Augusta National Golf Club - Holes 10-12 THP style

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
If you are a fan of The Masters, unquestionably you have come across the phrase “The Masters doesn’t start until the back nine on Sunday.” The second nine, as it is so eloquently referred to on the grounds of Augusta National, always sets up for such perfect theater as some of the most iconic holes in golf are featured here.

In case you have missed what we have covered so far, here are the links to the other threads.

Holes 1-3 https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...tional-golf-club-holes-1-3-thp-style.8917361/

Holes 4-6 https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...tional-golf-club-holes-4-6-thp-style.8917412/

Holes 7-9 https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...tional-golf-club-holes-7-9-thp-style.8917455/

And as we have been doing every day, here is the final round pin sheet from 2019.

index.php

10: Camellia

2019-masters-augusta-national-golf-club-adds-additional-40-yards-to-fifth-hole.jpg

Par 4
Tournament Tees: 495
Member Tees: 450

In my opinion, number 10 Camellia is one of the prettiest holes on the golf course. In the very early days of the course, it was played as hole #1, that changed in 1935 when the nines were flipped. From the tee box, the perfect shot shape is a ball that moves right to left. If a player can hit the ball far enough, they can expect to get plenty of roll that will help shorten this hole. Earlier in the week, @MWard mentioned how television coverage doesn't always illustrate just how much elevation change there is on this property. From the tee box to the lowest part of the fairway is a staggering drop of over 100 feet. Out of reach from the tee is a 60-yard long bunker that sits in the middle of the fairway. It used to guard the original green, but now it is there mostly for looks and goes virtually untouched. Tee shots favoring the left side of the fairway will give players the flatter lie. It is here where Augusta National shows that a player will need every shot in the bag to win here because after hitting a big draw off the tee, the shot to play to into this green is a left to right fade(for a righty). The main reason for wanting a fade is because of the tilt of the green, which is higher on the right side. During rounds, when the pin is on the right side of the green, the greenside bunker sets up an extremely challenging up and down. Missing short or left will leave players with an uphill pitch shot.

Masters Memories: We are getting to the part of the course where selecting just one memory is becoming difficult. The 2014 Masters tournament was pushed to a sudden-death playoff between Bubba Watson and Louis Oosthuizen. After driving the ball through the fairway and into the right trees, Watson's chances of donning the Green Jacket appeared to be slim. Surrounded by trees, Bubba did what he does best, move the ball in ways that people can only dream. From 144 yards, he hit a massive 40-yard hook with a 52-degree wedge to within 15 feet of the hole. Two putts later, Bubba Watson was your Masters Champion.

11: White Dogwood

MASTERS%20hole11.JPG_1514747.jpg

Par 4
Tournament Tees: 505
Members Tees: 400

Here we go, folks! We have made it to the beginning of Amen Corner. Over time this hole has shown to be the 2nd most challenging hole on the course. Strategically, a player should be looking to hit a fade off of this tee, while trying to avoid the trees on the right-hand side. There is more room on the left side of the fairway; however, that angle could bring the small pond that sits left of the green in to play. As a whole, the elevation change from tee to green on White Dogwood is more than 60 feet, therefore hitting your approach from an elevated fairway means making sure you properly adjust your club selection. Only one bunker is featured around this green, and that is in the back-end, which means that playing for a friendly bounce to a front pin is possible. Be aware, though, that everything short of the green, and right of the green, kicks towards the pond. We have seen plenty of highlights of shots that landed just right of the green, only to get a big bounce and end up in the water. Finding the green is only half the battle on this course as it generally seems to be one of the fastest putting surfaces on the course. Based on the pin sheet above, anything above, or to the right of that hole location is going to be a speedy downhill putt.

Masters Memory: By birdieing the 72nd hole, Larry Mize had earned his way into a three-way playoff with Seve Ballesteros and Greg Norman. Mize had a chance to win on the 10th but missed a birdie putt from inside 12 feet. After three-putting, Seve had been eliminated. On hole 11, Mize had blocked his 5-iron approach to the way right of the green from about 194 yards. With Greg Norman on the edge of the green and looking he was in the driver's seat, Mize hit the shot of his life. Pulling his sand wedge, he hit one of the most memorable shots in golf history. From over 100 feet away, the ball got to the green, gained plenty of speed, was tracking the hole, and then bang, it dropped for a birdie. When Norman failed to make his birdie putt, Larry Mize, the Augusta native, had won the 1987 Masters.

