Augusta National Golf Club - Holes 7-9 THP style

MWard

I do not play well with others
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello friends!

How did you enjoy the bloodbath that is holes 1-6? Everyone still having a good time? Good. Cause the green complexes get a little more difficult from here on out.

index.php

Hole 7: Pampas. 450yds tournament, 330yds member

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, quality is trash on that one. No one has a good photo that I can actually use of the green complex. Anyway, for the professional, this is a tricky tee shot as it's a pretty narrow fairway that requires a very straight and long tee shot. Miss a little left or right, you could have tree trouble. Once the trouble of the tee shot ends, then you have your approach shot into an uphill green where spin control is absurdly critical. Given the Sunday pin placement being in that bowl, you have a multitude of options to really wreck your score. You can put it short sided into the bunkers and hope you can spin it enough to use the slope to bring it back to the hole, yet keep it on the green, you can hit it on top of the ridge and well, bless your heart. Or, you can play the perfect second shot that gives you both enough distance control to hit your number, and enough spin control to have the slope help you instead of harm you. Good luck!

Masters Moment: Years before the idea of lengthening courses to increase their difficulty or "Tiger-proofing" took hold with Woods' dominance, Byron Nelson shattered course expectations when he drove the green on the par-4 No. 7 in 1937. Nelson would go on to birdie the hole, win the tournament. The next year, Augusta moved the green 20 yards back and surrounded it with bunkers to prevent Nelson from getting another shot at an easy birdie.

Hole 8: Yellow Jasmine. 570yds professional, 480yds member.

04_big.jpg

As much fun as hole 2 was going down the hill, this hole is the opposite. It's basically all up hill. From the back of this teebox, it's 268 uphill to the front of this teebox, and 315 to fly it. 8yds of uphill just on the teebox, so it's going to take a mammoth drive to fly it. Don't have that in the bag? Plenty of room short, and make it a true three shot par 5. Want to be sorta aggressive sorta not? Try and put it between the left side of the fairway and bunker. It's about 30 yards wide at its largest, so it's not impossible. The hard decision is whether to lay up to a full wedge, get it as far as you can down the fairway for a flip wedge shot, or try and go for it in two. From the bunker complex, it's 50 feet uphill. Going for it in two is essentially telling yourself you can hit a shot far enough and high enough that it can land and stay on the roof of a building over 4.6 stories tall, or you know that the closer you can get to it, the better odds you have of making a solid up and down for birdie, or a good enough par. In 2019, it averaged towards the bottom sixth as easiest holes on the course every day. Sunday's back center pin produced 1 eagle, 29 birdies, 32 pars, and 3 bogeys.

Masters Moments: Because it's a par 5, I have to go with Double Eagles since that is an absurdly impressive shot on this par 5. There has been 1 in history, and it was back in 1967 by Bruce Devlin.

Devlin hit a 4-wood for his second shot from 248 yards, and watched it roll in, calling it a "perfect golf shot."

"It hit on the front of the green, rolled right around the corner and went right in the hole. I could understand it if the flag was in the middle of the green, but it’s almost impossible to get a wedge up there."

Hole 9: Carolina Cherry. 460yds tournament, 395yds members

Screen-Shot-2017-04-03-at-15.24.46.png

For the professionals, this is one of those looks can be deceiving things. That tee shot through the trees looks tight. It is to an extent, but your ball is way over that pinch of trees by the time it's there. A 50ft drop from tee to fairway then leads to the one of the most precision filled shots on the entire course. A 30ft uphill second shot into a three tiered green where your distance control may be arguably the most tested on this very shot. With the 2019 pin placement, anything hole high and right of the pin is the safe shot. The putt won't be too bad, and you're probably not gonna putt it off the green. If you feel the need to get aggressive, you'll bring the risk of too long into play and have to contend with a green speed that may be near impossible to keep it on the green, or you'll spin it too much and bring it down the false front and find yourself at the mercy of how far down the slope your ball will roll.

A look at the yardage book below can give you some idea of what the professional is looking at. While this is from 2017, so the safe place to putt from is actually flipped from where it is in 2019, the green slopes are not. The longer the line, the more severe the angle of slope to content with.

C8-tr-WVYAEV22R

Masters moments: This one is pure bias, admittedly. This hole has had birdies that mounted the charge to the infamous second nine birdie runs, and bogeys that have brought many a competitor's wheels off going into the thick of things come Sunday afternoon. I've been saving my Tiger Woods Masters moments, but I think I'm gonna use it here, from 2019. Using the same green yardage book with a little 2019 updating, the black dot is in the "artist's rendition" of where the pin was located. The beginning of the red line is where Tiger had to putt from. I know it's not flashy, it doesn't involve some crazy holeout for eagle or a miraculous chip in, but it shows an absurd amount of touch and control. How it didn't stop on one ridge, or gather too much speed and run off the front of the green, I still have no idea. It may IMO be right up there with one of the best shots he's ever hit on property, and it didn't even go in.

