Best place to live, 2020 edition

GoldenBuff

slow horse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Where’s your ideal place to live in a transformed world post COVID-19? What’s driving your choice: golf, weather, health security, employment, family, birds of a feather, etc.? Or are you there?

Dunseith North Dakota
Located north central, 10 mile from Canada, rural, miles and miles from any coast any big city, close enough to Canada if you needed to hop the boarder to get out of the US you could.

Still Texas outside of dfw/Houston/Austin.

Combination of numerous factors. Family and occupation likely 1 and 2.

Utah would be pretty high too.

Right here in my current home. This is my home office view. That flag is hole 14's green. The grass between my yard and that evergreen is hole 17 (par 3 with tee boxes left of this photo and green to the right). I have golfed a few holes every single day. Also this house has plenty of space for our family to gather and also scatter so it's been a great place to quarantined.

15857456383733875480700585427919.jpg

Ideally I would like to live somewhere a bit more temperate but it will be driven by where my kids wind up in the next 5-10 years. For now we will likely stay put although in the next 5 years we may sell our primary home and move to our beach home (only about an hour away) once my wife stops working.

Florida for us...it's been our destination of choice for quite some time now.

I love living in North Carolina. Three hours to the beach. A couple of hours to the mountains. Great quality of life. Plenty of golf. Nice people.

northern Wisconsin Summer/Fall, wintering in NE Florida.

We have both our retirement spots locked down. Naples Florida from Halloween through about Memorial Day and northern Minnesota for the other 165 days. A big part of the appeal is we both love water and being outside much of the daylight hours. We will be mostly in 70-85* weather for the entire year wich is ideal for our hobbies of golf, boating, and outdoor exercise. We both love sitting on the beach and/or taking a sunset cruise in the boat a couple of hours each day. We also love the people in Minnesota and the fact that Minneapolis is just 2 hours away if my wife needs her shopping or city fix or just to visit friends or family. Our youngest is in high school so just three more Minnesota winters to survive!:)

I hope we have a lot of these sunsets and sunrises left to enjoy with family and friends! The first one is from February with my youngest and I enjoying another sunset and the other is just a few weeks later of a winter sunrise.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 9.19.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 9.19.44 AM.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 9.21.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 9.21.42 AM.png
    370.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
A good friend essentially packed up his academic and research career for a family life on a 46' catamaran. He, his wife, and their 3 kids have lived on a boat on the move now for several years. He might win for best place to live. Right now I believe they in and around New Zealand. If anyone is interesting, they have a fun but not up-to-date blog here: https://www.svcountingstars.net

img-5059_orig.jpg

Still Texas outside of dfw/Houston/Austin.

Combination of numerous factors. Family and occupation likely 1 and 2.

Utah would be pretty high too.

Not sure how this happened, but I've never been to Texas. My high school best friend lives in Houston. He's frustrated that I haven't visited him yet. I love the look of some of the landscapes.

I love living in North Carolina. Three hours to the beach. A couple of hours to the mountains. Great quality of life. Plenty of golf. Nice people.
This was a strong second for me. I went to college south of Raleigh & enjoyed the fact I could have beaches or mountains with a short drive.

We have both our retirement spots locked down. Naples Florida from Halloween through about Memorial Day and northern Minnesota for the other 165 days. A big part of the appeal is we both love water and being outside much of the daylight hours. We will be mostly in 70-85* weather for the entire year wich is ideal for our hobbies of golf, boating, and outdoor exercise. We both love sitting on the beach and/or taking a sunset cruise in the boat a couple of hours each day. We also love the people in Minnesota and the fact that Minneapolis is just 2 hours away if my wife needs her shopping or city fix or just to visit friends or family. Our youngest is in high school so just three more Minnesota winters to survive!:)

I hope we have a lot of these sunsets and sunrises left to enjoy with family and friends! The first one is from February with my youngest and I enjoying another sunset and the other is just a few weeks later of a winter sunrise.
Those views are fantastic! Great to be able to spend time with family relaxing and just enjoying nature.

HAWAII. I have no family west of Pennsylvania, but I am making every effort to convince my wife it’s the place to be (eventually).

Florida for us...it's been our destination of choice for quite some time now.

I regularly spent time in Florida mostly in the Jenson Beach to Palm Beach area. A couple of friends lived there, and I would visit frequently. But for some reason I have a block against Florida. It was a fun place to visit, but nothing ever said to me come live here. Honestly I don't know why.

A good friend essentially packed up his academic and research career for a family life on a 46' catamaran. He, his wife, and their 3 kids have lived on a boat on the move now for several years. He might win for best place to live. Right now I believe they in and around New Zealand. If anyone is interesting, they have a fun but not up-to-date blog here: https://www.svcountingstars.net

Looks amazing. I could live on a boat but it would never fly with my wife. The best I can do for retirement is live on a lake in MN and the Gulf in Florida and put hopefully about 800 hours of run time on the engines each year. She's not opposed to being on a boat for a week straight but likes to have a place to sleep that's not moving.

northern Wisconsin Summer/Fall, wintering in NE Florida.

Love northern Wisconsin. Multiple locations, moving for the best of seasons is smart. We've thought of that. Bozeman can be epic in the summer, but our winter pursuits have waned. I know several here who winter in Arizona. That's appealing.

Looks amazing. I could live on a boat but it would never fly with my wife. The best I can do for retirement is live on a lake in MN and the Gulf in Florida and put hopefully about 800 hours of run time on the engines each year. She's not opposed to being on a boat for a week straight but likes to have a place to sleep that's not moving.

I don't know how he is making this happen, but it is an amazing family transformation. Doing this with the kids is remarkable.

If it weren't for politics and taxes, San Diego would be my choice.
Why?
1. Weather
2. Golf all year
3. Ocean
4. Did I say weather?

We left Mexico to move back to Houston so we could care for my in-laws (cancer and other health issues). Before the virus, we would spend every evening with them and could help out with various things. Now we're stuck in Houston and can't even see our in-laws as the doctors have them quarantined from everyone.

My friends back in Mexico are social distancing and taking sensible precautions, but they aren't on lockdown. It would sure be nice to have our Sea of Cortez views each morning, get out for our beautiful walks again and yes, even go out to eat again!

At some point we'll move back to Mexico permanently (assuming the whole worldwide economic system hasn't **** the bed...), but I sure wish we were there now during this COVID crisis.

If it weren't for politics and taxes, San Diego would be my choice.
Why?
1. Weather
2. Golf all year
3. Ocean
4. Did I say weather?

Yeah, California is fun to visit, but wouldn't consider living there. Shame that after driving their state into the ground Californians are fleeing to Texas and trying to bring the same policies they are running from with them.

Somewhere warm. I’m close enough to retirement to be considering this. Currently, I get down to the Tampa area 5-6 times a year. I’ll likely end up spending the winter somewhere in Florida. Golf is a plus, but just avoiding winter is enough for me.

Back