12: Golden Bell

golden_bell.jpg

Par 3
Tournament Tees: 155
Member Tees: 145

One of the most famous par 3’s in the world. It looks so gentle, but yet has caused a lot of heartaches on Masters Sunday. Whereas the green of #1 is the highest point of the course, #12 Golden Bell sits at the lowest part of the property. From the elevated tee box, golfers will see a narrow green that runs away from them from right to left. Two bunkers protect the green on the backside, and a deep one sits right in the front. Out of the three, the front bunker is the better miss. We talk about swirling winds in other areas of the golf course, well this area of the course kicks that up a notch. There are times when you are looking at the 11th green flag and the 12th green flag, and they are blowing in opposite directions. During the final round of the 2019 Masters, this hole played as the most difficult on the course.

As you can see from the yardage, this is the shortest par three on the property, for the pros requiring an 8-iron to as little as a pitching wedge. Even with that little of a club in hand, taking dead aim at the pin is not always the prudent play. When the flag is on the left, the hole tends to play easier. For the traditional final round right-side location, players better make sure they have the wind read correctly. Come up the slightest bit short, and Rae’s Creek is looming, just waiting to become a factor into who ends up slipping on the Green Jacket. Many players have won this tournament by hitting the ball in the middle of the green on Sunday and walking off with a two-putt par. Finding the green makes the walk over Hogan’s Bridge a little more enjoyable.

Masters Moment: I don’t know if there has been a more shocking moment at number 12 than what Jordan Spieth did there during the final round in 2016. One year after tying Tiger Woods’s Masters scoring record, Spieth entered the second nine on Sunday with a 5-shot lead. After making bogey on 10 and 11, Spieth still enjoyed a 3-shot lead. From the tee, he missed the green short and right, and the ball rebounded in Rae’s Creek. After taking a drop, Spieth chunked his pitch shot into the water as well. His 5th shot ended up in the back right bunker, which managed to get up and down. Jordan carded an unfathomable quadruple-bogey 7. He would go on to lose to Danny Willett by three shots.

Last edited:
  • Staff
So there you go boys are girls, the start to the second 9. How do you think you are going to maneuver through this stretch?

I am excited to read everybody’s thoughts. The beginning of amen corner.

The back 9 coverage has finally started! It used to feel like forever waiting for CBS to start afternoon coverage back in the day.

Spieths meltdown on 12 was heartbreaking to watch at the time. He was the golden boy.

Last years meltdowns on 12 were glorious to watch. I love seeing such a short hole have a huge impact on the tournament.

as always, from the Member Tees

#10: This hole does not set up for me. Driver likely ends up going straight into the right rough or pine straw - a no-no considering the right greenside bunker as well as the slope of the green. I could reasonably draw a fairway wood and get some roll down the hill. Aim for the right side of the green with perhaps a knockdown mid iron. Do not go long! 3-putt from wherever on the green I land.

#11: For being one of the hardest holes, this one does set up well for me. Hit my driver fade as well as I can, shouldn't be much of a worry here. Short iron aiming to land at the front of the green should leave a tricky right-to-left birdie look. Just don't pull the ball into the pond!

#12: The only safe play is at the opposite end of the green. Go for it! Look at the trees. Aim at the right edge of the front bunker. Land the ball at the front of the green. Tap-in birdie! Realistically, ball over green, chip into water, card a 6.

Those were the exact three masters moments I had in mind. I wasn’t sure though with 12 if you would have thrown in an honorable mention with Couples’ up and down, or the Arnold Palmer/Ken Venturi debate. But, yeah to me 12 is gonna be linked more to how Jordan lost it right there.

I can’t believe how awesome #10 looks in the flyover. I never fully realized how that hole really looked. That Bunker in the fairway is insane too. Well done @ddec

If we're talking about chunks of 3 holes in these sets, this is my favorite, I've always enjoyed watching 10, 11 always seems like a super hard 2nd and anything can happen at 12. Every time I watch pros tee off on 12 I think to myself how many shots/attempts would it take me to get a tee ball on the green?!?!?:unsure:

If you are a fan of The Masters, unquestionably you have come across the phrase “The Masters doesn’t start until the back nine on Sunday.” The second nine, as it is so eloquently referred to on the grounds of Augusta National, always sets up for such perfect theater as some of the most iconic holes in golf are featured here.