1586405519930.png

Last edited:
Fascinating holes Wardy! 7 green may be one of my favorites. That Sunday pin has a few approach shot burn by the hole for a deuce. 9th green may have been built on an ice skating ring tilting from top to bottom. Great 3 holes here!

Fascinating holes Wardy! 7 green may be one of my favorites. That Sunday pin has a few approach shot burn by the hole for a deuce. 9th green may have been built on an ice skating ring tilting from top to bottom. Great 3 holes here!

That Sunday pin, you can make a 6 as easily as you can make a 2. You look at it in person and you think to yourself, "my goodness, this green is just absurd. It's almost not even fair" yet it's actually pretty fair where they put the pins. Bad approach shots get punished, good shots get rewarded.

That Sunday pin, you can make a 6 as easily as you can make a 2. You look at it in person and you think to yourself, "my goodness, this green is just absurd. It's almost not even fair" yet it's actually pretty fair where they put the pins. Bad approach shots get punished, good shots get rewarded.

The fairway looks about 7 yards wide w/ the tree line on both sides of the hole. Hitting the fairways is a must!

That 9th green is straight up dirt ******* NASTY

if you have to chip from above you might as well just pitch it off the green because that's where you're going to end up anyways

#7 Pampas would definitely see me visiting the beach! #9 Carolina Cherry does not set up for my fade off the tee..... my only hope is I could make a par on #8 Jasmine.... yellow otherwise, I'm like 11 over after 9 minimum!

Pretty cool side note behind the 7th green. There is a little hill/mound off to the side where you can see 4 holes of action all at once. The 2nd green, 3rd tee shots, 7th green & 8th tee shots. And you only have to move your head. Nothing like it anywhere else.

Pretty cool side note behind the 7th green. There is a little hill/mound off to the side where you can see 4 holes of action all at once. The 2nd green, 3rd tee shots, 7th green & 8th tee shots. And you only have to move your head. Nothing like it anywhere else.

Few holes like that haha. I do like seeing 6, 15 approach, 16, 7 and sometimes 17 tee shots all from 6 tee.

If you stood at the top of the grandstands, you could maybe see 17 green and maybe 18 tee shot too no? They're in that vicinity.

I do wish there were photos of 5 and 17 green in person. They. Are. Absurd.

Really like these flyovers but as an option would be neat if they could do the entire flyover from day 6’ off the ground as if you were walking so you could get a better appreciation of the elevation changes. I have never been to Augusta but have many friends that have and they all say the ups and downs don’t show on the broadcast very well.

Great look at these holes Mward.

#7 this is a definite 3w hole no matter how good the driver is that day... I'm taking a wedge out next and going to the center of the green to take front bunkers out of play
#8 this is going to play a true 5 for my bag... A couple of tight shoots that look treacherous if you spray the ball like me. Driver ends short of bunker and hopefully left. 4 iron and then wedge to get me to the green...
#9 going driver and then hybrid to get it as close as possible or fly the green. Flip a wedge at the flag. This looks like a bogey+ hole for me.

#7 im going 3 wood off the tee to 230, with a 100 yard sand wedge into the middle of the green, 2 putt par.
#8 im going to hit a nice easy driver off the tee box to a slight uphill fairway, left side short of the trap, second shot im hitting a 4 (23*) hybrid short of the green right side, third shot 20 yard chip to the pin, 1 putt birdie! :eek:
#9 im going with driver off the tee box down the left side, second shot 7 iron into a three tiered uphill green, 2 putt par.

Again from the Members Tees: On 7 a good tee shot would leave a short iron or wedge. 2nd shot would need to carry bunkers. I would try to hit it beyond the hole and have the slope feed it down. In reality, I would probably leave it short in the front bunker. So a bogey is probable.

8 will be a 3 shot par 5 with the 3rd shot being less than 100 yards. Hopefully, I would hit the green in 3 and 2 putt for par.

On 9, a good drive will put me down the hill but that second shot from a possible downhill lie to an elevated green that slopes severely from back to front. I would try to keep the ball below the hole, hoping to squeeze out a bogey.

Hole 7: From the members tees at 300 yards, this should be an absolute wheelhouse hole for me. 3 wood then 54 degree wedge. 2 putt par. From tournament tees, not so much.

Hole 8: With the hole being all uphill and my inability to hit high, towering drives that carry for miles, I would definitely play it as a 3 shot hole and try to set up about a 90 yard approach. Driver, 5 wood, 54 degree wedge. 2 putt par.

Hole 9: I would almost certainly be in amongst the trees left of the fairway to avoid getting blocked out on the right with my inability to fade the ball on command. Most likely played would be getting it out of the trees short of the green then getting the chip shot somewhere near the hole and probably a 2 putt for bogey.

Hole 7, I'm taking probably a 5i off the tee and just giving myself a wedge I can punch into that slope and hope for the best. I'm estatic with a 4 here.

