private clubs charging dues for closed course ?

I totally get where you are coming from. Although I think ISP vs golf membership is a bit different. By that analogy, unless you could play, you don’t pay, including weather.

What if the club said okay no payments for 3 and everybody gets furloughed and go about business. Then 2 weeks later it’s safe to play and open again. Is the club now just a pay to play membership? Or are you paying a yearly fee to be a member broken down into monthly payments
OK....well then how does that make it any different than how it is right now? Course just opened and was closed by the state on Thursday and then reopened today by reversing their course. Restaurant is closed but for takeout. Regardless of whether the weather permits play or not im paying for it and have been for the last X amount of months with zero golf. I guess I just dont see how its different if theres an issue like we are having now and I cant play anyways due to conditions. 🤷‍♂️
I never claimed to have a solution.. Lol. I just don't think it's fair to make that decision without the membership at least being consulted and weighing in. I think there has to be a middle ground where the club does something for the membership since they unilaterally made the call. It is a complicated situation with courses closing and opening like that. I meant more for the states where they've been shut down for an extended period by the governor where it's definitely closed for that time period

I guess we just have different definitions of warmer climates :ROFLMAO:

Lol, indeed.

Anyone who has lived in MN/WI for over 30 years will never understand the winter/down jackets that many Californians and Floridians seem to love when it gets to the low 60’s. I love to play golf in shorts and a golf shirt when it’s 60*!

I never claimed to have a solution.. Lol. I just don't think it's fair to make that decision without the membership at least being consulted and weighing in. I think there has to be a middle ground where the club does something for the membership since they unilaterally made the call. It is a complicated situation with courses closing and opening like that. I meant more for the states where they've been shut down for an extended period by the governor where it's definitely closed for that time period

I dont disagree at all.
I view some of it like this. When I was in CT and in IN I was a member at a club in both places. Some years I got to use the club every month, other times weather prevented that. Nothing changed my dues. :ROFLMAO:

I look at it as if they closed the course for 3 months to re-sod the greens, as they did last summer at my club. We had to pay dues even though we couldn't play. And we also had to pay to play elsewhere. At least that part isn't going to happen. If my club closes, all the rest will, too.

I dont see being a member at a private golf club....."a privilege of the wealthy". Im not wealthy by any means and im quite confident that a decent percentage of members at private clubs decide to make a decision that.....this is what im going to spend my money on. Some people hunt, buy boats, tennis, whatever the hobby is. I know a large % of guys at my club are retired blue collar workers who dont want o play public golf courses. Its NOT a "privilege of the wealthy"
I agree with you Paul, that statement was because someone above said only 10% are club members and have money so could afford it. I know all club members are not wealthy.. I should have been more clear

I agree with you Paul, that statement was because someone above said only 10% are club members and have money so could afford it. I know all club members are not wealthy.. I should have been more clear
lol.....look i would be thrilled if they told us, no need to pay your dues due to this bs. However, personally im also ok with paying them. If anything the course is going to be in phenomenal condition this year. I was more than thrilled when the CEO or Arcis emailed everyone and said we would all be receiving a dues credit to use inside the club before November. I also think that if the club was owned by the membership, we may have the attitude to suspend dues by voting. When its corporately owned......no dice.

lol.....look i would be thrilled if they told us, no need to pay your dues due to this bs. However, personally im also ok with paying them. If anything the course is going to be in phenomenal condition this year. I was more than thrilled when the CEO or Arcis emailed everyone and said we would all be receiving a dues credit to use inside the club before November. I also think that if the club was owned by the membership, we may have the attitude to suspend dues by voting. When its corporately owned......no dice.
That makes complete sense and it sounds like your CEO is trying to do something for the membership with that credit which is a solid gesture

Back