In case you have missed what we have covered so far, here are the links to the other threads.

Holes 1-3 https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...tional-golf-club-holes-1-3-thp-style.8917361/

Holes 4-6 https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...tional-golf-club-holes-4-6-thp-style.8917412/

Holes 7-9 https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...tional-golf-club-holes-7-9-thp-style.8917455/

And as we have been doing every day, here is the final round pin sheet from 2019.

index.php

10: Camellia

2019-masters-augusta-national-golf-club-adds-additional-40-yards-to-fifth-hole.jpg

Par 4
Tournament Tees: 495
Member Tees: 450

This hole sets up well for me. I am hoping to lay up just short of the bunker to leave a full shot into the green. At my level, I am aiming for the middle and looking for a two putt par.

11: White Dogwood

MASTERS%20hole11.JPG_1514747.jpg

Par 4
Tournament Tees: 505
Members Tees: 400

This hole and are I do not think are going to get along. I am aiming for the middle of the fairway then playing to the far right of the hole but pin high. I am worried about a hook into the water so I am going to plan on missing the green right, and hope either a long two putt, or a pitch and a putt par. That water is calling my name though, and I may be reloading after a drop short and trying to up/down for a bogey.

12: Golden Bell

golden_bell.jpg

Par 3
Tournament Tees: 155
Member Tees: 145

This is were I get lost in the beauty of the course gets me start struck... I am honestly aiming at the back bunker and hoping to come up just short. At 155, I am a playing a 9 iron and hoping to be just long. I want absolutely nothing to do with the water. Ignore the hole, hunting here is folly.

On 10, I'm taking 3w all day. I feel more comforable turning that over than trying to do it with a driver. I have better odds of joining Rory up in the cabins than I do hitting that fairway with a driver. I seem to always go long on this pin location when I play it in games, so I'm just gonna aim center of green and hope I hit the green in general. I'll figure out a way to two putt from there, hopefully.

Hole 11.. Holy eff I'm in Amen Corner. After a lot of weeping, I'll pull driver, probably block it way right, have to figure something out from there. If I'm somehow in the fairway on my second, or I've punched back out into the fairway for my third, I'm aiming left edge of that bunker and just trying to hit the green. This is not a hole you want to get cute on under any circumstance. Likely bogey.

Hole 12.. Oh look, I'm crying again. Aim over the center bunker, just try to get it on the green and two putt. This hole has killed so many rounds and chances, why let it ruin mine haha. I can always make a putt for 2 or 3. Don't splash it and make it be more like a 4 or 5. Somehow, a phantom 3 that definitely wasn't mine has found its way onto property and has been following me since I hit the 11th tee. That's so weird, how did that get there and why is it only focusing on me?

On 10 I probably am going to take a 3 wood and hit it down the left side to take advantage of the hill and slope. Although I will likely end up on the right side and will have a much further shot. For my second shot, I’m going to try to avoid that big beautiful bunker that sits in the middle of the fairway. I know it’s not in play for the pros but I’m not a pro. In any event. Will likely miss short and with my chip, I will try to keep the ball below the hole. Hoping for a two putt bogey.

On 11, I’m going to hit driver and favor the right side. I’ll hit my second out to the right to avoid the pond left. Then I’m going to imagine that I’m Larry Mize.

On 12, I’m going to try to hit the middle of the green. Depending on the swing, I’m either pulling it long and left or I’m hitting a chunk into the water. I’ll probably yank it left and deep, leaving me a downhill recovery with water on the other side of the green. It will take me two chips to get on the green and then I ‘m hoping for a two putt double.

Last edited:
If we're talking about chunks of 3 holes in these sets, this is my favorite, I've always enjoyed watching 10, 11 always seems like a super hard 2nd and anything can happen at 12. Every time I watch pros tee off on 12 I think to myself how many shots/attempts would it take me to get a tee ball on the green?!?!?:unsure:

It might be my favorite too. Honestly though this stretch on the course from 7-16 is just purely awesome. To me, only 14 is a hole that's just kind of blah, even though I really dig that green complex. 10-11-12 is so good. Add 13 to that mix and I'm not sure there is a better 4 hole stretch in golf that offers beauty, biride opportunities, while still being tough, and a place where some train-wrecks can/have happened.

So I just had a conversation with a friend that played here last year about these 3 holes and he played from the members tees appropriately.

