from unemployment and finances. Plus, over 10,000 suicides.

So, a global financial crisis will result in many deaths.
This is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If the government doesn't have this under control before they loosen restrictions, you'll see a flare up of the disease again, and if it overwhelms the healthcare system, you'll have people die because there is nowhere to go for treatment. Hong Kong relaxed a bit and saw their cases bump up, forcing them to severely restrict things again. Either way, markets and businesses are going to suffer. I don't think there is a sure-fire way to avoid significant deaths from either scenario, and I'm afraid toe-ing the line for both will result in a cluster where nothing improves and everything is made worse on both sides.

Gov. Cooper just extended school closings until May 15th! All salons, barber shops, and gyms must close by Wednesday!

Trying to lighten the mood a bit.

Everyone is going to look like this when this is all over. Bad Hair Day

B359AFE8-72AF-43FF-85AA-A7C7656AA3CD.jpeg

This is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If the government doesn't have this under control before they loosen restrictions, you'll see a flare up of the disease again, and if it overwhelms the healthcare system, you'll have people die because there is nowhere to go for treatment. Hong Kong relaxed a bit and saw their cases bump up, forcing them to severely restrict things again. Either way, markets and businesses are going to suffer. I don't think there is a sure-fire way to avoid significant deaths from either scenario, and I'm afraid toe-ing the line for both will result in a cluster where nothing improves and everything is made worse on both sides.

For the places who have been largely able to maintain normalcy, it all comes down to extensive testing, right? If you can keep clusters as clusters, most people can maintain some level of normalcy. The problem we have right now is we literally have no idea what the situation is.

To your point about the hospitals getting overwhelmed: here's also too much of a focus on deaths from/caused by the disease alone - severe illness is a huge problem too. If there's a need for a ton of hospital beds that limits what's available and we basically run at capacity. That can result in increased mortality from other conditions as well. Our medical professionals are going to be overworked, overtired, not have the resources they need, etc. and the level of care is going to decrease.

Gov. Cooper just extended school closings until May 15th! All salons, barber shops, and gyms must close by Wednesday!

Glad I got a haircut a few days ago. All non-essential businesses will close as of noon tomorrow per our governor (Massachusetts).

BC:

3 new deaths (since Saturday morning), 13 total, 10 were residents at Lynn Valley Care Centre

48 new confirmations (since Saturday morning), 472 total, 33 in hospital (14 in ICU), 100 are "fully recovered" up from 5

3,300+ tested per day

Although just 48 new cases were confirmed since Saturday, Henry reiterated that the province is focusing on testing health-care workers, hospital patients, long-term care home residents and outbreak clusters, and that others who have the disease are not included in her confirmed count.

Officials will soon provide numbers on these patients — that is, those who have COVID-19, but were diagnosed by a doctor, not a test, based on their symptoms and possible exposure history.

Dix said the province had freed up more than 1,200 acute-care hospital beds since Friday.

Bed capacity, which would normally be at about 103 per cent this time of year, was at 63 per cent, he said.

Im expecting this ruling to come pretty much everywhere soon.

Hell, the College Board is even talking about allowing open book on the AP exam.

XM reporting the Tokyo Olympics will be postponed, probably until 2021.

The way I understand it... they advance to the next grade, but work will be sent home. If additional testing is needed for graduation, that would be addressed.

The main problem with online classes/work is that not every kid has a computer. One Catholic school in the area is doing online classes/work and gave computers to the kids who didn't have them.

This Twitter thread has me a bit nervous concerning my own situation, as his first couple days pretty much describe my experience the past 2-3 days (I thought it may be allergies, but I’ve never had allergies in the past)

Exactly. But when you have people in power who are lifelong politicians, never had a job their father didnt get them, never run a business never had to meet a payroll, never had a business where other people depend on them for their ability to provide for their family made themselves rich in politics and are gonna get paid no matter what this is what happens.
This. I have a relative who is a government employee (not a politician) and they'll get paid no matter what and they'll have their pension no matter what. It costs our brave leaders nothing to just close everything indefinitely because it doesn't affect them. Who cares if some working mother loses her job, home and life savings, and she and her kids are condemned to life in a shelter living off welfare. Who cares if that guy who sunk everything he had into a small business has his life ruined. They say the Great Recession of 2007 was linked to over 10,000 suicides in the US alone, and that doesn't count how many died because they lost their health insurance or couldn't afford their medication. The number dead due to the significantly larger global recession that will soon be upon us will no doubt surpass those killed by COVID, and it won't just be 80 year-olds with preexisting medical problems, it will be children, small business owners and the working-class people who will make up the majority of those victims. I just hope that when it's all over we have the courage as a nation to objectively look at how we handled this and learn some valuable lessons. It's not much hope but you never know.

For the places who have been largely able to maintain normalcy, it all comes down to extensive testing, right? If you can keep clusters as clusters, most people can maintain some level of normalcy. The problem we have right now is we literally have no idea what the situation is.

To your point about the hospitals getting overwhelmed: here's also too much of a focus on deaths from/caused by the disease alone - severe illness is a huge problem too. If there's a need for a ton of hospital beds that limits what's available and we basically run at capacity. That can result in increased mortality from other conditions as well. Our medical professionals are going to be overworked, overtired, not have the resources they need, etc. and the level of care is going to decrease.

Excellent post. There is more and more talk about testing to confirm some people can return to work. It's encouraging that there were something like 90,000 tests administered in the US, Saturday and Sunday combined.

This Twitter thread has me a bit nervous concerning my own situation, as his first couple days pretty much describe my experience the past 2-3 days (I thought it may be allergies, but I’ve never had allergies in the past)

Then he has an excellent chance of recovery.

This. I have a relative who is a government employee (not a politician) and they'll get paid no matter what and they'll have their pension no matter what. It costs our brave leaders nothing to just close everything indefinitely because it doesn't affect them. Who cares if some working mother loses her job, home and life savings, and she and her kids are condemned to life in a shelter living off welfare. Who cares if that guy who sunk everything he had into a small business has his life ruined. They say the Great Recession of 2007 was linked to over 10,000 suicides in the US alone, and that doesn't count how many died because they lost their health insurance or couldn't afford their medication. The number dead due to the significantly larger global recession that will soon be upon us will no doubt surpass those killed by COVID, and it won't just be 80 year-olds with preexisting medical problems, it will be children, small business owners and the working-class people who will make up the majority of those victims. I just hope that when it's all over we have the courage as a nation to objectively look at how we handled this and learn some valuable lessons. It's not much hope but you never know.

I am less worried about the virus than I am the economic affect on families and the nation. I worry about small businesses; they employ a lot of people. What will happen to all those people who cannot work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back