Best stretch of holes in golf

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
If you have been following what @MWard and I have been doing this week with Augusta National, first off thank you. Second, there is some good conversation in there about how certain stretches of the course are so damn good. I contend that the stretch of 10 through 13 might be the best 4-hole stretch of golf in the world. But there are surely plenty of great options out there. So I ask you, what do you think are some of the best stretches of golf holes that you've seen/played. Don't be shy about adding some local tracks too, I'd love to see what's out there.

I would say Amen Corner is in a league of its own. Which is funny, because 15 and 16 really deserve their own run but 14 isn't overly a nightmare unless you're on the wrong tier, and 17 has been made visually easier with the loss of the Eisenhower Tree.

16-18 at TPC Sawgrass isn't bad, with the real weight being on 17 and 18.

Pebble 6,7,8 is pretty spectacular in its own right.

PGA National 15-18 is a hard, hard test of golf since it's never not windy down there, so you're constantly second guessing your club selections.

Copperhead's 16-18 is another hard test of golf for the same reason, not to mention that 16th hole is just mean. You need both distance control and accuracy since too long puts you in the trees, and short right is splashing.

The horrible horseshoe at Colonial is another great little three hole stretch of challenging golf.

Man, there are a lot more of these than I thought there would be.

That I have played I will list 2 different ones.

16-18 at TPC Sawgrass. Amazing set of holes. And you get 1 type of each hole, par 5, par 3, par 4.

Lesser known, holes 11-13 at Arcadia Bluffs. Beautiful par 5 curving down to Lake Michigan, then a gorgeous par 4 right along the bluffs over the lake, and then finally a diabolical long par 3 over a gorge, and still along the water. https://arcadiabluffs.com/the-bluffs/hole-11

• Staff

Right? I think it's a topic thats more than just saying, yes. So many good stretches out there.

Right? I think it's a topic thats more than just saying, yes. So many good stretches out there.

There really are. Carnoustie has a stretch with Hogan’s Alley but I just don’t know that course enough to know where to start it in there. I’m pretty awful with the Open rota courses.

I would say Amen Corner is in a league of its own. Which is funny, because 15 and 16 really deserve their own run but 14 isn't overly a nightmare unless you're on the wrong tier, and 17 has been made visually easier with the loss of the Eisenhower Tree.

16-18 at TPC Sawgrass isn't bad, with the real weight being on 17 and 18.

Pebble 6,7,8 is pretty spectacular in its own right.

PGA National 15-18 is a hard, hard test of golf since it's never not windy down there, so you're constantly second guessing your club selections.

Copperhead's 16-18 is another hard test of golf for the same reason, not to mention that 16th hole is just mean. You need both distance control and accuracy since too long puts you in the trees, and short right is splashing.

The horrible horseshoe at Colonial is another great little three hole stretch of challenging golf.

Amen Corner is stunning. But best 4-hole stretch (assuming 10-13)? Yes, could be. Others:

Pebble 6-9
Cypress Point 14-17
Bethpage 4-7
Sawgrass 15-18
St. Andrews 15-18
Any 4 at Pine Valley but probably 4-7

Outside of the obvious I would take The Green Mile at Quail Hollow. The last hole is a big problem with the creek going up the whole left side.17 and 16 are very tough too. I think it will gain attnetion when The Presidents Cup is played there in 2021.

I'll go with Amen Corner, but The Bear Trap is a great set.

Marion 16-17-18
Where Hogan hit a 1 iron from the fairway....
Ledgendary.

Amen Corner is stunning. But best 4-hole stretch (assuming 10-13)? Yes, could be. Others:

Pebble 6-9
Cypress Point 14-17
Bethpage 4-7
Sawgrass 15-18
St. Andrews 15-18
Any 4 at Pine Valley but probably 4-7
THAT is a great list!

Lots of good stuff here. I was going to mention the Bear Trap(y)

From a tournament watching point of view, not scenery, TPC Scottsdale 16-18 is pretty solid. Not the best but solid. Lots of scoring opportunities but lots of trouble to deal with as well.

15 (maybe) - Reachable par 5 with water off the tee and a water carry onto the green.
16 - Made for TV hole that is a lot of fun. When the tournament isn't there it is a boring par 3.
17 - Short par 4. Water penalizes bad shots. Great recoveries over the last few years. Lots of drama
18 - stolen church pews, drive over water, risk/reward. A fun finishing hole.

Back