HIs one thought was that if there were 3 holes I would have wanted to move back, it is these because they look so different as you walk by them.

So I just had a conversation with a friend that played here last year about these 3 holes and he played from the members tees appropriately.

HIs one thought was that if there were 3 holes I would have wanted to move back, it is these because they look so different as you walk by them.

10 and 11, I get. The dropoff isn't as drastic looking from the member tees, and you don't get that solitude/chute effect as much from the members tees as you do the tournament tees. 12 though I would argue? While the card says there's a 10 yard difference, the two tee boxes on 12 are basically side by side. I guess I don't see the difference?

It might be my favorite too. Honestly though this stretch on the course from 7-16 is just purely awesome. To me, only 14 is a hole that's just kind of blah, even though I really dig that green complex. 10-11-12 is so good. Add 13 to that mix and I'm not sure there is a better 4 hole stretch in golf that offers beauty, biride opportunities, while still being tough, and a place where some train-wrecks can/have happened.
I agree, add 13 and that is my favorite stretch of holes in the world!

#10 im going with driver off the tee box 260ish, second shot (23*) 4 hybrid to the middle of the green, 2 putt par.
#11 im going with driver down the right side 260ish, second shot 8 iron to the middle of the green, 2 putt par.
#12 im hitting 7 iron middle right green, 2 putt par.

this is all for fun, id probably go 5,6,5 but who knows..

Everyone tells you that 10 is more downhill than you think , and then when you get there , you are amazed at how downhill it is. 11 is aim right on your second shot and hope for a bogey.12 is aim for middle of green, who cares where the pin is.

#10 Driver, hopefully on the fairway ~280-290. 6i from 170 out, slice right into the flowers. Drop skull my chip and 3 putt (7)
#11 Repeat lay up in my head the entire walk over. Testosterone hits and I slice driver into the trees. Chip back to fairway. Leave my wedge right of the green. Chip on and two putt. (6)
#12 9i go for the flag. Get lucky and drop it close. Make the putt. Retire from golf. (2)

I can see that. The tee shot on both 10 and 11 is a bit less daunting from where I remember the members tees being.

Everyone tells you that 10 is more downhill than you think , and then when you get there , you are amazed at how downhill it is. 11 is aim right on your second shot and hope for a bogey.12 is aim for middle of green, who cares where the pin is.

10 feels like you're aiming for the treetops, not a fairway. It also makes you really understand how bad a tee shot Rory hit there. I mean my God where on Earth were you aiming?!

I remember seeing something like if you stuck the statue of liberty(just lady liberty herself) at the low point of the fairway, she still wouldn’t be level with the tee box. That’s a freaking crazy visual.

The #10 is sloped huge and that doesn't come across as significantly on the Broadcast. That bunker also never gets depicted and is like a middle finger at anyone trying to run the ball onto the green. The incredible shot from the woods by Bubba!

#10 im Driver off the tee box gain some distance down the slope and hopefully a 4 Iron to the green and a deep hole location yields a potential 2 putt.

This is a favorite of mine from the shots that skip into the water to the bombs by the field that get it close. Great Hole with putts and the pond in the background.

#11 Driver off the tee and the second is a 9 iron to the front of the green, to battle it out with the putter!

Great hole with iconic scenes where pros have battled the azaelas (rory) dumped it short in the creek and hit it close.

#12 Not coming up short on this one 7 iron to the middle... lots of slopes to conquer on this green.

I remember seeing something like if you stuck the statue of liberty(just lady liberty herself) at the low point of the fairway, she still wouldn’t be level with the tee box. That’s a freaking crazy visual.

Hole 10:

Drop from the 10th tee to the lowest part of the 10th fairway = 116 feet

Statue of Liberty head-to-foot (111 feet), wearing 5-foot heels = 116 feet

Lady Liberty's gotta rock her red high heels to get to the same height, and... Why is that a thing lol

1586538374076.png

Hole 11:

Drop from 11th tee to 11th green = 62 feet

George Washington’s head on Mt. Rushmore (60 feet), with General Washington wearing a 2-foot fez = 62 feet

1586538403242.png

They have a couple more but we're on 10-12. Also, I can't stop laughing at George Washington in party mode.

TV can’t capture the elevation change on 10. You really have to see it in person to fully appreciate it. Thankfully, I’ve been there twice for practice rounds. The course is a lot more hillier than it appears on tv.

Back