Hole 8, the tee box is hidden in the shadows of that lone clumping of trees for those following along at home. It's 220 uphill to take the bunker out of play. I'm taking driver right over it and just swinging hard. I'm assuming up hill, I probably hit it about 240? Should leave me about 230 into that uphill green. I'll hit 21 degree fairway probably way too high, get no roll out when it lands, have a tricky pitch that I'll put to like 15ft and not make the putt. I'm amazing.

Hole 9: There is a lot of room through the fairway between 9 and 18, so I'm not worried about having a bad angle per se. Driver or 3w off the tee, depending on wind. I just don't want to be in the trees. The next shot... Oh boy. No matter what yardage I have after elevation factored in, I'm adding about 7-8 to it as the playable number. I want as much backstop as I can get. So if it's downwind, adjust to still hit that adjusted number. Into the wind, that's middle slope is now my back of the green. Anything over that and I'm probably hitting my fourth from off the green. I'm just hoping for a 4, likely making a 5.

+8 through 6 holes so far.

#7 - 330 yds - Driver off the tee, and we will keep this one in the fairway (for once). Leaves 100 yds in. Tricky pin placement, play safe and go for the middle of the green. PW in. 3 putt bogey. +9 through 7.

#8 - 480 yds - Driver off the tee rolls out to 230 leaving 250 into the green.... ouch. 7 iron approach leaves 100 into the pin. Take a 9 iron for the approach to hopefully have enough to get to the pin. 2 putts. Did we just par a hole? Maybe. Lets say yes. +9 through 8.

#9 - 395 yds - Gonna try and play safer here, avoid the trees to the right. Driving iron off the tee goes 210 here, leaving 185 in. Not great, but we didn't plan on hitting it in two anyways. 7 iron travels 150, leaving another 45 yard in. Not ideal, but better than dealing with the trees at any point.
Pitch on, 3 putts. Double bogey. +11 through 9.

Am I upset about the score so far? Certainly not. I can be at that score on normal courses here on any given day, so perfectly happy with that at Augusta.

Bring on the back nine!

would love to hear more from folks on the front 9. If you've played these holes in your mind and have been following along so far, give us some of your thoughts as you get ready to hit the back 9.

Tiger’s tear that started here is ridiculous when looking at these holes

right? Although if he was with Butch he clearly would have made it to 8 straight birdies :alien:

It was tough to not include that, but man.. Some of the moments that have happened on these holes is tough to choose from. Good luck @ddec with 11 and 12. I think I know how you could lean on 11? But 12? So many to choose from.

It was tough to not include that, but man.. Some of the moments that have happened on these holes is tough to choose from. Good luck @ddec with 11 and 12. I think I know how you could lean on 11? But 12? So many to choose from.

I may have to have an honorable mention part.

I may have to have an honorable mention part.

I don't blame you. I have my 13th with little argument. 15th I'm 99% sure of. 14? I have like 3 I can choose from.

Thanks for posting these, I'm really enjoying learning more about the course and strategy. Amazing the difference between the pro and amateur tees.

**Assuming I would be playing from the member tee's & my tee shot would be in the 245-255 range**

Sitting at +4 thru 6 and licking my wounds, finishing out the front 9 with minimal damage is my approach. By now I should have a feel for the speed of the greens and begin to understand the nuances.

7 Pampas - This is a pretty intimidating tee shot for a 330 yd par 4. I am pretty accurate off the tee so I am guessing a 100-80 yd 2nd shot is what I would be looking at. Given the pin placement and how the greens are guarded I would be aiming for the center of the green and figure out my putt from there. I would hope a par would be the result, but it's Augusta and nerves come into play, so prob another bogey. +5 Thru 7

8 Yellow Jasmine - The play would just to get a drive as far down as I could. I am guessing my 2nd shot would be in the 230-220 range and I don't have a club in the bag to get it there normally, much less uphill. So out comes the trusty HW and get me to a 40-50 yd wedge shot. 3rd shot would be a 1/2 54* straight at the pin. I would like to think birdie is a realistic shot here, but par is the most likely outcome. +5 thru 8

9 Carolina Cherry - This tee shot require a big draw that I don't have. The play here for me will be to play my normal fade and hope the trees to the right dont block my 2nd shot. the 2nd shot would be in the 145-135 yd range so I would go with an 8i and aim for the middle to middle right of the green. Given the pin placement and my left to right ball flight I would expect to be around the hole. Looking at birdie, given how this green slopes and my erratic iron play, par would be expected, and bogey would be a higher probability. +6 thur 9

The front 9 would be a great introduction into these hallowed grounds. I probably gave myself more credit than I deserved, but if I am playing good golf, +6 after 9 would be amazing and I would feel really good about myself. If I had to guess and take into account nerves a +10 here wouldn't be out of the question either.

My mindset would be off to the back 9, soak it in and have some fun. The score isn't going to rob me of the experience.

Back