Sweden’s much less restrictive approach to COVID-19

In the article - "Most Swedes trust that the government has the best interest of society at heart and they will respond to stricter rules,” . As for ski areas, the apres ski scene has been a prime breeding ground for covid-19 spreading, though, I don't recall Sweden as a prime international ski destination. Hopefully, they don't get a bunch of international skiers bringing the virus with them.

Sweden ranks as a top 10 country in the world for ski areas with a population of only 10 million. 18% of Swedes ski and Germany that has over 7 times the population has only a few more ski areas. Over a million skiers are about to hit the ski slopes in Sweden for Easter break so it will be interesting to see if they have a big spike in Covid 19 cases.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 10.58.33 AM.png

Sweden also has a very tight border control, which they made even tighter by restricting all non-EU countries from entering Sweden. This was done 10 days ago. Also Denmark closed its border with Sweden on March 14, so they're taking this seriously also. Even with this, Sweden has over 3700 confirmed cases and 121 deaths.
They say on an average, for every million people there are 250.6 people infected ( don't know how they got that stat.) so you can do the math on Sweden which has a little over 10 million people.

Reactions: JB
In the article - "Most Swedes trust that the government has the best interest of society at heart and they will respond to stricter rules,” . As for ski areas, the apres ski scene has been a prime breeding ground for covid-19 spreading, though, I don't recall Sweden as a prime international ski destination. Hopefully, they don't get a bunch of international skiers bringing the virus with them.

That first sentence is what I keep coming back to. People here don't have a great track record of working together in the best interest of everyone. See the example I mentioned above of clearly sick people coming to work despite a flexible work policy, or the people congregating in parking lots and in huge groups at the beach. You can separate and enjoy these activities, but people aren't - which is why we are where we are.

My friends neighbors have been having parties every few nights for the past week. What do they do? Police officers. So if our civil servants aren't following recommendations, who is going to?

Sweden also has a very tight border control, which they made even tighter by restricting all non-EU countries from entering Sweden. This was done 10 days ago. Also Denmark closed its border with Sweden on March 14, so they're taking this seriously also. Even with this, Sweden has over 3700 confirmed cases and 121 deaths.
They say on an average, for every million people there are 250.6 people infected ( don't know how they got that stat.) so you can do the math on Sweden which has a little over 10 million people.

Way more than 250 people per million in the population are infected. The U.S. has already confirmed 400 cases per million but that number grossly underestimates the number that have it or have already recovered from it.

None of these figures mean much, because of limited testing so far and how it’s being implemented.

I don't have any comments on Sweden in a comparative sense. That will take time to sort out. Virus spread is not even in geographical or temporal senses, and what works or not is impossible to measure right now. But as to ski areas, I believe that is one reason Gallatin County here in Montana has the most number of COVID-19 cases. We get a lot of national and international travel to Big Sky and increasingly to places like the "local ski hill" Bridger Bowl and extraordinary nordic skiing opportunities. The resorts have shut, but we also see parking lot parties among the "up-hill" ski crowd (which was a big part of my life for years). The skiing culture is not fitting well with a global pandemic.

That first sentence is what I keep coming back to. People here don't have a great track record of working together in the best interest of everyone. See the example I mentioned above of clearly sick people coming to work despite a flexible work policy, or the people congregating in parking lots and in huge groups at the beach. You can separate and enjoy these activities, but people aren't - which is why we are where we are.

My friends neighbors have been having parties every few nights for the past week. What do they do? Police officers. So if our civil servants aren't following recommendations, who is going to?

So report them to the Police Chief, Mayor, or whomever made an order in your County if a specific order was made beside the general recs. This is serious stuff, without having first responders putting themselves and others at risk, besides setting an atrocious example.

I can see you (or especially your friends) not wanting to attach your name to it, so you could do it anonymously such as by Google Voice or by setting up a new GMail acct. I'd be pissed having neighbours partying several times in a week anyway, besides the health issue now. They sound like winners.

So report them to the Police Chief, Mayor, or whomever made an order in your County if a specific order was made beside the general recs. This is serious stuff, without having first responders putting themselves and others at risk, besides setting an atrocious example.

I can see you (or especially your friends) not wanting to attach your name to it, so you could do it anonymously such as by Google Voice or by setting up a new GMail acct. I'd be pissed having neighbours partying several times in a week anyway, besides the health issue now. They sound like winners.

I'm pretty sure something was done after the second or third one - I haven't talked to them since to see how that ended though.

I am married to a Swede.....their hard heads naturally prevent the virus....just my theory.....not a medical professional
I take it your wife doesn't read your THP posts Joel! 🤣🤣

I take it your wife doesn't read your THP posts Joel! 🤣🤣
I am married 40 years to a Swedish/ Italian woman, talk about stubborn with a temper...yikes. But a real good cook😎

Back